The Student Room Group

2 A levels and an EPQ

Will i still have enough UCAS points to apply for unis?
Original post by brad2800

No

Most universities will require 3 full A levels (or 2 A levels and a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma). An EPQ isn't equivalent to an A level.

If you apply with just 2 A levels then you're only likely to be eligible for foundation courses.
Original post by PQ
No

Most universities will require 3 full A levels (or 2 A levels and a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma). An EPQ isn't equivalent to an A level.

If you apply with just 2 A levels then you're only likely to be eligible for foundation courses.

You forgot two full-stops...

no way
No you won't
An EPQ isn't an A-Level, it's equivalent to half an A-Level but it's not one
Besides, you'd be a disadvantage (intellectually and competitively) against other candidates who have 3 or more A-Levels.
Original post by CounTolstoy
You forgot two full-stops...

forgot or deliberately omitted them to wind up nitpickers?
:iiam:
Original post by PQ
forgot or deliberately omitted them to wind up nitpickers?
:iiam:

Where is your capital letter? Absolutely appalling.
Original post by CounTolstoy
Where is your capital letter? Absolutely appalling.

i dont no

You might have enough for some of the more flexible universities if you do well enough.

As an example, a Business degree at Birmingham City or Sheffield Hallam needs 112 new UCAS points, including a minimum of two full A levels. You could get that with two As plus a C in EPQ, or a AB plus A in EPQ.

If you're planning to apply to unis using UCAS points you'll need to ask around whether they require two or three A2s in the calculation. You might also ask your college if they offer any extra points-bearing qualifications like Core Maths, ASDAN/CoPE or IFS Certificate that would give you a bit more of a buffer. Another option would be an extra subject-based AS, but I guess you've ruled that out already. Many points universities do accept General Studies, so if you wanted an extra A2 to widen your options that might be a good shout?

Good luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9

Why not just do 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
What grades do you expect to get and what subject do you want to do at uni.
Original post by Doonesbury
Why not just do 3?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've had a lot of queries from potential applicants about taking 2 A levels and an EPQ - it seems to be something that some schools and colleges are recommending to students starting sixth form (without letting them know how much it will restrict their choices at university).

I assume it's driven by funding cuts.
I'm in the same boat as you I do two alevels and the EPQ. I've done the EPQ last year as well. Best chance is to probs get as many ucas points as you can and hopefully they'll let you in. They let me in! They look at applicants from a different perspective like me and my autism for example. It's not pity. Good luck.:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PQ
We've had a lot of queries from potential applicants about taking 2 A levels and an EPQ - it seems to be something that some schools and colleges are recommending to students starting sixth form (without letting them know how much it will restrict their choices at university).

I'm surprised to hear of schools recommending it from the outset - that really is quite poor form. I had assumed OP had either not done well enough to be allowed to progress on to year 2 of the course or otherwise not enjoyed it enough to want to carry it on.

Timetabling and funding make crashing a 3rd A level in one year difficult. Reforms mean that if you're not entering students for AS there's no point a Y13 sitting in on a Y12 class as they won't get a qualification at the end. I can see why EPQ is the most obvious bonus option if for some reason you end up only being able to do two in Y13, but it shouldn't be the default option from the start.
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
I assume it's driven by funding cuts.

Oh dear.

Cheaper for exam fees, or a more fundamental reduction in teaching ? :frown:

i dont know why some people here are so sure that you can't - i know plently of people who got into uni with 2 a levels and an epq
Original post by Doonesbury
Oh dear.

Cheaper for exam fees, or a more fundamental reduction in teaching ? :frown:

A bit of both I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending