The Student Room Group

RAes, IET, IOP and other Engineering societies - are you a member?

Hi!

Are any of you members of Engineering bodies of societies? This could be any of the following:

Royal Aeronautical Society

IET

IMechE

Institute of Physics

WISE

(And there will be others, which I can't think of right now but will add in the future)

I'm just wondering what your experiences are of these societies and if it was worth your while joining them?

If you're a member, did you apply through your employer, school or college, or was it entirely off your own back?

Why did you want to join?

And what sorts of things have you been involved in, that you wouldn't otherwise have had the opportunity to do?

Thanks everyone! :h:
I've found another society - WES - does anyone know about this? :smile: Thanks
Original post by brainzistheword
Hi!

Are any of you members of Engineering bodies of societies? This could be any of the following:

Royal Aeronautical Society

IET

IMechE

Institute of Physics

WISE

(And there will be others, which I can't think of right now but will add in the future)

I'm just wondering what your experiences are of these societies and if it was worth your while joining them?

If you're a member, did you apply through your employer, school or college, or was it entirely off your own back?

Why did you want to join?

And what sorts of things have you been involved in, that you wouldn't otherwise have had the opportunity to do?

Thanks everyone! :h:

I'm an associate member of the IMechE. I believe students are entitled to free affiliate membership of the IMechE, and possibly other institutions as well, although I am not aware of their policies.

Definitely worthwhile joining and going to the industrial visits, lectures, etc.
Original post by Smack
I'm an associate member of the IMechE. I believe students are entitled to free affiliate membership of the IMechE, and possibly other institutions as well, although I am not aware of their policies.

Definitely worthwhile joining and going to the industrial visits, lectures, etc.

Thanks for replying!

I'm an apprentice so some do offer free membership but I am wondering how good they are in terms of development and how it is being an ambassador for them, like going into schools etc?

How are you finding your membership? Do you volunteer with them and go to lots of their events? :smile:
I'm a student member of ICE (Institute of Civil Engineers). There's a load of resources on it though mostly for reading in interest but it also has a load of career tracking content which will be important for when I graduate. I originally joined on my own a while back but it was a pre student membership, became a student member 2 months ago though I thought I had applied higher during my uni course.

My first experience with it was attending a small talk at its building about disaster situations which I attended for when I was applying to my uni course, helped a lot and showed more involved with what I could be doing.

I'll be doing my chartership through them as they're the governing body for my profession (well which I'm studying for).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Vikingninja
I'm a student member of ICE (Institute of Civil Engineers). There's a load of resources on it though mostly for reading in interest but it also has a load of career tracking content which will be important for when I graduate. I originally joined on my own a while back but it was a pre student membership, became a student member 2 months ago though I thought I had applied higher during my uni course.

My first experience with it was attending a small talk at its building about disaster situations which I attended for when I was applying to my uni course, helped a lot and showed more involved with what I could be doing.

I'll be doing my chartership through them as they're the governing body for my profession (well which I'm studying for).

Ah I see! Thanks for the reply, sounds like it is a really good thing to be involved with. Do you volunteer with them or anything like that?
Original post by brainzistheword
Thanks for replying!

I'm an apprentice so some do offer free membership but I am wondering how good they are in terms of development and how it is being an ambassador for them, like going into schools etc?

How are you finding your membership? Do you volunteer with them and go to lots of their events? :smile:

Yes. Events are definitely useful and volunteering can be a good way to build up your communication and organisational skills, as well as enhance your CV.
Original post by Smack
Yes. Events are definitely useful and volunteering can be a good way to build up your communication and organisational skills, as well as enhance your CV.

Ah cool thanks for your help! All I have to do now is figure out which one is best suited to me...
Just bumping in case someone can contribute :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending