The Student Room Group

Personal Statement in 2 Subjects (Philosophy & Film)

Hey there!

So we're writing our personal statements at the moment, and I've realised how difficult it is writing a personal statement for 2 subjects.
The two subjects are Philosophy and Film. And the unis I'm applying to:

Film and Philosophy - Stirling
Film and Philosophy - Dundee
Film - QMU
Philosophy - Edinburgh
Film - Napier

Ideally I'd choose Dundee as my first choice, because I've heard good things and it sounds perfect online. But will the other unis deny me because my personal statement isn't focussed on their specific subject? And how would I go about writing a personal statement for both subjects?

Thanks for any replies.

-Bnaca
Universities realise that you will be applying to other courses, and therefore, the PS cannot be entirely geared/invested around one particular subject. Just try your best to get the right balance, and everything else will fall in place.
Original post by Bnaca
Hey there!

So we're writing our personal statements at the moment, and I've realised how difficult it is writing a personal statement for 2 subjects.

Film - QMU
Philosophy - Edinburgh
Film - Napier

Ideally I'd choose Dundee as my first choice, because I've heard good things and it sounds perfect online. But will the other unis deny me because my personal statement isn't focussed on their specific subject? And how would I go about writing a personal statement for both subjects?

Thanks for any replies.

-Bnaca

Make sure your statement is balanced between the two subjects. You may want to ask the ones where you're applying for single honours if they will accept a separate statement or even email and ask how you should handle the situation. The other thing to talk about is how the two subjects are linked. I haven't come across this combo before so just tagging in @PQ to see if she has any different thoughts.
Unfortunately you only write one PS even if you're applying for different courses. So just make sure that you aren't too focused on film, as the philosophy unis might reject you for not being interested enough and vice versa.
Original post by alleycat393
Make sure your statement is balanced between the two subjects. You may want to ask the ones where you're applying for single honours if they will accept a separate statement or even email and ask how you should handle the situation. The other thing to talk about is how the two subjects are linked. I haven't come across this combo before so just tagging in @PQ to see if she has any different thoughts.

How can I become a PS Reviewer, would enjoy it:smile:
Original post by King Leonidas
How can I become a PS Reviewer, would enjoy it:smile:

Create a thread here and tag She-Ra :smile:
Original post by alleycat393
Create a thread here and tag She-Ra :smile:

Original post by Bnaca
Hey there!

Film - QMU
Philosophy - Edinburgh
Film - Napier

Thanks for any replies.

-Bnaca

You need to do your research - if the Dundee course is your favourite then you're looking for a philosophy course with some film THEORY tacked on.

Both Napier and QMU iirr are highly practical courses focused on film MAKING/PRODUCING. A philosophy/theory heavy PS is going to raise warning flags to anyone from those universities reading it that you don't understand what you've applied to. Napier particularly in almost entirely practical.

I'd recommend limiting your choices to Stirling, Dundee and Edinburgh where the courses are theory based and you can focus on philosophy. Leave your other 2 choices blank for now. You can always add choices later on if you come across other courses that interest you - alternatively you might want to look outside Scotland IF you're not successful in getting offers for those three choices.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by King Leonidas
Universities realise that you will be applying to other courses, and therefore, the PS cannot be entirely geared/invested around one particular subject. Just try your best to get the right balance, and everything else will fall in place.

Universities assume that you've done your research and know what you want to study. They know you can only accept one offer and attend one course and expect you to have some clear idea about what that subject will be (even if you're not sure about where you'll study it).

Admissions tutors are academics. They've studied that subject as an undergraduate, as a post grad, they've completed a PhD and then dedicated their professional career to the research, practice and teaching of that subject. They're looking for people showing some seed of that dedication to their subject - enough to motivate them to complete 3+ years of study.

A PS that tries to cover multiple subjects and that is clear is from someone who hasn't decided which course they want to do is NOT appealing and is one of the few things in a PS that will result in a rejection.
Reply 9
Thank you everyone who has replied. This has been really helpful!
I went to the QMU Open Day and spoke with the lecturer. The course there is roughly 1 third practical based, while Napier is almost 100% practical. In an ideal world, I'd have Dundee as my first choice, and QMU as my second.
How would I go about focussing on a theory-based personal statement? Should I only specify research and theory based skills?
Thanks.
Original post by Bnaca
Thank you everyone who has replied. This has been really helpful!
I went to the QMU Open Day and spoke with the lecturer. The course there is roughly 1 third practical based, while Napier is almost 100% practical. In an ideal world, I'd have Dundee as my first choice, and QMU as my second.
How would I go about focussing on a theory-based personal statement? Should I only specify research and theory based skills?
Thanks.

I'd say focus on philosophy and your interests within philosophy. And use a para to expand upon that interest within film (eg specific cinematic techniques, directors that you know are influenced by philosophers, specific films that examine philosophical questions etc).
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
I'd say focus on philosophy and your interests within philosophy. And use a para to expand upon that interest within film (eg specific cinematic techniques, directors that you know are influenced by philosophers, specific films that examine philosophical questions etc).

Thanks for the advice.
I emailed Edinburgh, QMU and Napier about sending them an alternate personal statement to my UCAS one. QMU and Edinburgh both say it's fine, but have mentioned a few things. Edinburgh said that they're not obligated to take another personal statement into consideration, which is understandable; they also said that they understand that candidates will be applying to other universities, and that as long as my personal statement displayed my desire to study (philosophy) at their university, then it shouldn't be a problem. QMU said that a direct personal statement to them might put me at a disadvantage for oversubscribed courses.

I'm still awaiting a reply from Napier. I think I'll go ahead and write my personal statement, with both Film and Philosophy in mind, and then send separate ones to the single-honours universities.

Now comes the hard part of writing a personal statement for two subjects. Wish me luck!

Thank you to everyone who replied. Y'all really helped.

-Bnaca

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending