The Student Room Group

Can i do pharmacy at kings college wit a grade 5 (low b) in maths and English

I really want to go kings college but they require B in maths and english to do pharmacy. Since its a low b do you think they'll let me off if i have good grades in Alevels(Biology, chemistry and psychology). Is it impossible?

I really dont want to retake as Alevels is a work load and i need to concentrat on that.

Scroll to see replies

5 = C
Reply 2
Original post by Reece.W.J
5 = C

4=C mate
Original post by mali246
4=C mate

I know you probably want to think you did better than you actually did but the new grading system overlaps. 4 low c 5 high c 6 b 7 a 8 a/* 9 high a*
4=low c

5 = high c

just retake dude , u do the exam in November if your college thinks you're good enough
Reply 5
Original post by Ray_Shadows
4=low c

5 = high c

just retake dude , u do the exam in November if your college thinks you're good enough

The problem is im aleeady retaking 2 subjects i cant do 4 subjects.
Original post by mali246
The problem is im aleeady retaking 2 subjects i cant do 4 subjects.

what 2 subjects u retaking
Original post by mali246
I really want to go kings college but they require B in maths and english to do pharmacy. Since its a low b do you think they'll let me off if i have good grades in Alevels(Biology, chemistry and psychology). Is it impossible?

I really dont want to retake as Alevels is a work load and i need to concentrat on that.

Have a read of the King's College pharmacy entry requirements :
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/pharmacy-mpharm.aspx

It clearly says:
"Also required: GCSE grade 6/B in English language and Mathematics."

Unfortunately you don't meet the GCSE entry requirements, because King's themselves say they consider a 6 to be a B.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by sindyscape62
Have a read of the King's College pharmacy entry requirements :
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/pharmacy-mpharm.aspx

It clearly says:
"Also required: GCSE grade 6/B in English language and Mathematics."

Unfortunately you don't meet the GCSE entry requirements, because King's themselves say they consider a 6 to be a B.

The government consider 6 a B it's not really up for a discussion.

This is a document produced by the government showing that a grade 5 is halfway between a C and a B:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/638308/Grading_new_GCSEs_from_2017.pdf

While a 6 is definitely a B, there is some ambiguity over whether a 5 is as well. Eg: both an 8 and a 9 are equivalent to an A*.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10

So there is no chance or hope for me to get into kings college with a 5...... greattt
Original post by mali246
So there is no chance or hope for me to get into kings college with a 5...... greattt

Resit? Ask if they could consider with good a levels?
This is a document produced by the government showing that a grade 5 is halfway between a C and a B:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/638308/Grading_new_GCSEs_from_2017.pdf

While a 6 is definitely a B, there is some ambiguity over whether a 5 is as well. Eg: both an 8 and a 9 are equivalent to an A*.

Well yes technically the top 1/3 of 5 is B and the bottom 2/3 of 6 is B but people with 6 don't say they got a even if they could've been in the top 1/3 of 6
Well yes technically the top 1/3 of 5 is B and the bottom 2/3 of 6 is B but people with 6 don't say they got a even if they could've been in the top 1/3 of 6

Have you got a source for the top third 6 overlapping with the old A? From the file I attached earlier it looks like 7, 8 and 9 between them covered A and A*, while 4, 5 and 6 covered B and C, with the 6/7 boundary in the same place as the B/A boundary.
Why dont you just email them and ask?
Original post by Appazap
Why dont you just email them and ask?

nah he should phone them so they have no reason not to speak to him , they could ignore the email or leave it for a while
Have you got a source for the top third 6 overlapping with the old A? From the file I attached earlier it looks like 7, 8 and 9 between them covered A and A*, while 4, 5 and 6 covered B and C, with the 6/7 boundary in the same place as the B/A boundary.

I don't have it but it was legit official. The new system is stupid
Original post by Ray_Shadows
nah he should phone them so they have no reason not to speak to him , they could ignore the email or leave it for a while

doubt it, when i was thinking of Oxford and Cambridge, I emailed them to check if my GCSEs were good enough and they emailed me within a week saying yeah.
The thing with phoning them is that, they can easily say yes on the phone but because you don't have it in writing, they can pretend it didn't happen.

I guess you could always ask on the phone to get it in writing but whatever is easier i guess
Original post by Appazap
doubt it, when i was thinking of Oxford and Cambridge, I emailed them to check if my GCSEs were good enough and they emailed me within a week saying yeah.
The thing with phoning them is that, they can easily say yes on the phone but because you don't have it in writing, they can pretend it didn't happen.

I guess you could always ask on the phone to get it in writing but whatever is easier i guess

yeh that's true , but in all honesty he should just retake them both or apply somewhere else , or retake atleast maths , cause i think most decent uni's want atleast a B
Reply 19
i think you should call up the admissions tutor and ask them

Quick Reply

Latest