The Student Room Group

EPQ Help!!!

Hello everyone...
I have choose a question for EPQ about equality and I want you to tell me is the question good enough and how can it be better. The question is....
'Are men and women equal in today's modern Britain?'
I will appropriate your contribution.
Thanxx
Reply 1
Original post by N.Zafar
Hello everyone...
I have choose a question for EPQ about equality and I want you to tell me is the question good enough and how can it be better. The question is....
'Are men and women equal in today's modern Britain?'
I will appropriate your contribution.
Thanxx

Yes.

What would be interesting for you to cover is the wage gap, an argument often proposed by feminists. Look at all the variables and come down to your own conclusion.

Many feminists say that women are being held back in education
Women are receiving better grades than men on average, and more are getting accepted into university than men.

Many feminists state that the wage gap is a feature contemporary patriarchal society, but this is simply wrong. They don't take into account all the variables as to why women might earn less than men (on average)
Women take maternity leave and often have to take long periods of time out of work to be able to take care of children.
Men are more likely to work longer hours.
Men are more likely to push for higher salaries.
Men are less likely to take leave.
Interestingly, some statistics do show that women earn more on average than men until the age of 30 (coincidentally, the time when women start having children).

In other areas, women generally take custody of children more than men.
On average, men are more likely to commit suicide.

Take all of these factors into account and draw your own conclusion. I suggest you don't follow the conventional arguments, in order to make your argument and interesting. Remember to show both sides of the argument and subsequently crush your opposing one.
Reply 2
Original post by Djerun
Yes.

What would be interesting for you to cover is the wage gap, an argument often proposed by feminists. Look at all the variables and come down to your own conclusion.

Many feminists say that women are being held back in education
Women are receiving better grades than men on average, and more are getting accepted into university than men.

Many feminists state that the wage gap is a feature contemporary patriarchal society, but this is simply wrong. They don't take into account all the variables as to why women might earn less than men (on average)
Women take maternity leave and often have to take long periods of time out of work to be able to take care of children.
Men are more likely to work longer hours.
Men are more likely to push for higher salaries.
Men are less likely to take leave.
Interestingly, some statistics do show that women earn more on average than men until the age of 30 (coincidentally, the time when women start having children).

In other areas, women generally take custody of children more than men.
On average, men are more likely to commit suicide.

Take all of these factors into account and draw your own conclusion. I suggest you don't follow the conventional arguments, in order to make your argument and interesting. Remember to show both sides of the argument and subsequently crush your opposing one.

So what you mean is that there are some factors that can come under the question. I should use both for and against based arguments to make it look more realistic and interesting project. Do you think this question is fine for my EPQ project and also do you think i should change the question a little bit more to make it look much more better...
However, thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
Reply 3
Original post by N.Zafar
So what you mean is that there are some factors that can come under the question. I should use both for and against based arguments to make it look more realistic and interesting project. Do you think this question is fine for my EPQ project and also do you think i should change the question a little bit more to make it look much more better...
However, thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Yes, use both sides of the argument but come to a solid conclusion, justifying why one argument is wrong, and yours is right. Show the valid points of an argument and perhaps why they might be right in a sense, but ultimately show how wrong that argument is. Basically, counter your own argument and then counter that. Pretty hard to explain :/

It sounds like a good EPQ question to me!
Reply 4
Original post by Djerun
Yes, use both sides of the argument but come to a solid conclusion, justifying why one argument is wrong, and yours is right. Show the valid points of an argument and perhaps why they might be right in a sense, but ultimately show how wrong that argument is. Basically, counter your own argument and then counter that. Pretty hard to explain :/

It sounds like a good EPQ question to me!

Thank you so much. This is really helpful. I will surely do that and let you know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending