The Student Room Group

I've been living in Paris for a month, AMA!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paracosm
Well, just under a month, but that title sounded better than putting in exact days... ANYWAY.

I moved to Paris last month to study French at university - it's been a really exciting experience but it's also very strange to live in a foreign country (really craving Chinese takeaway like you wouldn't believe...), they don't have all the stuff we Brits are used to and there are loads of cultural differences... so it got me thinking, do you have any questions? I'll try to answer them!

:france:

Did you have difficulty understanding the French accent(s) when you arrived? :holmes:
How many pain au chocolat have you eaten?

Spoiler

Original post by Michiyo
Did you have difficulty understanding the French accent(s) when you arrived? :holmes:

Not at all! I find that I understand everything being said, but have difficulty formulating a response and articulating myself well enough. I'm not very good at ad-lib conjugation so I really need to improve that...! The only French accent I have difficulty understanding is the accent du sud :wink: (southern accent)
Original post by AmeliaLost
How many pain au chocolat have you eaten?

Spoiler

So many.

So.

Many.

Spoiler

Let me first start off by saying the French countryside is beautiful :heart:

Secondly, I really do love Paris - it's the best way for me to immerse and learn the language - plus, the people aren't so bad... :wink:

The Metro is a special case, I've met one particular beggar so much she recognised me the other day :rofl2:, kept going through the train with her high-pitched "s'il vous plaît"s, she's always on line 9 and 13! Yes, the Metro is crowded but coming from London it's just more of the same for me. I actually find the Metro to be less crowded than the Underground! The streets don't seem small to me, there are so many more grand boulevards and promenades in Paris than there are in London! Perhaps in places like the Marais and Île de la Cité, yes... but in other areas not so much. :tongue:

How long have you been living in London? :smile:

I have lived in England all my life.

Have you tried the French patesserie?

What about the HUGE choices of baguettes?

What I love about the French outside of Paris is that they are so warm and welcoming if you say Bonjour to a stranger on the street they respond so positvely, if I was to say good morning to a random stranger in England they would look at me weird.
So many.

So.

Many.

Spoiler

Second question: are you all roly poly from all the butter pastry now? :lol:

Spoiler

Let me first start off by saying the French countryside is beautiful :heart:

Secondly, I really do love Paris - it's the best way for me to immerse and learn the language - plus, the people aren't so bad... :wink:

The Metro is a special case, I've met one particular beggar so much she recognised me the other day :rofl2:, kept going through the train with her high-pitched "s'il vous plaît"s, she's always on line 9 and 13! Yes, the Metro is crowded but coming from London it's just more of the same for me. I actually find the Metro to be less crowded than the Underground! The streets don't seem small to me, there are so many more grand boulevards and promenades in Paris than there are in London! Perhaps in places like the Marais and Île de la Cité, yes... but in other areas not so much. :tongue:

How long have you been living in London? :smile:

But I agree that the metro is full of character, I remember one man harassing me to buy his corn on a stick!

It annoyed me because I bought the corn from pure pressure.

Have you been to the Louvre? or Notre Dame?

I know others, but can't think of them from the top of my head.

There is another one, I think it is a palace but I can't remember the name.:sigh:

They have a huge maze!
Original post by BALMAIN Paris
I have lived in England all my life.

Have you tried the French patesserie?

What about the HUGE choices of baguettes?

What I love about the French outside of Paris is that they are so warm and welcoming if you say Bonjour to a stranger on the street they respond so positvely, if I was to say good morning to a random stranger in England they would look at me weird.

Ahhhh okay! French pâtisserie is soooooo good :drool: I love the amazing amount of choice and the baguettes are amazing, stereotypical or not, they're so delicious!

I found that too! I was in Nanterre (OK, not far from Paris, but...) and people would randomly say bonjour and it was lovely. :h:

Original post by AmeliaLost
Second question: are you all roly poly from all the butter pastry now? :lol:

Spoiler

Perhaps :innocent: :lol:

Spoiler

Original post by BALMAIN Paris
But I agree that the metro is full of character, I remember one man harassing me to buy his corn on a stick!

It annoyed me because I bought the corn from pure pressure.

Have you been to the Louvre? or Notre Dame?

I know others, but can't think of them from the top of my head.

There is another one, I think it is a palace but I can't remember the name.:sigh:

They have a huge maze!

You're right about that. :laugh: Corn on a stick?! I haven't seen him yet. :tongue: I often find that ignoring them works best, once you start talking to them they reel you in and you feel guilty. I've been to both, the Louvre I feel is a little overrated but I enjoyed everything except where the Mona Lisa was - I don't understand the hype :dontknow: it's so HUGE! Notre Dame is beautiful, I could spend hours just looking at it...

Are you thinking of Versailles? I've never been to the maze!
Well, just under a month, but that title sounded better than putting in exact days... ANYWAY.

I moved to Paris last month to study French at university - it's been a really exciting experience but it's also very strange to live in a foreign country (really craving Chinese takeaway like you wouldn't believe...), they don't have all the stuff we Brits are used to and there are loads of cultural differences... so it got me thinking, do you have any questions? I'll try to answer them!

To what extent does meaning exist?:holmes:

Spoiler

Ahhhh okay! French pâtisserie is soooooo good :drool: I love the amazing amount of choice and the baguettes are amazing, stereotypical or not, they're so delicious!

I found that too! I was in Nanterre (OK, not far from Paris, but...) and people would randomly say bonjour and it was lovely. :h:

Spoiler

You're right about that. :laugh: Corn on a stick?! I haven't seen him yet. :tongue: I often find that ignoring them works best, once you start talking to them they reel you in and you feel guilty. I've been to both, the Louvre I feel is a little overrated but I enjoyed everything except where the Mona Lisa was - I don't understand the hype :dontknow: it's so HUGE! Notre Dame is beautiful, I could spend hours just looking at it...

Oh yes that's it, it was Versailles!:five:

I remember they had a huge garden and what looked like a maze from where I was looking in the Chateau window.

Strangely I have never been to the Louvre, I did go Disney Land Paris.

Paris is very romantic with the little roads taking you somewhere new, it's very easy to get lost!

The problem I have with Paris is that the shops close so early it beomes a ghost town after a certain time!

Have you tried the crepes? if you wanted to try a french crepe you had to queue up in a restaurant and reserve a table just so you can enjoy the crepe, which I found a bit excessive, but in saying that, the French are excessive in practically everything!

I found the weather quite peculiar though because Paris was mainly cold, but in other parts of France the sun was out.

Did the French know you were British when they heard you speak French?

Because soon as I opened my mouth to speak French, they just knew I was from England, but I love hearing the French try speaking English, that French accent always makes me smile.:toofunny:
(edited 6 years ago)

Spoiler

When can I visit? :gah:

oh and

What is your 3rd favourite french word? Explain in detail. You will be marked on your spelling, punctuation and grammar. A bonus mark will be awarded for a reference to the dodgems. [10 marks]
:colondollar: :france:
Not at all! I find that I understand everything being said, but have difficulty formulating a response and articulating myself well enough. I'm not very good at ad-lib conjugation so I really need to improve that...! The only French accent I have difficulty understanding is the accent du sud :wink: (southern accent)

Can you speak French? :smile:
Is paris safe and do you feel safe living there
Favourite and least favourite thing about Paris?
Reply 34

Have you found a decent coffee?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
When can I visit? :gah:

oh and

What is your 3rd favourite french word? Explain in detail. You will be marked on your spelling, punctuation and grammar. A bonus mark will be awarded for a reference to the dodgems. [10 marks]
:colondollar: :france:

Tomorrow. :yes:

My third favourite French word is goûter because I heard a small child screaming it at his mother on the metro the other day and she looked like she wanted to run him over with a dodgem.

Original post by ClearSky II
Can you speak French? :smile:

I guess so, but it's not fantastic. That's why I'm here!

Original post by Samboy10
Is paris safe and do you feel safe living there

Paris is perfectly safe and I feel very safe here.

Original post by Tiger Rag
Favourite and least favourite thing about Paris?

Favourite: the food, it truly is unbeatable.
Least favourite: it's a mix between the harassing illegal street vendors trying to sell you tat and *****y bits of string and then the fact that things close so early on a Sunday!

Original post by Doonesbury
Have you found a decent coffee?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have :love:

Original post by 04MR17
To what extent does meaning exist?:holmes:

Spoiler

Meaning exists because I deem it to exist which means that meaning must exist in at least my mind which therefore means that meaning is given existence within my brain which means it means something and hence meaning exists meaning that must mean it exists to a measurable extent. That was a mean question.
Meaning exists because I deem it to exist which means that meaning must exist in at least my mind which therefore means that meaning is given existence within my brain which means it means something and hence meaning exists meaning that must mean it exists to a measurable extent. That was a mean question.
I go deep. I'm not in this shallow section no more.:cool:
I had a connecting flight last week at CDG airport. I was there for less than an hour and a half but saw more than 10 armed police/ soldiers patrolling the airport alongside travellers. The atmosphere felt so tense it was unbearable. Any loud sound would scare everyone. Do you feel safe? Isn't there an ever present threat?
Reply 38
Tomorrow. :yes:

My third favourite French word is goûter because I heard a small child screaming it at his mother on the metro the other day and she looked like she wanted to run him over with a dodgem.

I guess so, but it's not fantastic. That's why I'm here!

Paris is perfectly safe and I feel very safe here.

Favourite: the food, it truly is unbeatable.
Least favourite: it's a mix between the harassing illegal street vendors trying to sell you tat and *****y bits of string and then the fact that things close so early on a Sunday!

I have :love:

But the string magique? Non?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welcome to my country then!

So I'm a tiny bit biased since I'm from Marseille, the second city of France (but the one with the most character and hands down the prettiest) but what do you think of Parisians or people who claim they are Parisians?

Have you travelled to other parts of France yet? (Like other regions)

What is your favourite French dish (meal, not pastry)? How about your favourite viennoiserie (pastry)?

Quick Reply

Latest