The Student Room Group

How to get a job

I'm 24 and have no job. No where is taking me. I tried applying to Aldi and failed the online application and the same with Sainsburys. To make matters worse my stepbrother has just applied for a job at asda and got a interview. Why will nobody take me. I have not even heard from McDonald's
Sometimes it is how you answer the online applications - present yourself well as proud of the company, excellent customer service, stick to protocol but willing to help. It can also be down to experience. Maybe your stepbrother has more work experience?

What kind of roles are you applying for? If you apply for a wider variety of roles, you may have more luck (consider waitressing, admin, etc.)
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
Sometimes it is how you answer the online applications - present yourself well as proud of the company, excellent customer service, stick to protocol but willing to help. It can also be down to experience. Maybe your stepbrother has more work experience?

What kind of roles are you applying for? If you apply for a wider variety of roles, you may have more luck (consider waitressing, admin, etc.)

I do work experience all the time every Friday. I'm at college so I need part time work and they don't care
What kind of work experience are you doing? It might be worth getting someone to check your applications so it comes across well to employers before you send it off, like a teacher or family member.
Reply 4
At a castle but I need money
Keep applying. I went to a shopping centre and handed out 15 CV's - a few months later I was offered a temporary Christmas Job. It may not have been my thing but it's experience (and money 😉)
Reply 6
Original post by casual onion
Keep applying. I went to a shopping centre and handed out 15 CV's - a few months later I was offered a temporary Christmas Job. It may not have been my thing but it's experience (and money 😉)

I tried doing that a few months ago but no one got back to me
I got into the industry I'm in through a university Work placement. Some schools, like mine also offer them to. Is that an option.

Have you considered going to a careers advisor who can help you polish your CV?
Reply 8
I can't get a carers advisor because I'm 24. They don't care
Original post by Samboy10
I'm 24 and have no job. No where is taking me. I tried applying to Aldi and failed the online application and the same with Sainsburys. To make matters worse my stepbrother has just applied for a job at asda and got a interview. Why will nobody take me. I have not even heard from McDonald's

Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative.

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council
Reply 10
I live in shropshire and there is not much. I have tried loads but none get back to me
I live in shropshire and there is not much. I have tried loads but none get back to me

Have you tried looking in the bigger towns and cities?

What kind of things do you do in the castle? Certain skills may be transferrable to other lines of work.
Reply 12
Well I do litter picking and help set up for parties
I can't get a carers advisor because I'm 24. They don't care

Yes you can, you go to the Job Centre and there are loads of careers advisers there. You're not trying very hard to help yourself.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Glassapple
Yes you can, you go to the Job Centre and there are loads of careers advisers there. You're not trying very hard to help yourself.

And what do I say to them
Reply 15
What do I do
And what do I say to them

You ask them to help you find a job
Tell them what you're currently doing, what your skills are etc.
Original post by Analyst89
Where can you find jobs or apply to:

Retail

- Marks and Spencer
- Next
- Debenhams
- River Island
- Sports Soccer
- JD Sports
- Game
- John Lewis
- Toys R us
- TK Maxx
- Boots
- Poundland
- PC world
- Currys
- Ikea
- Superdrug's
- Staples
- Greggs
- Waterstones
- Primark
- Phone shops
- B and M(the Bargain Shop)

And many more others

Supermarket (Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl, Sainsbury's)
Restaurants (McDonalds, KFC, Burger Kind, Burger shops, Pizza Hut, Café Rouge)
Cinema's
Pubs
Warehouse (lots of jobs available as a operative, picker, packer, parcel sorter)
DIY Shops
Bookies
Fundraising (There are commission based and hourly paid for hitting targets)
Hotels

Also the type of jobs you can apply for:

Waiter, Kitchen Porter, Bar Staff, Housekeeper, Call Centre, Assistant, Checkout operator, Data entry, Cashier, Theatre supervisor, Gardening, Bin person, Home shopper, Customer Service, Hosting, Admin, Food Supervisor, Beverage Supervisor, Room Attendant, Catering Assistant, Porter, security steward, field operative.

Where to find jobs:

- Totaljobs
- Indeed
- Reed
- Monster
- Job centre plus
- Fish4jobs
- At your local Job centre board
- Gumtree
- Empty Lemon
- Retail jobs
- Job heaven
- Jobsite
- Your local shopping centre website
- Agencies
- Look through your Express and Star
- Shop Window
- Through someone
- Job open days (ask at your local job centre)
- Your university/college job shop
- Through your local council

This is really helpful, thank you. I'm only 16 but this will help me look for a part time job
Original post by minertommy
This is really helpful, thank you. I'm only 16 but this will help me look for a part time job

You're welcome :smile:.

There's plenty of waiter jobs on indeed and many, many warehouse jobs available if you go to your local agencies in your town centre.

Good luck
I highly recommend Indeed. It's a great app.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending