The Student Room Group

How to tell my driving instructor that I no longer want to carry on with her

So this is a tricky one. I want a new instructor and have already contacted others.
Now with my current instructor I can't just say I can't afford more lessons because I've already paid a block of 10 and on my third lesson. This is my third block with her, and she knows I'm trying to pass before December.

What believable excuses can I come up with? And I need my money back from the 7 hours that I'm not going to be taking.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blitterflicker
So this is a tricky one. I want a new instructor and have already contacted others.
Now with my current instructor I can't just say I can't afford more lessons because I've already paid a block of 10 and on my third lesson. This is my third block with her, and she knows I'm trying to pass before December.

What believable excuses can I come up with? And I need my money back from the 7 hours that I'm not going to be taking.

1. You can tell her you dont feel shes the right instructor for you and youve decided to stop.

2. Whether she gives you the money back is down to her and the terms and conditions of booking. It may be refundable or it may be non refundable. Depends what the terms an she says. Its likely she doesnt have to give you anything back at all.

Hi there! :wavey:

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:
Reply 3
I agree with 999... unless you are actually going to move location for e.g. university or a job I can't see there being any other option.

So I take it this is your third lesson what are the main problems your having with them? It might be worth coming clean with the "concerns" your having simply because changing instructor can waste more time and money. The grass may or may not be greener on the other side there's no real way of knowing.

Also next time I'd be careful never to initially block book lessons saving £10-20 and getting locked down with the wrong instructor is a bad idea. I think personally it takes about 5 lessons to work from you point of view if your instructor is the right one for you.
Probably non-refundable. Best idea IMO is to just use the remaining 7 hours and then tell her whatever you like to get rid.
Original post by T_B_N.
I agree with 999... unless you are actually going to move location for e.g. university or a job I can't see there being any other option.

So I take it this is your third lesson what are the main problems your having with them? It might be worth coming clean with the "concerns" your having simply because changing instructor can waste more time and money. The grass may or may not be greener on the other side there's no real way of knowing.

Also next time I'd be careful never to initially block book lessons saving £10-20 and getting locked down with the wrong instructor is a bad idea. I think personally it takes about 5 lessons to work from you point of view if your instructor is the right one for you.

Looks like I'm gonna have to deal with her until the end of my 10 lessons. I've had about 20 lessons with her, and stayed with her not realising that an instructor shouldn't be getting easily annoyed at you or always getting irritated once you do something wrong. My friends sister was with her and complained about her for not being professional, and I kind of just realised 'Hey. An instructor shouldn't be like that, it's their job to explain things properly and be patient'.

She's the only instructor I had so I guess I didn't think properly 😬
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Probably non-refundable. Best idea IMO is to just use the remaining 7 hours and then tell her whatever you like to get rid.

Yeah looks like I'll have to. Should have thought about things before paying her 240 pounds
Original post by 999tigger
1. You can tell her you dont feel shes the right instructor for you and youve decided to stop.

2. Whether she gives you the money back is down to her and the terms and conditions of booking. It may be refundable or it may be non refundable. Depends what the terms an she says. Its likely she doesnt have to give you anything back at all.

Probably best not to risk it, and make it awkward for us then. She pays by cash only as well so I doubt she does refunds.
Yeah looks like I'll have to. Should have thought about things before paying her 240 pounds

My worst habit is getting overzealous and putting all my eggs in one basket, financially :lol:
do the remaining lessons and then just leave her
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
My worst habit is getting overzealous and putting all my eggs in one basket, financially :lol:

Tell me about it 😫
Looks like I'm gonna have to deal with her until the end of my 10 lessons. I've had about 20 lessons with her, and stayed with her not realising that an instructor shouldn't be getting easily annoyed at you or always getting irritated once you do something wrong. My friends sister was with her and complained about her for not being professional, and I kind of just realised 'Hey. An instructor shouldn't be like that, it's their job to explain things properly and be patient'.

She's the only instructor I had so I guess I didn't think properly 😬

Oh my god - I'm literally in the same position with an instructor I hate.

Have you decided what you're going to say to them once your booking is done?
Why not just use the remaining hours then change? You’ve paid for those hours, use them. Extra practice, I guess.
Well if shes the problem you could always bring it up when shes doing whatever it is she does when annoyed. If she feels disrespected she herself would either want to stop teaching you in which i'm pretty sure she'd be inclined to refund you, or she'd change her habits. Best of luck
Original post by Ze Witcher

I'm just going to come up with an excuse like I'll be on holiday for 2 weeks/ seeing family abroad , and then just never contact them again😬. I know a lot of people recommend being straight up but it's easier said then done.

Or you could say you will stop driving for a while until you save up enough money to pay for 10 hours? That's probably more sensible
Generally non refundable. Best thing is to complete the hours and not book any more lessons.
With new insturctor, first take a taster lesson, and refrain from paying in blocks unless you are certain (through others experience/word of mouth and through your current lesskns with this instructor) that the instructor is good. You can take the taster lesson while still with your current instructor if you so wish.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm just going to come up with an excuse like I'll be on holiday for 2 weeks/ seeing family abroad , and then just never contact them again😬. I know a lot of people recommend being straight up but it's easier said then done.

That's almost like what I've done haha. Told him I'm going to university so will be moving away, but decided to take a year out so still at home.

Only problem is that if and when I go out driving with a new instructor, I'm scared that that he's going to see me when driving past :colondollar:.
That's almost like what I've done haha. Told him I'm going to university so will be moving away, but decided to take a year out so still at home.

Only problem is that if and when I go out driving with a new instructor, I'm scared that that he's going to see me when driving past :colondollar:.

Hahaha, I said the same thing with my friend when I told her I wanted out with my current instructor. Imagine how awkward that would be 🌚😂
Hahaha, I said the same thing with my friend when I told her I wanted out with my current instructor. Imagine how awkward that would be 🌚😂

Haha yh, I'm thinking about changing the way I look the next time I drive :colondollar:.
I don't know how to handle awkward situations like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending