The Student Room Group

Would I have a chance at Cambridge University?

Hello, I am a year 12 student and I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. My GCSE’s are 5A* 1A 3B, A* in sciences and English aswell as a grade 9 in Maths. My gcse UMS for Sciences average around 97/100 suggesting similarly high UMS for AS levels too.

I have around 3 months of Carehome (still going), 1 month of Beavers (still going), 7 months at the East Anglian Children’s Hospice charity shop (finished), GP shadowing as well as Hospital work experience next year.

Provided I achieve about 5.5 to 6 on the BMAT and 90+ UMS in relevant subjects. Would I have a solid chance?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
A reasonable chance, but that's a lot of "ifs" that you don't know about yet.
Reply 2
Original post by A.Ibrahim01
Hello, I am a year 12 student and I am taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. My GCSE’s are 5A* 1A 3B, A* in sciences and English aswell as a grade 9 in Maths. My gcse UMS for Sciences average around 97/100 suggesting similarly high UMS for AS levels too.

I have around 3 months of Carehome (still going), 1 month of Beavers (still going), 7 months at the East Anglian Children’s Hospice charity shop (finished), GP shadowing as well as Hospital work experience next year.

Provided I achieve about 5.5 to 6 on the BMAT and 90+ UMS in relevant subjects. Would I have a solid chance?

It sounds like you will definitely have more than the required work experience, and presumably some extracurricular stuff too. However academics you will have no way of knowing probably until this time next year - good GCSEs don't guarantee you'll find A levels easy. I went from a solid A* in GCSE maths to a D at AS level (thankfully still got As in my other three subjects) so you really can't predict anything ahead of time.
Reply 3
Original post by LRxS
It sounds like you will definitely have more than the required work experience, and presumably some extracurricular stuff too. However academics you will have no way of knowing probably until this time next year - good GCSEs don't guarantee you'll find A levels easy. I went from a solid A* in GCSE maths to a D at AS level (thankfully still got As in my other three subjects) so you really can't predict anything ahead of time.

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely try my hardest and revise from now to ensure high UMS.
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
A reasonable chance, but that's a lot of "ifs" that you don't know about yet.

Haha, fair enough. WIll be back this time next year with some stats!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending