Please help EPQ ideas on a topic related to maths

I want to do a maths degree at uni please give me ideas for my EPQ. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Balkaran
I want to do a maths degree at uni please give me ideas for my EPQ. Thanks

Anyone?
Anyone?

Which uni do you want to go to? And how good is your maths ????

I've just done an EPQ on maths, so may give you some suggestions.
Reply 3
Original post by Andy Lau
Which uni do you want to go to? And how good is your maths ????

I've just done an EPQ on maths, so may give you some suggestions.

Thanks for the response I'm aiming for a Russel group uni my first choice would be oxford. I know they don't look at EPQs to lower entry requirements but I heard its good on your personal statement and if I don't get in there other unis may like it. I would say I'm really good at maths I got a 9 in GCSE which is equivalent to A** and an A^ in further maths GCSE. I'm doing maths, further maths and physics for A-level.

I was thinking about doing my EPQ on how maths has evolved over history. It started as us being cavemen and using tokens to represent numbers. Then us actually representing numbers in a number line. Talk about how 0 was created then negatives etc. At the end complex numbers.
Thanks for the response I'm aiming for a Russel group uni my first choice would be oxford. I know they don't look at EPQs to lower entry requirements but I heard its good on your personal statement and if I don't get in there other unis may like it. I would say I'm really good at maths I got a 9 in GCSE which is equivalent to A** and an A^ in further maths GCSE. I'm doing maths, further maths and physics for A-level.

I was thinking about doing my EPQ on how maths has evolved over history. It started as us being cavemen and using tokens to represent numbers. Then us actually representing numbers in a number line. Talk about how 0 was created then negatives etc. At the end complex numbers.

Sounds good but quite broad as a topic to span from prehistoric times to present. Maybe selecting a single era or mathematician would be more appropriate to gain marks for remaining focused, allowing you to go into more depth.

Yes I agree with the previous post. Do select a certain time period. If I were you I would probably investigate the history of calculus because its development was somewhat different from other branches of maths. It was like......building the groundwork after you've done the main part of a building. There are some great books to read, such as
The history of mathematics by CB Boyer

P.s. I did mine on the Riemann Hypothesis......absolutely a nightmare for me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Andy Lau
Yes I agree with the previous post. Do select a certain time period. If I were you I would probably investigate the history of calculus because its development was somewhat different from other branches of maths. It was like......building the groundwork after you've done the main part of a building. There are some great books to read, such as
The history of mathematics from CB Boyer

P.s. I did mine on the Riemann Hypothesis......absolutely a nightmare for me.

Thanks for the help I'll look into it. I just think it will be difficult writing 6000 words but I'm sure it is possible. BTW what grade did you get and any tips before I start. I think our school starts the EPQ next week so I'll do some before hand research on calculus.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest