The Student Room Group

I've been living in Paris for a month, AMA!

Well, just under a month, but that title sounded better than putting in exact days... ANYWAY.

I moved to Paris last month to study French at university - it's been a really exciting experience but it's also very strange to live in a foreign country (really craving Chinese takeaway like you wouldn't believe...), they don't have all the stuff we Brits are used to and there are loads of cultural differences... so it got me thinking, do you have any questions? I'll try to answer them!

:france:

Scroll to see replies

Has immigration resulted in french culture dwindling?
Original post by TheKingOfCrypton
Has immigration resulted in french culture dwindling?

Paris has always been a very multicultural city and so I'd say it's not really changed anything. Especially given the emphasis the French place on integrating (naturalising in France is exceptionally difficult) into the culture. French culture is ever-changing and only enhanced by mixing of cultures. For example in the Marais you can find the most amazing Lebanese and Turkish food - the French love it and so do I. What's more French than exceptional food and atmosphere? :smile:
Cuisses de Grenouille, yay or nay?
Original post by Paracosm
Paris has always been a very multicultural city and so I'd say it's not really changed anything. Especially given the emphasis the French place on integrating (naturalising in France is exceptionally difficult) into the culture. French culture is ever-changing and only enhanced by mixing of cultures. For example in the Marais you can find the most amazing Lebanese and Turkish food - the French love it and so do I. :smile:

Have some areas of Paris become ghettoised because of destructive immigration policy's.
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Cuisses de Grenouille, yay or nay?

N A Y - they're just not my thing. It's not even that I don't like them, they just have no appeal and taste a bit bland. Also, they're not as common in Paris as you may think! Most French people would only have them perhaps once a year or not at all. What about you? :hmmm:
Have some areas of Paris become ghettoised because of destructive immigration policy's.

Ghettoised? No. This is Paris, my friend. Every neighbourhood in every arrondissement has a different feel and a different way of doing things. Paris is quite a small city and so you see a wide variety of cultures in different areas, but there's no real room for ghettoised neighbourhoods and the French wouldn't allow it. Paris is very safe. The only areas that come to mind are the ones filled with pickpockets (i.e. Gare du nord, Sacré-Cœur, etc) and agressive street vendors, they're about the biggest problem in Paris. There does seem to be a problem with some of the banlieues though, which is a shame.

I'd appreciate it if we moved on to questions about actually living in Paris though, rather than focusing on Parisian politics and immigration policy which I'm not well-versed enough on to comment.
(edited 6 years ago)
Do you really like living in Paris?:dry:

I am French, and I hate Paris!

It's over rated!

Paris metro is full of drunks and degenerates. The pavements are so small and congested, the people are weird!

Anyway I live in London and I prefer it here than Paris.

But in saying that I love the French country side.:daydreaming:
Ghettoised? No. This is Paris, my friend. Every neighbourhood in every arrondissement has a different feel and a different way of doing things. Paris is quite a small city and so you see a wide variety of cultures in different areas, but there's no real room for ghettoised neighbourhoods and the French wouldn't allow it. Paris is very safe. The only areas that come to mind are the ones filled with pickpockets (i.e. Gare du nord, Sacré-Cœur, etc) and agressive street vendors, they're about the biggest problem in Paris.

I'd appreciate it if we moved on to questions about actually living in Paris though, rather than focusing on Parisian politics and immigration policy which I'm not well-versed enough on to comment.

Thanks my frog eating friend.
N A Y - they're just not my thing. It's not even that I don't like them, they just have no appeal and taste a bit bland. Also, they're not as common in Paris as you may think! Most French people would only have them perhaps once a year or not at all. What about you? :hmmm:

Nay as well, but I'd probably still try it again.

What about Escargot?
Original post by BALMAIN Paris
Do you really like living in Paris?:dry:

I am French, and I hate Paris!

It's over rated!

Paris metro is full of drunks and degenerates. The pavements are so small and congested, the people are weird!

Anyway I live in London and I prefer it here than Paris.

But in saying that I love the French country side.:daydreaming:

Let me first start off by saying the French countryside is beautiful :heart:

Secondly, I really do love Paris - it's the best way for me to immerse and learn the language - plus, the people aren't so bad... :wink:

The Metro is a special case, I've met one particular beggar so much she recognised me the other day :rofl2:, kept going through the train with her high-pitched "s'il vous plaît"s, she's always on line 9 and 13! Yes, the Metro is crowded but coming from London it's just more of the same for me. I actually find the Metro to be less crowded than the Underground! The streets don't seem small to me, there are so many more grand boulevards and promenades in Paris than there are in London! Perhaps in places like the Marais and Île de la Cité, yes... but in other areas not so much. :tongue:

How long have you been living in London? :smile:
Thanks my frog eating friend.

No problem my baked beans on toast eating friend.

Nay as well, but I'd probably still try it again.

What about Escargot?

Escargots... also a no. Mainly for the same reason! They're not unpleasant, but they're not pleasant either - they just taste of whatever they're sautéed in tbh - usually garlic butter :dontknow:
Well, just under a month, but that title sounded better than putting in exact days... ANYWAY.

I moved to Paris last month to study French at university - it's been a really exciting experience but it's also very strange to live in a foreign country (really craving Chinese takeaway like you wouldn't believe...), they don't have all the stuff we Brits are used to and there are loads of cultural differences... so it got me thinking, do you have any questions? I'll try to answer them!

Un baguette.
Original post by getfunky!
Un baguette.

hon hon hon Navigo honhonhon baguette honhon oui oui

etc

(Congratulations on your first post since 2006!)
Have you been to Shakespeare and Company yet?
hon hon hon Navigo honhonhon baguette honhon oui oui

etc

(Congratulations on your first post since 2006!)

Hi there,
Posting tip: please add a translation.
Thank you

Ayy man it feels good to be back ;_;

Which arrondissement are you living in? Are you finding it affordable or expensive? I was in Paris last month so we may have walked past one another! :h:
Original post by Quantex
Have you been to Shakespeare and Company yet?

I have :love: have you been? The people in there were so helpful!

Original post by getfunky!
Hi there,
Posting tip: please add a translation.
Thank you

Ayy man it feels good to be back ;_;

Don't be cheeky, funks. Start posting more pls, thx.

Original post by Barbastelle
Which arrondissement are you living in? Are you finding it affordable or expensive? I was in Paris last month so we may have walked past one another! :h:

Hey!

I'm living right on the fringes because it's cost effective, but it technically counts as the 16e :biggrin: I'm finding that actual rent costs aren't too bad, I'm paying 675€ /month with all bills included - sharing a flat with one other person :smile: groceries and stuff are quite expensive but I'm getting better at scrimping and finding a good deal for my money!

That's so cool :biggrin: what did you do?
Escargots... also a no. Mainly for the same reason! They're not unpleasant, but they're not pleasant either - they just taste of whatever they're sautéed in tbh - usually garlic butter :dontknow:

Fair enough, visited the Eiffel Tower yet?
Fair enough, visited the Eiffel Tower yet?

Twice :innocent: each time someone tried to sell me a "south African" bit of string. I was a bit rude to them the second time. :colondollar: They didn't hassle me after though.

Quick Reply

Latest