The Student Room Group

Business Studies?!?! URGENT.

Hi,
All my courses require A*AA-AAB, and if I have an A*A*A prediction in Economics, Pure Maths (so incl. FP1, FP2) and Business, respectively, will I still get offers? My Business is an A bc I picked it up in Year 13.
I want to do Accounting & Finance.
I realize Business is "soft" and that is scaring me very much because my university choices are quite competitive. I took Physics at AS and dropped it because I couldn't carry on.
All my courses are linear, except Maths which is an A at AS.
My choices are-
LSE (AAA)
UCL (A*AA)
St. Andrews (AAA)
Durham (AAB)
Exeter(?) (AAB) [not sure about fifth]

Please help?? Should I beg my sixth form to let me sit another A level, eg- History, provided I do the work for it by October?
My parents cannot pay for a university only to have me sit on my butt after graduation so I NEED a good university from those 5, preferably LSE.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keepyourapology
Hi,
All my courses require A*AA-AAB, and if I have an A*A*A prediction in Economics, Pure Maths (so incl. FP1, FP2) and Business, respectively, will I still get offers? My Business is an A bc I picked it up in Year 13.
I realize Business is "soft" and that is scaring me very much because my university choices are quite competitive. I took Physics at AS and dropped it because I couldn't carry on.
My choices are-
LSE (AAA)
UCL (A*AA)
St. Andrews (AAA)
Durham (AAB)

Please help?? Should I beg my sixth form to let me sit another A level, eg- History, provided I do the work for it by October?
My parents cannot pay for a university only to have me sit on my butt after graduation so I NEED a good university from those 5, preferably LSE.

What exam board are you from business and I'd say that's pretty impressive , I'm not sure for LSE but my brother somehow got in UCL with his predicted grades of ABB. I wouldn't suggest picking up history as it requires more time imo to grasp the concepts and can occasionally tend to be time consuming . I would suggest you stick to these subjects and put in some effort and I'm 99.9% sure it will be fine :smile:
Hi,
My choices are-
LSE (AAA)
UCL (A*AA)
St. Andrews (AAA)
Durham (AAB)

What course are you doing at UCL since they don't do A&F? And I'm not sure you meet the entry req. since you're doing Pure Math as opposed to Math with applied modules - are you doing applied modules? (may sound dumb but just making sure..)
Hi,
My choices are-
LSE (AAA)
UCL (A*AA)
St. Andrews (AAA)
Durham (AAB)

You won't get into LSE: 'London School of Economics and Political Science: ‘the combination of business studies and economics as two separate A-levels is best avoided.’

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/are-certain-a-level-combinations-too-narrow

'Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies'

'Common "non-preferred" subjects: Any Applied A level Accounting Art and Design Business Studies'

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Entry-Requirements
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BrenChongerZomb
What exam board are you from business and I'd say that's pretty impressive , I'm not sure for LSE but my brother somehow got in UCL with his predicted grades of ABB. I wouldn't suggest picking up history as it requires more time imo to grasp the concepts and can occasionally tend to be time consuming . I would suggest you stick to these subjects and put in some effort and I'm 99.9% sure it will be fine :smile:

I'm doing Edexcel! And thank you so much, I hope you're right! :smile:

Original post by Ze Witcher
What course are you doing at UCL since they don't do A&F? And I'm not sure you meet the entry req. since you're doing Pure Math as opposed to Math with applied modules - are you doing applied modules? (may sound dumb but just making sure..)

I'm looking at Statistics, Economics & Finance. And I am doing Statistics(S1,S2) on the side, so I will sit the exams but it will not count toward anything and I will mention this in my personal statement, i.e, that I am doing it only to be prepared for the course.
Original post by Glassapple
You won't get into LSE: 'London School of Economics and Political Science: ‘the combination of business studies and economics as two separate A-levels is best avoided.’

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/are-certain-a-level-combinations-too-narrow

'Examples of narrow subject combinations might be Economics, Business Studies'

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Entry-Requirements

They do allow it on occasions for LSE - go on LinkedIn and do an alumni search - I've seen examples of where people are doing math, economics and business studying A&F, even with AAB (not AAA as required).
I'm looking at Statistics, Economics & Finance. And I am doing Statistics(S1,S2) on the side, so I will sit the exams but it will not count toward anything and I will mention this in my personal statement, i.e, that I am doing it only to be prepared for the course.

If I were you, I'd double check with admissions about the whole pure math (ask if you would be better off swapping FP1/FP2 for S1/S2 when it comes to caching - at admissions).

And if you think you can handle another A level, go ahead. It could benefit you.
(edited 6 years ago)
They do allow it on occasions for LSE - go on LinkedIn and do an alumni search - I've seen examples of where people are doing math, economics and business studying A&F, even with AAB (not AAA as required).

If I were you, I'd double check with admissions about the whole pure math (ask if you would be better off swapping FP1/FP2 for S1/S2 when it comes to caching - at admissions).

And if you think you can handle another A level, go ahead. It could benefit you.

Ok, I've made a LinkedIn profile and I will check. Thank you so much! :smile:
Alright, you are right about that but my chances of getting an A* are way higher with the pure maths modules. However, if it doesn't work out, I'll just swap it out for something else.
I will talk to my sixth form tutor about it, maybe it will work.
Thank you so much for your input! :smile:

Ok, I've made a LinkedIn profile and I will check. Thank you so much! Alright, you are right about that but my chances of getting an A* are way higher with the pure maths modules. However, if it doesn't work out, I'll just swap it out for something else. I will talk to my sixth form tutor about it, maybe it will work. Thank you so much for your input!

That's not for the last 2, 3 or even 10 years of entry where competition has never been so high. Years ago you could get into Oxford with AAB, times have changed: 'AAB - its the standard PPE offer across Oxford (a few colleges may occasionally make a 3A offer) though it seems pretty low given the fierce competition.'

http://oxbridge-admissions.info/profiles-show.php?w=111
(edited 6 years ago)
That's not for the last 2, 3 or even 10 years of entry where competition has never been so high. Years ago you could get into Oxford with AAB, times have changed: 'AAB - its the standard PPE offer across Oxford (a few colleges may occasionally make a 3A offer) though it seems pretty low given the fierce competition.'

Will my higher predicted grades not compensate for anything at all?
Will my higher predicted grades not compensate for anything at all?

Realistically no, there will be people with preferred subject combinations who are predicted the same or higher as you. LSE attracts so many students from across the country that they can afford to be as picky as they like. They've stated a subject you're doing is 'non-preferred' and they state numerous times all over their website that three traditional preferred subjects are preferred for admission.
Realistically no, there will be people with preferred subject combinations who are predicted the same or higher as you. LSE attracts so many students from across the country that they can afford to be as picky as they like. They've stated a subject you're doing is 'non-preferred' and they state numerous times all over their website that three traditional preferred subjects are preferred for admission.

Ok, thank you for your input. I will reconsider my choice.

What are you on about? I was referring to the recent years and you can't use Oxford as an example here.

And competition has always been high, it's just not as high as other courses at LSE (referring to A&F).
(edited 6 years ago)
What are you on about? I was referring to the recent years and you can't use Oxford as an example here.

And competition has always been high, it's just not as high as other courses at LSE.

The OP can apply if they want, realistically they'll get rejected. It's LSE, not an, "oh just apply there anyway it will be all right in the end" university. I've given rational input quoting LSE several times from its website. The Oxford example was to show how things have moved on in general, the same will be for LSE In recent years.
(edited 6 years ago)
The OP can apply if they want, realistically they'll get rejected. It's LSE, not an, "oh just apply there anyway it will be all right in the end" university. I've given rational input quoting LSE several times from its website. The Oxford example was to show how things have moved on in general, the same will be for LSE In recent years.

And competition has always been high, it's just not as high as other courses at LSE (referring to A&F).

What about my other university choices? Are they ok?
Ok, I've made a LinkedIn profile and I will check. Thank you so much! :smile:
Alright, you are right about that but my chances of getting an A* are way higher with the pure maths modules. However, if it doesn't work out, I'll just swap it out for something else.
I will talk to my sixth form tutor about it, maybe it will work.
Thank you so much for your input! :smile:

Email admissions as well - despite it being seemignly easier, I've only realistically seen "Mathematics", not "Pure Mathematics" being the standard entry req. nearly everywhere.

You're making it sound like he'll outright get rejected. The whole myth about taking three facilitating subjects for courses like A&F at LSE isn't true.. I doubt his subject choice of pure math, and econ and business are of course issues, but there are multiple examples of people getting into A&F LSE with the subject combo I stated earlier; math, econ and business. He'll just have to have an outstanding PS and make use of the applied modules instead of the further math modules.
Email admissions as well - despite it being seemignly easier, I've only realistically seen "Mathematics", not "Pure Mathematics" being the standard entry req. nearly everywhere.

You're making it sound like he'll outright get rejected. The whole myth about taking three facilitating subjects for courses like A&F at LSE isn't true.. I doubt his subject choice of pure math, and econ and business are of course issues, but there are multiple examples of people getting into A&F LSE with the subject combo I stated earlier; math, econ and business. He'll just have to have an outstanding PS and make use of the applied modules instead of the further math modules.

We'll have to agree to disagree. All over the LSE website it's stated that three 'preferred' subjects are preffered for admission (not 'facilitating', they have their own list which I've linked to).
What about my other university choices? Are they ok?

Durham are the same as LSE - they don't like overlapping subjects (and I haven't seen examples of alumni) so that's down for you to check.

St Andrews has always been sketchy with admissions as they reject even the top people (you can do your research here).

Exeter not sure, but you should be fine there.

UCL - Further Math would of course help.

All of the above assumptions are me referring to "Mathematics" and not "Pure Mathematics" so email admissions to make sure.
Durham are the same as LSE - they don't like overlapping subjects (and I haven't seen examples of alumni) so that's down for you to check.

St Andrews has always been sketchy with admissions as they reject even the top people (you can do your research here).

Exeter not sure, but you should be fine there.

UCL - Further Math would of course help.

All of the above assumptions are me referring to "Mathematics" and not "Pure Mathematics" so email admissions to make sure.

Alright, thank you. I'll mention in my email that I am doing Stats on the side, as I want the Pure Maths qualification, but I will be on par with other applicants. Again, your input is very appreciated!
Alright, thank you. I'll mention in my email that I am doing Stats on the side, as I want the Pure Maths qualification, but I will be on par with other applicants. Again, your input is very appreciated!

Why do you want the pure maths qualification? Statistics will be more useful for the degree you want to do anyway, FP1 and FP2 aren’t going to help you and you’d be doing the statistics for nothing. Why don’t you do S1 and S2 for normal maths and then do AS further maths with FP1, M1 and D1?
(edited 6 years ago)
Why do you want the pure maths qualification? Statistics will be more useful for the degree you want to do anyway, FP1 and FP2 aren’t going to help you and you’d be doing the statistics for nothing. Why don’t you do S1 and S2 for normal maths and then do AS further maths with FP1, M1 and D1?

My A* prediction is reliant on me doing Pure, as the same person teaches me both. Statistics cannot be measured as I am doing it independently and my teachers will be highly reluctant to predict me an A* based on my independent work alone, which is a shame because my top choices explicitly or implicitly need the A* in Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending