The Student Room Group

Am I a UK student?

So right now, I have an Indian Citizenship, but i have a visa of permanent residence (pr) - Indefinite leave to remain in the UK (ILR). I've lived here most of my life and I am now in year 12. When I apply to university will I be considered as an international student or as a Uk student, since i don't have citizenship but i have PR. Plese search it up if unsure what it means. So will the tuition fees be the same as a uk studentor as an international student?
Original post by Uranium Potato
So right now, I have an Indian Citizenship, but i have a visa of permanent residence (pr) - Indefinite leave to remain in the UK (ILR). I've lived here most of my life and I am now in year 12. When I apply to university will I be considered as an international student or as a Uk student, since i don't have citizenship but i have PR. Plese search it up if unsure what it means. So will the tuition fees be the same as a uk studentor as an international student?

You would need to raise this query with Oxford University's Fees Office who apply the rules in place across English Universities at the present time. Details of how to do this can be found here;

http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/fees/status
Fee status is based on residency not nationality. So not being a formal UK citizen isnt in itself a problem. The info here : https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status suggests you may be considered as a UK applicant but everyone's circumstances are different so dont take this as a certainty.

If you apply and there is any doubt about your fee status then a Uni will ask you to complete a Fee Questionnaire if they decide to make you an offer. (They wont do this before an offer as they could be wasting their time if they decide to reject you) So, if you apply as UK/EU, you will just have to wait to see if they think its worth investigating any further.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
You would need to raise this query with Oxford University's Fees Office who apply the rules in place across English Universities at the present time. Details of how to do this can be found here;

http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/fees/status

Original post by returnmigrant
Fee status is based on residency not nationality. So not being a formal UK citizen isnt in itself a problem. The info here : https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status suggests you may be considered as a UK applicant but everyone's circumstances are different so dont take this as a certainty.

If you apply and there is any doubt about your fee status then a Uni will ask you to complete a Fee Questionnaire if they decide to make you an offer. (They wont do this before an offer as they could be wasting their time if they decide to reject you) So, if you apply as UK/EU, you will just have to wait to see if they think its worth investigating any further.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Oxford University's Fees Office who apply the rules in place across English Universities at the present time.

Oxford has no jurisdiction whatsoever over any other University.
Yes you are counted as a UK student. As you have been a resident in the UK for long enough.

I'm in a similar situation as I'm a US citizen with indefinite leave to remain who has been here since birth.
Original post by returnmigrant
Oxford has no jurisdiction whatsoever over any other University.

We are sorry if our meaning was not clear,

All of the Universities have to follow the same rules when classifying EU/UK students and international students for fee liability and at Oxford these rules are applied by the Fees Office (not the colleges or departments).

Brasenose Admissions
You fulfil the residency requirement but the residency cannot normally be for full-time education in the three years prior to that. But I'm not certain as you have been living in the UK for a very long time already.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
You fulfil the residency requirement but the residency cannot normally be for full-time education in the three years prior to that. But I'm not certain as you have been living in the UK for a very long time already.

The 3 years rule/education rule only applies if you are here in the UK solely for that reason. The OP has been here with his family and has ILR - not a student visa.

Quick Reply

Latest