The Student Room Group

Where should i apply for medicine

Hi! I am an international student applying for medicine next year. My UKCAT went horribly and i ended up getting a below average score (2420) which was not expected at all.

* I am aware that since I am an international student my chances are very low but hopefully my good grades and other factors make up for it. I am still gonna try though*

So I need *3 best options* among the ones which I have narrowed down to. Pls rate them acc to
1.how the uni is
2. How the city life is (since i am an international student idk much about the cities)

ok so my options are - Barts and the london (QMUL) , birmingham, st georges, cardiff (not too sure about wales really)

I wont be writing the BMAT so pls rate the above unis.

Scroll to see replies

Can't tell without knowing your predicted and GCSEs
Original post by ArcaneMists
Can't tell without knowing your predicted and GCSEs

I didnt do GCSEs and A levels. Instead my international qualifications are good enough for all my options. Also in some of the unis mentioned my grades are better than the equivalent A level grades.
Idk if i am making myself clear here lolol. But what i basically mean is if university X needs A*AA, I have the equivalent grade.
Original post by tryingtogeta*s
I didnt do GCSEs and A levels. Instead my international qualifications are good enough for all my options. Also in some of the unis mentioned my grades are better than the equivalent A level grades.
Idk if i am making myself clear here lolol. But what i basically mean is if university X needs A*AA, I have the equivalent grade.

Sorry hard to tell which schools you will have a better chance at then but Bart's seems risky with that score.
Sorry hard to tell which schools you will have a better chance at then but Bart's seems risky with that score.

Aah thanx! Barts interview people above 3rd decile so hopefully i have some chance after the ukcat scores are released on 6th
(edited 6 years ago)
Aah thanx! Barts interview people above 3rd decile

Not necessarily. That's their cutoff. Most applicants usually have 650+ scores on the ukcat. Queen Mary uses a 50:50 weighting of ucas tariff points and ukcat to select people for interviews. With your score, you're likely going to need excellent predictions. I would say there are safer options but if you love queen Mary, go for it by all means.
Not necessarily. That's their cutoff. Most applicants usually have 650+ scores on the ukcat. Queen Mary uses a 50:50 weighting of ucas tariff points and ukcat to select people for interviews. With your score, you're likely going to need excellent predictions. I would say there are safer options but if you love queen Mary, go for it by all means.

I kindof want to live in london since it is more diverse than other UK cities, hence going to qmul was a thought.
Oh btw are you also an applicant or a medical student?
I kindof want to live in london since it is more diverse than other UK cities, hence going to qmul was a thought.
Oh btw are you also an applicant or a medical student?

Also an international applicant lol. Btw you can calculate your tariff online on ucas website.
Reply 8
I live in Cardiff, and the city is lovely. It's large, but easy to get around. There's loads of places to visit - Cardiff Castle, Penarth Pier, Cardiff Bay, etc. The city really welcoming towards students too, as accommodation is cheap, there are loads of social events within the university and everyone who goes there seems to have a great time. The university campus is beautiful and it's about a 5-10 minutes walk from town. The medicine course is CBL, you get a mix of lectures, small group learning, patient contact, etc. You get placements around Wales so you can experience both city hospitals and rural hospitals.

The course at Birmingham looks good, it's mainly lecture based. The university campus is great as the medical school is close by, but the city centre is about a 30 minute bus journey away :/ The city is great as well, second largest city in the UK, loads of places to visit.

I've never been to the Barts campus but I've been to Queen Mary, and the atmosphere seemed really depressing, there was a cemetery on campus, and the campus was situated above the underground so you could hear and feel vibrations of the trains. Didn't really appeal to me :/
Also an international applicant lol. Btw you can calculate your tariff online on ucas website.

Good luck!! Which schools are you applying to?
Gosh theres only 11 days left till the deadline 😣
Good luck!! Which schools are you applying to?
Gosh theres only 11 days left till the deadline 😣

Thanks good luck to you too! I finished my apps already and I choose QMUL, KCL, Manchester and Leicester.
Original post by khookie
I live in Cardiff, and the city is lovely. It's large, but easy to get around. There's loads of places to visit - Cardiff Castle, Penarth Pier, Cardiff Bay, etc. The city really welcoming towards students too, as accommodation is cheap, there are loads of social events within the university and everyone who goes there seems to have a great time. The university campus is beautiful and it's about a 5-10 minutes walk from town. The medicine course is CBL, you get a mix of lectures, small group learning, patient contact, etc. You get placements around Wales so you can experience both city hospitals and rural hospitals.

The course at Birmingham looks good, it's mainly lecture based. The university campus is great as the medical school is close by, but the city centre is about a 30 minute bus journey away :/ The city is great as well, second largest city in the UK, loads of places to visit.

I've never been to the Barts campus but I've been to Queen Mary, and the atmosphere seemed really depressing, there was a cemetery on campus, and the campus was situated above the underground so you could hear and feel vibrations of the trains. Didn't really appeal to me :/

Hmm that sounds interesting! I guess i should try for Birmingham and Cardiff anyways as they appeal to applicants with low UKCAT :biggrin:.
And what you told about QMUL just caught me offguard. I really didnt expect that of a London uni! :/
So i need atleast 3 medical school options and so far I am happy with Birmingham and Cardiff after researching and hearing your opinions.
Keele and bristol didnt really appeal to me so what do you guys think my 3rd option should be?
Although bristol is very competitive for both home and international students, they don't place as much weight on the UKCAt so you might want to use that as a backup.
Thanks good luck to you too! I finished my apps already and I choose QMUL, KCL, Manchester and Leicester.

Thanx!! You must have got amazing scores to apply in those unis.
I want to go to KCL but ughh ukcat :frown:
Thanx!! You must have got amazing scores to apply in those unis.
I want to go to KCL but ughh ukcat :frown:

I have an okay ukcat score but my academics compensate :P
Original post by djdubzzy
Although bristol is very competitive for both home and international students, they don't place as much weight on the UKCAt so you might want to use that as a backup.

Thanx for your opinion. I was just watching videos on Bristol and it seems like a place I would go for day trips (coz of the art and harbourside) and not somewhere that I particularly would like to live in. :/
Hmm that sounds interesting! I guess i should try for Birmingham and Cardiff anyways as they appeal to applicants with low UKCAT :biggrin:.
And what you told about QMUL just caught me offguard. I really didnt expect that of a London uni! :/

Yeah, I much preferred Imperial and Kings to Queen Mary. I heard the Barts campus is nice though. And Cardiff and Birmingham are GCSE heavy, you should see if they accept your qualifications first
I have an okay ukcat score but my academics compensate :P

Hey Arcane Mists,

I read that you're also an international applicant and as I'm a little lost with where to apply, may I ask what motivated you to choose the universities that you did? I got a 722.5 UKCAT and I believe I have a 2:1 (my GPA is 3.6-3.7) in my BSc and my highschool marks were an average of 94%. Any help would be really appreciated !
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rollvert
Hey Arcane Mists,

I read that you're also an international applicant and as I'm a little lost with where to apply, may I ask what motivated you to choose the universities that you did? I got a 722.5 UKCAT and I believe I have a 2:1 (my GPA is 3.6-3.7) in my BSc and my highschool marks were an average of 94%. Any help would be really appreciated !

Sorry I'm not that knowledgable with graduate entry. I choose my schools because my ukcat was ok 695, and my academics are very good (high GCSEs and predicted)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending