The Student Room Group

What do sports science graduates do?

Hi! I'm currently in s5 and I'm applying to uni this year. The courses I'm applying for are Applied Sports Science in Edinburgh, Sport and Exercise Science in Stirling, Physiology Sports Science and Nutrition in Glasgow, Physiology and Sports Science in Glasgow and Sport and Physical Activity in Strathclyde
The problem is I've chosen these courses because I find the content interesting but have no idea what i can do after I graduate. So my question is what can someone do with a sports science degree and no other qualifications and training?
answers from people who have actually found a job with their sports science degree or know someone who has will be extremely appreciated, but basically I just need all the advice i can get!
Original post by idkwhatimdoingg
Hi! I'm currently in s5 and I'm applying to uni this year. The courses I'm applying for are Applied Sports Science in Edinburgh, Sport and Exercise Science in Stirling, Physiology Sports Science and Nutrition in Glasgow, Physiology and Sports Science in Glasgow and Sport and Physical Activity in Strathclyde
The problem is I've chosen these courses because I find the content interesting but have no idea what i can do after I graduate. So my question is what can someone do with a sports science degree and no other qualifications and training?
answers from people who have actually found a job with their sports science degree or know someone who has will be extremely appreciated, but basically I just need all the advice i can get!

Teach PE in a secondary school.

:P jk I dunno.
Someone I know from school works for Hawkeye now, and spends her time travelling the world, at tennis tournaments mainly
I'm friends with a lot of sport science / sport science and physiology students at my uni and have met a few grads.
good news is - they're all employed haha. Mostly in further education doing;
-Physiotherapy, Nutrition, specific branches of medicine such as cardiac physiology (which require post grad training) (note that Physio is no longer NHS funded and because its a 2 year course you need to fund second year - around £10k, yourself)
-Primary school teaching or PGCE PE / Biology / Maths
-On the NHS scientist trainee programme
-Working in pharmaceuticals
-Training for personal trainer qualifications
-Someone is working in marketing in london earning mega ££
Reply 4

Hi I am applying for these courses this year and was wondering which one you ended up choosing and what it is like?

Hi @idkwhatimdoingg

It is great that you are considering studying sports science and all the best with your applications.

Sports science has a range of careers which it can lead too. Careers include sports rehabilitation, personal training, physical education, physiotherapy, coaching, weight management and performance analysis in settings including schools, gyms, sports clubs and hospitals. Upon completion of your undergraduate degree, you may find that there is a topic which you wish to expand on and complete further study into this area or further training in this area in order to help develop your career further.

Also, remember that from the completion of a degree you will gain a very diverse and unique skill set which can be helpful when applying for a whole range of different careers and opportunities. If you have opportunities to be involved in things at university, take them as these develop that skill set further, and might open up further opportunities to you in the future.

Depending on the university which you end up studying at, if they have a careers team, ask them for advice as they will be able to offer you further guidance and suggestions which can help you move forwards in the future

Hope this helps,

Emily
University of Hull STudent Representative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending