The Student Room Group

Should advertising of Pork on TV be banned?

Should adverts advertising pork and pork products be banned from TV? Tobacco adverts are banned because tobacco is unhealthy yet pork is offensive to some people and these adverts are not banned.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
Should adverts advertising pork and pork products be banned from TV? Tobacco adverts are banned because tobacco is unhealthy yet pork is offensive to some people and these adverts are not banned.

No, they shouldn't be banned. I don't know why these adverts are airing, but part of the reason might be because of what has broke out on the news recently regarding the chicken supplier 2Sisters Food Group.
Different things are offensive to different people. Can't ban everything to meet a small group of peoples needs and 'requirements'.

No. Censorship is never the answer. Would you agree with me if I asked for something you loved to be banned? Just because I can't handle my emotions?

People need to learn how to handle it instead of being offended over every little thing.
Theres a difference between an agreed census that something is unhealthy and very bad for people, backed with plenty of evidence, and an opinion of something people find offensive based on one culture or religion - seeing as this is a multicultural society
Freedom of Speech (and Meat)
Original post by lmaofolks
Different things are offensive to different people. Can't ban everything to meet a small group of peoples needs and 'requirements'.

1/6th of the world's population isn't small...

That's the only thing I'm disagreeing with, the beginning sentence is pretty reasonable.

EDIT: Okay lads. I realised i misinterpreted the scale of Muslims we were talking about. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(edited 6 years ago)
No. Not at all. Tobacco is banned from advertising because it is proven to be a significant health hazard.
Pork is not. In fact it's my favourite with crispy crackling and Yorkshire puddings!
Why should a meat product be banned from advertising because people don't want to eat it?
Original post by Dean Fry
No. Censorship is never the answer. Would you agree with me if I asked for something you loved to be banned? Just because I can't handle my emotions?

People need to learn how to handle it instead of being offended over every little thing.

Original post by marshalld67
Theres a difference between an agreed census that something is unhealthy and very bad for people, backed with plenty of evidence, and an opinion of something people find offensive based on one culture or religion - seeing as this is a multicultural society

But some countries do ban pork adverts such as Brunei, Saudia Arabia, Czech Republic etc. Australia banned tobacco adverts in the 1990s and Britain followed their example. So it's not like we have not copied other countries in the past.

if pork is offensive we should ban... pork. You get us a Muslim or Jewish person making the case for it and we will listen. Unless you're one?

Cultural misappropriation if you're not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
I personally think it should be.
Reply 11
No, of course not, is this even a serious question?

I'm a vegetarian and am against a ban.

human rights > religious rights

i don't see why peoples OPINIONS should be pushed onto others
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
1/6th of the world's population isn't small...

That's the only thing I'm disagreeing with, the beginning sentence is pretty reasonable.

And do you hear them all complaining about the advertising of pork?
Reply 14
[video="youtube;uuL6cJPz3Nk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuL6cJPz3Nk[/video]
Original post by lmaofolks
And do you hear them all complaining about the advertising of pork?

They don't really care until asked.
Exactly so its a small amount of people.
But some countries do ban pork adverts such as Brunei, Saudia Arabia, Czech Republic etc. Australia banned tobacco adverts in the 1990s and Britain followed their example. So it's not like we have not copied other countries in the past.

Yes and we used to have separate white people and black people toilets does that mean it was right? No. This is the case here, just because another country is doing it, it doesn't mean it is right.

Tobacco honestly isn't a good example since it has been used more of a political tool than actually trying to protect people, you don't see bans and that to do with alcohol do you? Even though it is one of the most dangerous substances for humans to drink.
Original post by Olie
No, of course not, is this even a serious question?

It would be if someone could make a serious case for it, let's give it another ten minutes. I'm a bit worried about the allegation of cultural offences aimed at the OP, hopefully it won't be found to be offensive to anyone. We certainly wouldn't like it to result in a ban.
Lets ban Christmas too while we're at it, because not everyone is Christian so all the hubub and celebrations are alienating and obviously offensive to people of different faith or no faith.

Quick Reply

Latest