The Student Room Group

Maintenance Grant misscalculation?

With an accommodation at about £5,400 at Loughborough, which seems like an average/reasonable price, a maintenance grant of £5900 certainly seems like a stretch to cover everything. While I understand that the price of the accommodation does not determine the maintenance grant amount, I am quite sure that the amount I am supposed to receive is not representative of my parents' financial situation.

According to the student finance calculator a maintenance grant of £5900 would equate to a joint salary of around £45,000 however I know for sure that this is not the case and that it is actually closer to £22,000-£25,000, I also know it is lower than £45,000 because they received benefits for housing and child benefits.

Is there a reason as to why this may have happened?
Original post by EpilepticRabbit
With an accommodation at about £5,400 at Loughborough, which seems like an average/reasonable price, a maintenance grant of £5900 certainly seems like a stretch to cover everything. While I understand that the price of the accommodation does not determine the maintenance grant amount, I am quite sure that the amount I am supposed to receive is not representative of my parents' financial situation.

According to the student finance calculator a maintenance grant of £5900 would equate to a joint salary of around £45,000 however I know for sure that this is not the case and that it is actually closer to £22,000-£25,000, I also know it is lower than £45,000 because they received benefits for housing and child benefits.

Is there a reason as to why this may have happened?

Hi EpilepticRabbit,

It seems that you may have been assessed for the Non means Tested amount of Maintenance Loan .Did you apply Late or did your parent's provide their income information later?
Have your parent's been asked to provide any evidence or has any information been sent recently?

Thanks
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi EpilepticRabbit,

It seems that you may have been assessed for the Non means Tested amount of Maintenance Loan .Did you apply Late or did your parent's provide their income information later?
Have your parent's been asked to provide any evidence or has any information been sent recently?

Thanks

They were asked for additional forms about income and stuff, I don't know which ones exactly, but I do know I applied for the additional loan. I didn't apply or send it off particularly late, however there was an issue, which caused the student finance to only inform me of how much I was supposed to get around the 25th August. The application was in a state called "held" or something similar but it was nothing to worry about apparently.

I asked around and people in a similar financial situation were getting around £8000. In addition to this in the first month due to the way they split the accommodation fees and loan amount the accommodation is more than the loan by like £200.
Original post by EpilepticRabbit
They were asked for additional forms about income and stuff, I don't know which ones exactly, but I do know I applied for the additional loan. I didn't apply or send it off particularly late, however there was an issue, which caused the student finance to only inform me of how much I was supposed to get around the 25th August. The application was in a state called "held" or something similar but it was nothing to worry about apparently.

I asked around and people in a similar financial situation were getting around £8000. In addition to this in the first month due to the way they split the accommodation fees and loan amount the accommodation is more than the loan by like £200.

Hi EpilepticRabbit

In order to assess you for the maximum support we would need your sponsors to provide their house hold income.

In orde to help you better can I ask what is the most recent information that your sponsors sent to us and when was it sent ?

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending