The Student Room Group

World Mental Health Day 2017!

Today is World Mental Health Day! It's main aim is to try raise awareness of mental health and get people talking about the problems those with a mental health problem face globally. Each year has a different theme - last year's was psychological first aid, this year it's 'mental health in the workplace'. This can include, school, university or an actual work environment.

One in five people in the workplace will be experience a mental health problem and around 11.7 million work days were lost to stress, depression and anxiety in 2015/16 alone; around a third of the total number of days lost to ill health - showing the extent to which mental health can be affected by the workplace.

Have you got any experiences of mental health in the workplace? Do you think more could be done or is opposite true; are schools/universities/workplaces doing more than enough? Let us know your thoughts!

Be sure to check out the other threads surrounding this topic!

How do you look after your Mental Health at work? by @BurstingBubbles
Things you can do the boost your Mental Health at lunch! @Protostar
Six tips to help you look after your mental health
Are you feeling mentally healthy?

You can post anonymously in this thread!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Deyesy
Today is World Mental Health Day! It's main aim is to try raise awareness of mental health and get people talking about the problems those with a mental health problem face globally. Each year has a different theme - last year's was psychological first aid, this year it's 'mental health in the workplace'. This can include, school, university or an actual work environment.

One in five people in the workplace will be experience a mental health problem and around 11.7 million work days were lost to stress, depression and anxiety in 2015/16 alone; around a third of the total number of days lost to ill health - showing the extent to which mental health can be affected by the workplace.

Have you got any experiences of mental health in the workplace? Do you think more could be done or is opposite true; are schools/universities/workplaces doing more than enough? Let us know your thoughts!

Be sure to check out the other threads surrounding this topic!

How do you look after your Mental Health at work? by @BurstingBubbles
Things you can do the boost your Mental Health at lunch! @Protostar

You can post anonymously in this thread!

Great thread.

My university has a support centre for those with depression. I never used it but I thought it was good that they supported students who may be struggling with their mental health. There are still a lot of people who hide it though, maybe due to being worried about what other people will think, such as parents.
Great to see TSR supporting this again :h: :grouphugs: :love:

I am a part-time PhD student, with a part-time job at a branch of Mind (the mental health charity) alongside it. I recently had a complete meltdown due to a flare-up of my psychosis, and had to take 2 weeks off work on sick leave :frown: The prospect of returning to my job felt hugely overwhelming but something that really helped was talking to my boss on the phone and (due to the fact it's Mind I work for, and therefore they should be more understanding than most about these things) being really honest with her about what I felt I could and couldn't do upon my return.

It wasn't as gradual a return to work as I would have liked, but I felt fully supported the entire way. I just wish every workplace was like my current one. I've been fortunate with most of the jobs I've applied for or worked in, in that many places have been great, but I'm conscious that not everyone is able to feel that they can talk about their mental health or wellbeing at work, due to pressure-cooker environments or the whole British stiff-upper-lip thing :frown:

I think there is always more that can be done by workplaces to promote better wellbeing and to open up spaces in which people can have more honest conversations about their mental health :yes:
Reply 3
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Great to see TSR supporting this again :h: :grouphugs: :love:

Whilst I'm part of the Support Team, I will always, always fight for Mental Health to get the attention from the CT it deserves. They done us proud this WMHD, I have to say :h:
Original post by Deyesy
Whilst I'm part of the Support Team, I will always, always fight for Mental Health to get the attention from the CT it deserves. They done us proud this WMHD, I have to say :h:

Indeed! Hear, hear! :congrats:
So, I have depression, and on tablets and currently trying to get a therapist (though whenever I ring up it's always an answer phone - another rant for another day). My schools/sixth form support is not very good. It's not at a fault of the 'counselors' because they're not just counselors they're academic support, do sixth form admin stuff, and lots of other jobs, so no wonder they are usually strapped for time. The school needs to get a person to do just sixth form support (There is a main school but sixth former's cant use it). I've meant to have had some counselling through the school, and the 3 times we've scheduled it, she didn't turn up because she was sorting out another issue, so I just gave up.

However, my school -despite this- can be quite accommodating to mental health issues. Teachers have offered to let me go home if I've had bad days, and they understand if I can't handle going to school some days. Everyone is made aware of mental health issues and how to deal with them.

So the awareness on it is great, and the outer support network is great, but the personal support isn't good, and most people only manage to meet with them before its too late and things have gotten really bad (most people try and talk to them and they don't have time, it is only when someone has a breakdown or has been seen with sh scars or something along those lines, that actually make time.)
I'm in an alright place right now, but to be honest the support at my school hasn't been brilliant.

I used to self harm about two years ago, and when my guidance teacher found out she basically forced me to allow her to tell my parents (Im not sure that she would ever have not done this, even if I'd continued to disagree). I did get one session with a school counsellor, but I'd never met her before and haven't seen her since. She said that everything was happening because I was hormonal and not getting enough sleep, but did promise follow-up meetings. From then on for several months I was terrified every time the phone rang in lessons; terrified that I'd have to make an excuse to my friends. Luckily (or not luckily :s-smilie:) she never followed up, which left me a bit lost.

I've not wanted to talk to my teachers about it at all apart from then because of how badly it went, and also because I know that my guidance teacher is going to be writing my reference (although that's just been sent off a few days ago). I would talk to my GP or something, but my parents are always very... involved... so I don't think I could do it without them finding out and I don't want to talk to them about that kind of thing.

Recently I feel a bit like I'm just hanging on for a few months until I leave home or go to uni, and am able to seek help more independently. Although I have tried watching videos from psychologists and therapists and stuff on youtube, and I've read several books which have helped me separate this depression and stress from myself. I've definitely got better at dealing with it, but then again this is me talking on a good day.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in an alright place right now, but to be honest the support at my school hasn't been brilliant.

I used to self harm about two years ago, and when my guidance teacher found out she basically forced me to allow her to tell my parents (Im not sure that she would ever have not done this, even if I'd continued to disagree). I did get one session with a school counsellor, but I'd never met her before and haven't seen her since. She said that everything was happening because I was hormonal and not getting enough sleep, but did promise follow-up meetings. From then on for several months I was terrified every time the phone rang in lessons; terrified that I'd have to make an excuse to my friends. Luckily (or not luckily :s-smilie:) she never followed up, which left me a bit lost.

I've not wanted to talk to my teachers about it at all apart from then because of how badly it went, and also because I know that my guidance teacher is going to be writing my reference (although that's just been sent off a few days ago). I would talk to my GP or something, but my parents are always very... involved... so I don't think I could do it without them finding out and I don't want to talk to them about that kind of thing.

Recently I feel a bit like I'm just hanging on for a few months until I leave home or go to uni, and am able to seek help more independently. Although I have tried watching videos from psychologists and therapists and stuff on youtube, and I've read several books which have helped me separate this depression and stress from myself. I've definitely got better at dealing with it, but then again this is me talking on a good day.

If you need someone to speak to, let me know in a reply to this thread and I'll take myself out of anonymous so you can message me 😊

Quick Reply

Latest