The Student Room Group

Mate wants to ask housemate out a WEEK after she moved in

Hey Guys;

Well, only last week (24th September) our new housemates moved in. However, while I'll admit they have A LOT in common and when I say a lot I mean a lot...
Anyway, they've only met once before at the time she came round to view the house and now he is thinking of going out with her after only knowing her for a week...

Now I wouldn't normally have an issue with this HOWEVER, I know for a fact that he will have to work HARD to achieve a 2:2 because, well, to put it bluntly, exams aren't his strong suit and minus a single 50 he got in his first year, the highest exam mark he has achieved I believe was 44...

We are in our final year of Biomed too so I am SERIOUSLY concerned he is going to **** this up hard...
I've tried telling him he needs to focus and focusing on his degree AND a relationship given his history of exams (and coursework which without help he can't achieve a 2:1 in...) but he has said she revises a lot and I will admit she does but his logic is when she's revising, he will too...
I'm the only one he has told about this apparently.

Help?!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey Guys;

Well, only last week (24th September) our new housemates moved in. However, while I'll admit they have A LOT in common and when I say a lot I mean a lot...
Anyway, they've only met once before at the time she came round to view the house and now he is thinking of going out with her after only knowing her for a week...

Now I wouldn't normally have an issue with this HOWEVER, I know for a fact that he will have to work HARD to achieve a 2:2 because, well, to put it bluntly, exams aren't his strong suit and minus a single 50 he got in his first year, the highest exam mark he has achieved I believe was 44...

We are in our final year of Biomed too so I am SERIOUSLY concerned he is going to **** this up hard...
I've tried telling him he needs to focus and focusing on his degree AND a relationship given his history of exams (and coursework which without help he can't achieve a 2:1 in...) but he has said she revises a lot and I will admit she does but his logic is when she's revising, he will too...
I'm the only one he has told about this apparently.

Help?!

It's really up to him and it's his degree. Why can't you encourage him to study if he were to get into a relationship? I had a friend at uni who had a girlfriend, we worked together and he still got a 2:1. You can study together and I don't see a problem unless you also like this girl and are jealous.
Original post by UWS
It's really up to him and it's his degree. Why can't you encourage him to study if he were to get into a relationship? I had a friend at uni who had a girlfriend, we worked together and he still got a 2:1. You can study together and I don't see a problem unless you also like this girl and are jealous.

This is clearly the issue here.
Reply 3
I am encouraging him to do so but I have also noticed whenever he's been in a relationship the last 2 years, he's not focused on his work. (He's been in 2 the last 2 years)

And trust me, not interested in her...
Seems to have her head stuck up her own ass BIG TIME, can't take any form of criticism whatsoever...
Reply 4

And trust me, not interested in her...
Seems to have her head stuck up her own ass BIG TIME, can't take any form of criticism whatsoever...

I agree with the others, I bet you're secretly hoping for her head to be stuck up your ass BIG TIME :h:
Reply 5
I don't understand why this is a problem. How does it affect you or your studies whether or not he goes out with her? Sounds to me like you're attached at the hip with your housemate and maybe you're feeling a bit jealous of someone else who will take his attention away from you. Either that, or you're attracted to him or his potential girlfriend. You should be honest with yourself about why this is really bothering you so much.
Reply 6
Original post by asif007
I don't understand why this is a problem. How does it affect you or your studies whether or not he goes out with her? Sounds to me like you're attached at the hip with your housemate and maybe you're feeling a bit jealous of someone else who will take his attention away from you. Either that, or you're attracted to him or his potential girlfriend. You should be honest with yourself about why this is really bothering you so much.

I never said it affected MY studies, but his. Looks like people are confusing concern with jealousy here...
Reply 7
I never said it affected MY studies, but his. Looks like people are confusing concern with jealousy here...

Why are you so concerned about HIS studies? Are you doing his degree for him? Let the man do whatever he wants, you don't own him.
Never s**** where you eat. Going out with a housemate usually ends in disaster then the rest of the year in awkwardness.
I see why you're worried. I would be too (i was actually). However, there really isn't much you can do, just bear with him, try supporting his studies even when he doesn't care... When something negative happens, delicately tell him you said so and he may learn from his mistake.
(Also, if he does get together with the girl, try to talk to her (without a tiny hint of arrogance, cuz this isn't about you but him) and tell her to support him in his studies. If she cares about him, she will.)
Posted from TSR Mobile
To everyone stating that OP is jealous of his friend: have you considered the possibility that *shock horror* people CARE ABOUT THEIR FRIENDS? It may well be that your theories of jealousy are true - but they are no more likely than OP just looking out for his friend and not wanting him to fail.
Well it is your last year. I'm sure that will make him work hard.
Original post by Multifaceted
To everyone stating that OP is jealous of his friend: have you considered the possibility that *shock horror* people CARE ABOUT THEIR FRIENDS? It may well be that your theories of jealousy are true - but they are no more likely than OP just looking out for his friend and not wanting him to fail.

Thank Lord, someone else gets it! Exactly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Look, guys do better with their studying when they are getting their oats. So as long as he doesn't end up a love sick friendzoned puppy or get cruelly dumped a fortnight before the exams then all should be well.
OP is worried about housemate drama I see his point TBH. Like I lived in a house at uni with all guys (though I was friends with one before) and one of them fancied me and got aggressive when I said no and sulky. It was ****ing awkward.

I would be worried for her!
Two housemates going out usually only ends badly for everyone
Well guys, he asked her out last night...
She already has a boyfriend and didn't say anything... I'm honestly surprised though because she quite literally feeds him chocolates and cookies and asks him to run his fingers through her hair while she's lying down on the sofa...

So, I honestly felt like she led him on...

So, have to see how things go today but I am thinking he won't be in a particularly good mood for a while...
Well guys, he asked her out last night...
She already has a boyfriend and didn't say anything... I'm honestly surprised though because she quite literally feeds him chocolates and cookies and asks him to run his fingers through her hair while she's lying down on the sofa...

So, I honestly felt like she led him on...

So, have to see how things go today but I am thinking he won't be in a particularly good mood for a while...

in b4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz5gja7XtYE

stay safe OP
@ChickenMadness @eden3

sex improves memory bruh. House mate gf = sex every night (and morning)

lol just read the second OP though.

sloots gon sloot.
stay safe men.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
sex improves memory bruh. House mate gf = sex every night (and morning)

lol just read the second OP though.

sloots gon sloot.
stay safe men.

pls... stay safe

http://www.troll.me/images/forever-alone-at-party/guys-please-stay-safe.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending