The Student Room Group

Help for personal statement and interview

Hi, I'm a ROI student I applied for nursing in NI last year but wasn't successful after interview, I didn't get the marks needed in my exams anyway. I'm doing the Irish equivalent of an Access course and I was wondering if there are any key things I should include in my personal statement? I hope to apply to Scotland and NI this year (QUB Magee, Robert Gordon and Stirling) I am also open to suggestion about which universities are easiest to get into (Scotland and NI only) , so if anyone has any tips for the interview it would be so helpful... the interview I did was in MMI format and I found it very difficult due to nerves.
Original post by anieocaidh
Hi, I'm a ROI student I applied for nursing in NI last year but wasn't successful after interview, I didn't get the marks needed in my exams anyway. I'm doing the Irish equivalent of an Access course and I was wondering if there are any key things I should include in my personal statement? I hope to apply to Scotland and NI this year (QUB Magee, Robert Gordon and Stirling) I am also open to suggestion about which universities are easiest to get into (Scotland and NI only) , so if anyone has any tips for the interview it would be so helpful... the interview I did was in MMI format and I found it very difficult due to nerves.

Hi, I am a first year adult nursing student, I only applied to two universities (not able to relocate etc) and got offers from both, one was MMI and one was group interview & individual interview.
Firstly, the topics of personal statements and interviews has been discussed on the nursing & midwifery forum before so I recommend doing a search to find some previous posts that may help you.
Secondly, here are a couple of websites that offer personal statement advice that you may find helpful:
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statements/personal-statement-advice-nursing-students
http://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/careers-advice/how-to-write-a-personal-statement-for-a-nursing-course-application/
I also recommend looking specifically at the websites of the universities you are looking to apply to, they normally offer advice (some specific to nursing, some general). It's good to get an idea of what they are asking for themselves.
I personally talked about why I want to study nursing, briefly about my relevant skills and experiences and what I was doing to prepare for university (I did an access course).
With the interviews, I know nerves can get the better of us sometimes so chatting to other applicants can help you relax while you are waiting. I also found sample questions online and practiced answering them out loud to prepare at home. The set up of MMI's can be difficult but I found just taking 20-30 seconds to form my answer before speaking it really helped.
Sorry for the waffle & I hope this helps.

(I will also tag @Charlotte's Web as she has personal statement advice on her signature that you may want to look at.)
Reply 2
Original post by mel_l218
Hi, I am a first year adult nursing student, I only applied to two universities (not able to relocate etc) and got offers from both, one was MMI and one was group interview & individual interview.
Firstly, the topics of personal statements and interviews has been discussed on the nursing & midwifery forum before so I recommend doing a search to find some previous posts that may help you.
Secondly, here are a couple of websites that offer personal statement advice that you may find helpful:
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statements/personal-statement-advice-nursing-students
http://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/careers-advice/how-to-write-a-personal-statement-for-a-nursing-course-application/
I also recommend looking specifically at the websites of the universities you are looking to apply to, they normally offer advice (some specific to nursing, some general). It's good to get an idea of what they are asking for themselves.
I personally talked about why I want to study nursing, briefly about my relevant skills and experiences and what I was doing to prepare for university (I did an access course).
With the interviews, I know nerves can get the better of us sometimes so chatting to other applicants can help you relax while you are waiting. I also found sample questions online and practiced answering them out loud to prepare at home. The set up of MMI's can be difficult but I found just taking 20-30 seconds to form my answer before speaking it really helped.
Sorry for the waffle & I hope this helps.

(I will also tag @Charlotte's Web as she has personal statement advice on her signature that you may want to look at.)

Thank you so much this will be a great help x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending