The Student Room Group

Which A-Level Combination would you suggest?

Without further ado,

(i) Alternative 1: 5AS: Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Conputer Science and Information Technology and 3 A-Levels: Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
-Going to be sitting for 4AS(Chemistry, Physics. Maths and Information Technology) in Summer '18 and then 3A-Levels and 1AS(Computer Science) for Summer '19.
(ii) Alternative 2: 4AS: Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Information Technology and 4A-Levels: Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
-This is the more ideal version but I'll do if I think I can manage it A-Level Computer Science my own and so will eventually decide during the Summer Vacation of '18. If need be, I'll be dropping AS Information Technology.
(iii) Alternative 3: 4AS: Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Computer Science and 3A-Levels: Chemistry, Maths and Physics or 3AS: Chemistry, Maths and Physics and 4A'Levels: Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
-I'll do 3AS in Summer '18 and then do 3A-Levels and 1AS(Computer Science) in Summer '19 or 3AS in Summer '18 and 4A-Levels in Summer '19.

Due to a wide range of complications, these are some of the alternatives I've come up with to tackle my A-Level Campaign. Just so y'all know, I haven't done any Social Science subject or Computer-related subjects back during my IGCSEs and will not be taking Further Mathematics because it's a two year course and I can not take it during my AS-Levels. My current school does not offer Computer Science but Information Technology but back in my country, Computer Science is the more valid choice since there's a lack of resources on Information Technology back there and ample resources for Computer Science instead. I'm going to be doing under the CIE Exam Board by the way and each AS-Level makes up 50% qualification of the whole A-Level course as a standalone. So, I'm thinking of taking both Information Technology and Computer Science as a standalone AS separately across the two years first with Information Technology and then Computer Science(as per Alternative 1). I could also take AS Information Technology here and self study Computer Science a little during this semester and then start actual studying from the Summer Vacation of '18 to decide whether or not I'll be taking the full A-Level course or just AS as a standalone. If need be, I can drop Information Technology. By the way, I won't be doing AS Compute Science because I won't be attending any classes for it and I'm not really confident in my self-teaching ability although I managed an A* in IGCSE Chemistry. I have been thinking that taking both Computer Science and Information Technology might be useless but is it really?

So now, which of the three alternative do you think would be most applicable and valid for me? Do you have any other suggestion? If so, please do share them with me. I'll be doing Automative Engineering in University level so can someone help me out?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MushiRock11
Without further ado,

(i) Alternative 1: 5AS: Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Conputer Science and Information Technology and 3 A-Levels: Chemistry, Physics and Maths.
-Going to be sitting for 4AS(Chemistry, Physics. Maths and Information Technology) in Summer '18 and then 3A-Levels and 1AS(Computer Science) for Summer '19.
(ii) Alternative 2: 4AS: Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Information Technology and 4A-Levels: Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
-This is the more ideal version but I'll do if I think I can manage it A-Level Computer Science my own and so will eventually decide during the Summer Vacation of '18. If need be, I'll be dropping AS Information Technology.
(iii) Alternative 3: 4AS: Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Computer Science and 3A-Levels: Chemistry, Maths and Physics or 3AS: Chemistry, Maths and Physics and 4A'Levels: Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Computer Science.
-I'll do 3AS in Summer '18 and then do 3A-Levels and 1AS(Computer Science) in Summer '19 or 3AS in Summer '18 and 4A-Levels in Summer '19.

Due to a wide range of complications, these are some of the alternatives I've come up with to tackle my A-Level Campaign. Just so y'all know, I haven't done any Social Science subject or Computer-related subjects back during my IGCSEs and will not be taking Further Mathematics because it's a two year course and I can not take it during my AS-Levels. My current school does not offer Computer Science but Information Technology but back in my country, Computer Science is the more valid choice since there's a lack of resources on Information Technology back there and ample resources for Computer Science instead. I'm going to be doing under the CIE Exam Board by the way and each AS-Level makes up 50% qualification of the whole A-Level course as a standalone. So, I'm thinking of taking both Information Technology and Computer Science as a standalone AS separately across the two years first with Information Technology and then Computer Science(as per Alternative 1). I could also take AS Information Technology here and self study Computer Science a little during this semester and then start actual studying from the Summer Vacation of '18 to decide whether or not I'll be taking the full A-Level course or just AS as a standalone. If need be, I can drop Information Technology. By the way, I won't be doing AS Compute Science because I won't be attending any classes for it and I'm not really confident in my self-teaching ability although I managed an A* in IGCSE Chemistry. I have been thinking that taking both Computer Science and Information Technology might be useless but is it really?

So now, which of the three alternative do you think would be most applicable and valid for me? Do you have any other suggestion? If so, please do share them with me. I'll be doing Automative Engineering in University level so can someone help me out?

Why don't you just do three a levels: chemistry, maths and physics?
Original post by Queenie123
Why don't you just do three a levels: chemistry, maths and physics?

Well, I'd like to do a fourth one and that too to be related to Computers because it will prove useful if I'm going down the Automative Engineeipring courses. I've already done minimal number of IGCSEs, so having an extra A-Level might just save me.
Original post by MushiRock11
Well, I'd like to do a fourth one and that too to be related to Computers because it will prove useful if I'm going down the Automative Engineeipring courses. I've already done minimal number of IGCSEs, so having an extra A-Level might just save me.

Firstly, doing a fourth level will not give you a distinct advantage as universities would only give you an offer based on three, and doing a fourth level might mean that you get lower grades for your other subjects

However if you really think you are capable and you really want to do it, then okay.

Secondly, because of the new Linear A levels, AS levels are almost useless, so if you were to take four subjects, it's best to take them all through to A2.

So your choice here is to take three or four a levels. X
Original post by Queenie123
Firstly, doing a fourth level will not give you a distinct advantage as universities would only give you an offer based on three, and doing a fourth level might mean that you get lower grades for your other subjects

However if you really think you are capable and you really want to do it, then okay.

Secondly, because of the new Linear A levels, AS levels are almost useless, so if you were to take four subjects, it's best to take them all through to A2.

So your choice here is to take three or four a levels. X

I'm said to be capable of doing more and I really want to do it too.
About the new Linear A-Levels, is it also the case for CIE?
XBesides, it's clearly written in the syllabus that the AS standalone is worth 50% of the whole A-Level combination, so is it really useless even then?

Quick Reply

Latest