The Student Room Group

Impacts of e-tailing

Can someone give me some points for the economic, social and environmental impacts of e-tailing please. AS Geography Edexcel.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAlchemistress

Given I gave up Geography in year 8 and don't even know what e-tailing is I'm not much help!
@Amefish look A level Geography iirc so I'm sure she'll help when she gets back online if she knows the answer :smile:
Or maybe @Leviathan1741 might know? (I know your area is geology, but I really don't have a clue what this is, and I'm guessing there's some overlap with Geography somewhere)
Original post by Lemur14
Given I gave up Geography in year 8 and don't even know what e-tailing is I'm not much help!
@Amefish look A level Geography iirc so I'm sure she'll help when she gets back online if she knows the answer :smile:
Or maybe @Leviathan1741 might know? (I know your area is geology, but I really don't have a clue what this is, and I'm guessing there's some overlap with Geography somewhere)

I admit that I had to look up what e-tailing meant (online retailing!), as I'd never heard of it either :tongue:

I covered some of the advantages and disadvantages of internet retail in my ICT A Level, however I don't know how relevant they would be to geography unfortunately :redface:
Reply 4
Can someone give me some points for the economic, social and environmental impacts of e-tailing please. AS Geography Edexcel.

Sorry I’m a Historian so I don’t know what that is. :/
Reply 5

Economic: increased sales if a business has a physical store and an estore (bigger pool of potential buyers); less jobs on high-streets as businesses move their stores online; more jobs in the postal/import/export sector

Social: more products are more widely accessible; you don't have to leave the house to get products, so people may lack a social connection when shopping; people in rural areas with no shops around can access mainstream and niche goods

Environmental: more products sent via the mail, this could mean increased pollution from planes, ships (if international), and also means more packaging. There was an issue with Amazon's packaging service (using too much), you might be able to look at it as a case example?

I'm a bit rusty on this topic, haven't really covered it in great detail for a while. Hope this helps, though :smile: you should be able to expand more given the simple pointers I've mentioned!
Original post by Lemur14

Original post by Leviathan1741
I admit that I had to look up what e-tailing meant (online retailing!), as I'd never heard of it either :tongue:

I covered some of the advantages and disadvantages of internet retail in my ICT A Level, however I don't know how relevant they would be to geography unfortunately :redface:

Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Sorry I’m a Historian so I don’t know what that is. :/

Original post by Amefish
Economic: increased sales if a business has a physical store and an estore (bigger pool of potential buyers); less jobs on high-streets as businesses move their stores online; more jobs in the postal/import/export sector

Social: more products are more widely accessible; you don't have to leave the house to get products, so people may lack a social connection when shopping; people in rural areas with no shops around can access mainstream and niche goods

Environmental: more products sent via the mail, this could mean increased pollution from planes, ships (if international), and also means more packaging. There was an issue with Amazon's packaging service (using too much), you might be able to look at it as a case example?

I'm a bit rusty on this topic, haven't really covered it in great detail for a while. Hope this helps, though :smile: you should be able to expand more given the simple pointers I've mentioned!

Thank you Moderators :-) I appreicate it.

ah well, it was worth a try!
My first thought was maybe something linked to less pollution because there were less people driving to the shops but then I remembered that the stuff that was ordered would be driven to your house anyway :lol:
Original post by Lemur14
My first thought was maybe something linked to less pollution because there were less people driving to the shops but then I remembered that the stuff that was ordered would be driven to your house anyway :lol:

I'm happy you remembered me :hugs: :biggrin:

That was my first thought as well :lol:
Original post by Lemur14

:h: it would still cause pollution either way.
Original post by Lemur14

Thanks for the help though.
Thank you Moderators :-) I appreicate it.

No problem :smile: I'm always happy to be tagged in stuff (although if it's Geography I probably won't know :lol:)

:hugs: It was a case of we must have more than 1 ST who knows about Geography, who might know :lol: Then I remembered you made the Geography FAQ :smile:
I'm glad it's not just me!
:h: it would still cause pollution either way.

Thanks for the help though.

Yeah I realised that...just took me a little while!
No problem :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
No problem :smile: I'm always happy to be tagged in stuff (although if it's Geography I probably won't know :lol:)

:hugs: It was a case of we must have more than 1 ST who knows about Geography, who might know :lol: Then I remembered you made the Geography FAQ :smile:
I'm glad it's not just me!

I guess we need more chatrooms to do with these things with members.
I guess we need more chatrooms to do with these things with members.

There's a A level Geography Community here if you want to join :smile:
Original post by Lemur14

Thank you.
Original post by Lemur14

Is there one for Edexcel English Literature?
Thank you.

Is there one for Edexcel English Literature?

There's a general English study group here, for both english lit and language :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
There's a general English study group here, for both english lit and language :smile:

Thanks again.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending