The Student Room Group

How long for Pre-employment Checks with Civil Service

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sho01254
11 weeks now and still no update from the pre-employment checks. Really frustrating..:frown:

Hi there, when did you submit all your documents? I was sent another medical questionnaire since filling one out weeks back. I sent all mine late July and still nothing :frown:
Original post by Chibicandi
Hi there, when did you submit all your documents? I was sent another medical questionnaire since filling one out weeks back. I sent all mine late July and still nothing :frown:

I submitted all my documents on the 21st July, same time I accepted the offer, and then early August I was asked by OHAssist to complete an online HealthCare Questionnaire . Since then nothing, I have chased HR a couple of times but always the same response "it is progressing" ....I did receive my DBS cert in the post which I queried if it needed to be sent anywhere but was told not required as there were no concerns on it.
(edited 6 years ago)
I submitted all my documents on the 21st July, same time I accepted the offer, and then early August I was asked by OHAssist to complete an online HealthCare Questionnaire . Since then nothing, I have chased HR a couple of times but always the same response "it is progressing" ....I did receive my DBS cert in the post which I queried if it needed to be sent anywhere but was told not required as there were no concerns on it.

We're in the same boat then! Glad to hear I'm not the only one - I know they are notorious for taking a long time.
We're in the same boat then! Glad to hear I'm not the only one - I know they are notorious for taking a long time.

I have just received a response after a chase up this morning. It seems to be from someone senior as the title is "Director of Delivery".. he has mentioned that I should receive my final offer by the end of the week and has asked as to when I can start once contract is agreed.
It is a shame that we have to do the chasing but there seems to be some hope..lets wait till the end of the week and see if anything turns up :s-smilie:
I have just received a response after a chase up this morning. It seems to be from someone senior as the title is "Director of Delivery".. he has mentioned that I should receive my final offer by the end of the week and has asked as to when I can start once contract is agreed.
It is a shame that we have to do the chasing but there seems to be some hope..lets wait till the end of the week and see if anything turns up :s-smilie:

Oh that's great. Can I ask where in the UK you'll be based? Would like to think I'll hear the same eventually!
Oh that's great. Can I ask where in the UK you'll be based? Would like to think I'll hear the same eventually!

I am based in the North West so I have requested to be located at Salford Manchester as my first choice. My Interview was at Newcastle. There were a number of vacancies available for the position Nationally.
(edited 6 years ago)
I would suggest you contact a depart you forwarded completed forms to and ask for update which will put your mind at rest hopefully!
Firstly wanted to say thank you to everybody on this forum as it has helped me in knowing that I am not the only person in this position.

Story so far:I accepted my provisional offer on the 21st of July (over 7 weeks now), the role is for a Project Manager based in Manchester but since my acceptance I have had no news other than receiving the DBS cert through the post, I emailed to ask if I should send the form to them but the response was that it is not required as my record was clear. None of my references have been approached so far. I was made redundant over 5 months ago and was hoping that I would be back into work till now, after accepting the HMRC position I have declined other opportunities and also stopped searching for any other roles as HMRC would be a great step in my career but this wait is really making me anxious and worried now.

Today I sent an email to the lady who was organizing the interviews to see if she can provide more info in regards to a timeframe as supporting the family is now becoming quite difficult.Would be great to know if anyone else has been offered the same role (IT Project Manager) as there were around 10 positions around the country and what their situation is.Thanks in Advance

Hi

How long after the interview did it take to hear back? Ive been waiting to hear back for 4 weeks now
Original post by zohaib01
Hi

How long after the interview did it take to hear back? Ive been waiting to hear back for 4 weeks now

I was informed 1 week later of being successful but this was after chasing it up due as I had another job offer so required the outcome asap to make an informed decision.On another application which was unsuccessful I received no feedback but instead 4 weeks later my status online changed to being unsuccessful.

Throughout this process I have learnt that you need to chase them up every couple of weeks, I have been in contact with the HR rep who I dealt with during my interview, she was very prompt in responding.

Hope this helps and good luck
I've spoken to a recruitment partner and they said the issue is with Occupational Health. I told him I've sent a second form off so hoping it won't be much longer now.
I've spoken to a recruitment partner and they said the issue is with Occupational Health. I told him I've sent a second form off so hoping it won't be much longer now.

Seems like my persistent has paid off, got the call from HR this morning apologising for the delay which as as you have mentioned is due to OHAssist having issues.

They have agreed for me to start on a conditional offer to avoid further delays, the condition is that the health checks come through ok. we have agreed to start in 2 weeks. Just awaiting the contract and hopefully the numbers are good.

I would keep the mobile nearby and charged as she said there were many in this situation so maybe going through a list of sort.

Good Luck.
I was informed 1 week later of being successful but this was after chasing it up due as I had another job offer so required the outcome asap to make an informed decision.On another application which was unsuccessful I received no feedback but instead 4 weeks later my status online changed to being unsuccessful.

Throughout this process I have learnt that you need to chase them up every couple of weeks, I have been in contact with the HR rep who I dealt with during my interview, she was very prompt in responding.

Hope this helps and good luck

Ive had an interview at another deparment. I chased them after 2 weeks and they said they were still processing everything. Ive had another interview so really want to know if i got the civil service one or not. Ive sent an email to the recruitment team. I dont know why it takes so long
I am worrying too. I had the initial job offer 4 weeks ago for EO work coach position. I've not had any forms to fill in. All I had to do was to scan my 3 forms of I'D and email them to the lady who made the job offer. She said once the checks had come back she'd be in touch with a start date. I wasn't told what checks were to be done or how long it can take. I haven't got any criminal record but I do have a bad credit rating ccj etc but no fraud. Will the bad credit rating go against me if they do credit reference checks? Should I have had these forms to fill out for health checks etc?
Original post by Puddlemonkey
I am worrying too. I had the initial job offer 4 weeks ago for EO work coach position. I've not had any forms to fill in. All I had to do was to scan my 3 forms of I'D and email them to the lady who made the job offer. She said once the checks had come back she'd be in touch with a start date. I wasn't told what checks were to be done or how long it can take. I haven't got any criminal record but I do have a bad credit rating ccj etc but no fraud. Will the bad credit rating go against me if they do credit reference checks? Should I have had these forms to fill out for health checks etc?

Hi,

From my experience they do checks on 2 areas, one is to prove that you are a person of good character and secondly that you are fit and healthy to do the job or will they need to make special arrangements for you.

For the first they perform a DBS check (previously CRB) and for the second a HealthCare check and both of these are done by external companies which is where the major delays seem to be. I am pretty sure they would not do a Financial background check unless you were declared bankrupt at any point which I would assume would come up on the DBS check, but again that does not necessarily mean you would be rejected as there are valid reasons for this to happen.
You should have completed forms and one of them would have been a healthcare questionnaire consenting to access your medial records if required, but if you haven't then I got a second email around 2 weeks later by a company called OHAssist to complete online. From my discussion yesterday this company has got some technical issues thus the delays so some individuals have got paper copies from somewhere. For your peace of mind I would recommend emailing your HR contact stating that you do not remember completing any healthcare forms and if these are required then can they inform you of the process or forward on the relevant docs.

The average time according to all these forums seems to be 8-12 weeks with some exceptions so I would not worry too much yet but every couple of weeks chase them up as I have been doing for your own peace of mind.

Hope this Helps and Good Luck.
I have just logged on to the civil service website and viewed my applications and attachments. I have had the forms as attachments but no emails. It doesn't state anywhere how to return these forms once filled in other than the medical form with a return address. There's a pension form, a form to agree having the checks done etc and an information form about employment levels and changes etc. I will get the medical form filled out but how or where do I send the other forms back as no emails or addresses on them?
The medical form was the only form I had to complete after the offer was made, email address for this was on the form, the other forms you mention were handed over during the interview process along with ID docs. If you were not asked for these during the interview I would recommend asking your HR contact.
The only thing I had to provide at interview were my I'D and they only gave one form at interview which was a preferred location form. I have however noticed the dates that they sent the attachments on the communications section is a few months after i had the interview.
I've never worked within civil service before so it's all new to me. Is HR contact the person who called me with the job offer?
Reply 57
Hi does anyone have number for the pre-employment team or HMRC recruitment?
Reply 58
Sorry I have not checked this thread for a while

I got a call from Occupational Health soon after and the lady said it’s all good. She did go into detail about reasonable adjustments so that would be the best time to mention.

I then heard from my line manager with a start day and training options (locations/dates) etc

I’m still in the same position.

If anyone needs any more clearance please feel free to PM me
Can anyone help with my quandary? On my work history in the application i put down that i was doing voluntary unpaid work from 2012-2015. When it came to providing references i provided 2 paid work references from the last 3 years not to mention 1 personal reference. Do you think they will want a reference from the service i volunteered at or will the 2 paid work references suffice? Worrying because the manager who was there himself left in 2016 and it would be hard to chase him up to provide me with a reference if DWP ask for it. Obviously my time doing volunteer work won't show up in the HMRC PAYE system or anywhere else because it was nonpaid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending