The Student Room Group

Do you pay your parents "rent" or receive an allowance (POLL)?

Poll

Do you pay your parents rent or receive an allowance?

Ultimately, the question is if, as a uni student, you give money ("rent" ) or receive ("allowance" ) money from your parents. Even if you don't agree with the terminology, please vote accordingly.

I'm trying to prove that working class people are more likely to pay rent, following a discussion here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4981322&p=74003080&page=2&highlight=#post74003080

Note: everyone is invited to take part in the discussion, but, for the purpose of the poll, only British (nationality, identity, origin) uni students should vote.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I moved out ages ago, but my parents asked me to start paying rent when I turned 18.

Edit: Don't think I ever got an allowance whilst growing up, if I wanted to buy something I'd have to ask nicely for it, and if they said no then tough luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
I moved out ages ago, but my parents asked me to start paying rent when I turned 18.

Thank you for voting/replying.

@Ishax
I'm under no illusion that this constitutes scientific evidence, but if we are lucky enough to get 20+ votes it may give us an idea.
Reply 3
I don't live at home anymore (moved away for uni) but while I was at home, I did not pay rent or receive any sort of allowance.
Reply 4
Original post by Airmed
I don't live at home anymore (moved away for uni) but while I was at home, I did not pay rent or receive any sort of allowance.

And do you get money from them while at uni, or do you pay them something when you stay at home during holidays?
I don't receive allowance or pay rent but I will once I get a job
Reply 6
Original post by usualsuspects
And do you get money from them while at uni, or do you pay them something when you stay at home during holidays?

I get no money from my daddy, nor do I pay anything when I go home to visit (I don't return home for the summer). I just buy my own food sometimes.
Ultimately, the question is if, as a uni student, you give money ("rent" ) or receive ("allowance" ) money from your parents. Even if you don't agree with the terminology, please vote accordingly.

I'm trying to prove that working class people are more likely to pay rent, following a discussion here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4981322&p=74003080&page=2&highlight=#post74003080

Note: everyone is invited to take part in the discussion, but, for the purpose of the poll, only British (nationality, identity, origin) uni students should vote.

We call it housekeeping money , which is basically the same thing.
I paid some to my Mum last summer just gone because I got a job, I don't now I'm back at college, but I do contribute a bit towards fuel because I think they're tired of being a taxi driver... (saving up for driving lessons though) :laugh: Definately no allowance from them... its tragic, lol. :smile:
interesting question.

No, i do not pay rent or receive any sort of allowances
Reply 9
Thank you for voting/replying.

@Ishax
I'm under no illusion that this constitutes scientific evidence, but if we are lucky enough to get 20+ votes it may give us an idea.

Is your life really this pathetic or do you have nothing better to do with your time?

I genuinely feel very sorry for you.

I hope you get a hobby, instead of trying belittle other people’s opinions.

As for the poll, I don’t pay rent and I don’t receive any allowances. So where am I meant to vote?
(edited 6 years ago)
I spent almost more time at home than at university through my degrees, especially undergrad. Was never asked for rent and got stuff bought for me quite a bit by my parents, but no formal 'allowance'.
Reply 11
Original post by Ishax
Is your life really this pathetic or do you have nothing better to do with your time?

I genuinely feel very sorry for you.

I hope you get a hobby, instead of trying belittle other people’s opinions.

As for the poll, I don’t pay rent and I don’t receive any allowances. So where am I meant to vote?

I don't know why you're so aggressive. I pity you.

I'm not trying to belittle your opinions at all, nor did I make this thread with a negative attitude. If you can't stand a discussion than don't write on a forum.

I have hobbies and interests but at the moment I'm procrastinating revision, as everyone else here.

I should have included that option, unfortunately I'm afraid I can't edit it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I spent almost more time at home than at university through my degrees, especially undergrad. Was never asked for rent and got stuff bought for me quite a bit by my parents, but no formal 'allowance'.

Mmhh I suppose it counts as "allowance" (for the purpose of the poll), since it's money to buy food, pay bills and accommodation, so if they paid that directly for you, it's as if you received money
I don't know why you're so aggressive. I pity you.

I'm not trying to belittle your opinions at all, nor did I make this thread with a negative attitude. If you can't stand a discussion than don't write on a forum.

I have hobbies and interests but at the moment I'm procrastinating revision, as everyone else here.

I should have included that option, unfortunately I'm afraid I can't edit it.

How am I aggressive?

I’m pointing out how pathetic you’re being over my “opinion”. You quoted me in this discussion and made a thread over my opinion.

Ah well, please continue.

I have better things to do with my time :smile:
I think the idea of having to pay rent in the current economic climate is dumb. If you're that far behind that you require rent to learn independance, money management, etc. then you're hopeless.

Why should you make a payment towards living in a place that has been your home, or face being homeless?

It's an idea that may have seemed right 30 years ago, however for the youth of today it is hard to make ends meet so I don't think it's the right thing to do.

Of course, if you're parents are struggling to make ends meet, then its different.
(edited 6 years ago)
Neither - paying rent is stupid
I come from a working class family and I was the only one to go uni. I never received pocket money or an allowance. I had 2 paper rounds aged 13 and I had to give my mum some of it he money I got. When I got a proper job before uni I paid full board. I think they were right.
Reply 17
Original post by Ishax
How am I aggressive?

I’m pointing out how pathetic you’re being over my “opinion”. You quoted me in this discussion and made a thread over my opinion.

Ah well, please continue.

I have better things to do with my time :smile:

I was interested in this per se, I'm not doing it to prove you wrong as the poll has little "scientific" value
Reply 18
Original post by Spratty
I think the idea of having to pay rent in the current economic climate is dumb. If you're that far behind that you require rent to learn independance, money management, etc. then you're hopeless.

Why should you make a payment towards living in a place that has been your home, or face being homeless?

Original post by Hirsty97
Neither - paying rent is stupid

Agreed.
Neither. Not lived at home in several years, and do not and have never really (since I was a child) gotten any sort of allowance.
(Working/under class for reference)

Quick Reply

Latest