The Student Room Group

how is the algebra done

self-explanatory, how do you achieve the final results (equations 3.14 and 3.25)? I could not figure it out.

Thanks
If you want to do it the way they expect, take the expression they suggest for P2P_2 and substitute into the 2nd equation to get γ1P1γ2(c0+c1P1)/c2=γ0\gamma_1 P_1 - \gamma_2 (c_0+c_1P_1)/c_2 = -\gamma_0. Then it's fairly straightforward manipulation to finish (I would start by multiplying the equation by c_2).

I'd say it's cleaner here to multiply the first equation in 3.13 by γ2\gamma_2 and the 2nd by c2c_2. Then both equations have a c2γ2P2c_2\gamma_2 P_2 term, so by subtracting one from the other, you eliminate P_2 and can find P_1.

You haven't posted enough to comment about (3.25); none of the variables there are mentioned anywhere else in what you post.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Logolept

Hi, please try not to bump your thread - it causes the thread to look like it's been answered so people often won't look at your question. I removed all the posts.

If you leave your thread unanswered then it's very likely that you'll get a reply if you're patient.
Original post by DFranklin
If you want to do it the way they expect, take the expression they suggest for P2P_2 and substitute into the 2nd equation to get γ1P1γ2(c0+c1P1)/c2=γ0\gamma_1 P_1 - \gamma_2 (c_0+c_1P_1)/c_2 = -\gamma_0. Then it's fairly straightforward manipulation to finish (I would start by multiplying the equation by c_2).

I'd say it's cleaner here to multiply the first equation in 3.13 by γ2\gamma_2 and the 2nd by c2c_2. Then both equations have a c2γ2P2c_2\gamma_2 P_2 term, so by subtracting one from the other, you eliminate P_2 and can find P_1.

You haven't posted enough to comment about (3.25); none of the variables there are mentioned anywhere else in what you post.

I'm sorry I was not clear, it is the algebraic manipulation in both questions that confuses me. The substitution and stuff I get.
Original post by Logolept
I'm sorry I was not clear, it is the algebraic manipulation in both questions that confuses me. The substitution and stuff I get.
Post your attempt. No-one is going to do it for you. (I note also that I posted two methods, and for the second one I posted the algebra is very easy. Bluntly at this point I'm unconvinced you're putting in enough effort of your own...)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest