The Student Room Group

GCSE Simplification

Why is GCSE so lacking in the detail department? For example, in chemistry we are told electronic structures have a max of 2 in the first shell followed by 8 every shell after that. Why is this so?
(edited 4 years ago)
It's just because a lot of the 'truth' as it were is too high-level. If they can simplify it but it is still roughly right, they will so more people can access it. From my month doing a-level chemistry, it has all been gcse but a bit further, if you see what I mean, for example electronic configuration.
Original post by nathandavies386
Why is GCSE so lacking in the detail department? For example, in chemistry we are told electronic structures have a max of 2 in the first shell followed by 8 every shell after that. I go to do homework on this and see this isnt the case.Why???!

You're right, most of the stuff at GCSE is simplified. At GCSE it's 8 electrons in the 3rd shell, at A-level it's 18. The mass of an electron is generally 0 at GCSE, at A-level it's 1/1836. It's to make it easier I suppose.
Original post by questionofrust
It's just because a lot of the 'truth' as it were is too high-level. If they can simplify it but it is still roughly right, they will so more people can access it. From my month doing a-level chemistry, it has all been gcse but a bit further, if you see what I mean, for example electronic configuration.

Yeah, I thought so, especially as lower ability students would struggle and combined with all the other subjects it does seem like a tall ask.

Quick Reply

Latest