The Student Room Group

Computing Discussion Thread

Welcome to the computing discussion thread!

We've been noticing a lot of discussion about computing in recent weeks, especially the new specification controlled assessments which are starting up, so here is a brand new thread for discussion of all things computing :party2:

If you fancy introducing yourself, perhaps answer some of the following questions:
Year group/ Level of Study:
Exam board if you know it:
What interests you about computing?
Any topics you particularly hate?
What programming languages do you use?

This thread can be used for discussion of everything from controlled assessments to exams and more, however remember that due to copyright then tasks cannot be shared, nor solutions due to plagiarism detectors. Usual community guidelines also apply!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Year group/ Level of Study: Year 12 - first year of A-level
Exam board if you know it: OCR
What interests you about computing? As much of a cliche as it sounds, its just something I've always been interested in.
Any topics you particularly hate? Not really...
What programming languages do you use? Python which I know quite well as I used it at GCSE, but right now I'm learning bits of Visual Basic (because my teacher told us to but I want to stick with python)
Original post by thegalaxy
Year group/ Level of Study: Year 12 - first year of A-level
What interests you about computing? As much of a cliche as it sounds, its just something I've always been interested in.
Any topics you particularly hate? Not really...
What programming languages do you use? Python which I know quite well as I used it at GCSE, but right now I'm learning bits of Visual Basic (because my teacher told us to but I want to stick with python)

Sorry, completely missed this!
I'm in year 12 and on OCR as well :smile: (I probably should have answered the questions myself :lol:)
I have the same problem in that I swapped language for A level (as I changed school), so I've gone from vb to java. If you need any help with vb then shout and I can give it a shot :smile:

Year group/ Level of Study: Year 12 - First year of A level
What interests you about computing? The limitless possibilities =D
Any topics you particularly hate? I don't particularly enjoy the hardware side of things but apart from that I love it all lol
What programming languages do you use? Mostly Python as its the one iv been using for the past few years and the one I did for GCSE too. I know a little JavaScript and HTML and am learning VB and Java at the moment for A level.
Original post by Shadow_12

Year group/ Level of Study: Year 12 - First year of A level
What interests you about computing? The limitless possibilities =D
Any topics you particularly hate? I don't particularly enjoy the hardware side of things but apart from that I love it all lol
What programming languages do you use? Mostly Python as its the one iv been using for the past few years and the one I did for GCSE too. I know a little JavaScript and HTML and am learning VB and Java at the moment for A level.

Very similar to me again...apparently there's more year 12s out there doing computing than I thought!
How are you finding java? I find it very frustrating compared to vb, but maybe that's just me!
Year group/ Level of Study: 2nd Year Level 3 BTEC Computing (Software)
Exam board if you know it: Pearson?
What interests you about computing? Software Development
Any topics you particularly hate? The other **** the education system throws in like Digital Graphics and Animation and Multimedia. Yuck
What programming languages do you use? In the 5 years I have been programming, a few :tongue: I started off with UnityScript (a **** proprietary language by Unity) which I used for a few months. Then I switched to C# since then and love it. Also thrown in is some Visual Basic (Another **** language), some C++, JavaScript, HTML, CSS. Then a very small amount of Python and C.
Original post by Lemur14
Very similar to me again...apparently there's more year 12s out there doing computing than I thought!
How are you finding java? I find it very frustrating compared to vb, but maybe that's just me!

Haha yeah. Well technically im doing comp sci but they are similar tho right? Are you thinking of doing computing/comp sci uni?
I'm actually finding java nicer than vb :lol:. I dunno why but vb gets really confusing at some points. I still like both tho tbh and i think both will get less confusing (hopefully) once i learn the syntax and stuff.
Haha yeah. Well technically im doing comp sci but they are similar tho right? Are you thinking of doing computing/comp sci uni?
I'm actually finding java nicer than vb :lol:. I dunno why but vb gets really confusing at some points. I still like both tho tbh and i think both will get less confusing (hopefully) once i learn the syntax and stuff.

I'm technically doing comp sci as well :lol: I just shorten it to computing (I'm not even sure any of the exam boards actually call it computing any more, I think the old spec stuff was computing and then it all changed to computer science, although I might be wrong there).
I'm planning on maths at uni atm, although there's obviously time to change my mind!
vb is a little weird at points, but it was the first language I actually was able to do myself without my dad sitting there basically telling me what to write so I'm used to it :biggrin: I think part of it is the IDE we use though...we used visual studio for vb which is really nice whereas we're using this really weird one for java with no predictions of what you might want to write or anything at all useful! I'm hoping it will get easier as well...I'm still at the stage of constantly forgetting semicolons and whatever :lol:
Original post by Lemur14
I'm technically doing comp sci as well :lol: I just shorten it to computing (I'm not even sure any of the exam boards actually call it computing any more, I think the old spec stuff was computing and then it all changed to computer science, although I might be wrong there).
I'm planning on maths at uni atm, although there's obviously time to change my mind!
vb is a little weird at points, but it was the first language I actually was able to do myself without my dad sitting there basically telling me what to write so I'm used to it :biggrin: I think part of it is the IDE we use though...we used visual studio for vb which is really nice whereas we're using this really weird one for java with no predictions of what you might want to write or anything at all useful! I'm hoping it will get easier as well...I'm still at the stage of constantly forgetting semicolons and whatever :lol:

Ohh ok yeah I think it might be too.
Nice!!!
Thats cool!!! What does your dad do? That was the same with me but with python instead. Yeah we are using visual studio for vb too! Aww no that sucks. Do you use greenfoot for java, cos its the one we are using atm and im finding it quite nice tbh.
Yep i get you lol learning the programming punctuation sucks at the start. :lol:
Ohh ok yeah I think it might be too.
Nice!!!
Thats cool!!! What does your dad do? That was the same with me but with python instead. Yeah we are using visual studio for vb too! Aww no that sucks. Do you use greenfoot for java, cos its the one we are using atm and im finding it quite nice tbh.
Yep i get you lol learning the programming punctuation sucks at the start. :lol:

Are you planning comp sci at uni then?
My dad is a software engineer :smile: He can use something like 7 languages and is quite ood at making up other ones so it's really useful! Visual Studio is like the best thing ever :biggrin: No, we use bluej which is a bit rubbish...I have netbeans at home though which is quite nice, I'll take a look at greenfoot :smile:
vb doesn't really use much punctuation though which messes me up even more :lol:
I’m currently doing Computing at uni :h:
Year group/ Level of Study: Year 13
Exam board if you know it: AQA
What interests you about computing? ooo a lot of things!! idk honestly can't put my finger on it but it's jus interesting!! maybe its link with maths lol
Any topics you particularly hate? abstraction is dead as f u c c
What programming languages do you use? VB.NET!!
Original post by Lemur14
Are you planning comp sci at uni then?
My dad is a software engineer :smile: He can use something like 7 languages and is quite ood at making up other ones so it's really useful! Visual Studio is like the best thing ever :biggrin: No, we use bluej which is a bit rubbish...I have netbeans at home though which is quite nice, I'll take a look at greenfoot :smile:
vb doesn't really use much punctuation though which messes me up even more :lol:

Yepp :biggrin: Its literally the only course/subject that interests me tbh
Coool!!!!! My dad is a software engineer too!!
Ohh ok never heard of that lol. Nice!! Netbeans is quite nice i agree, i used it last year for HTML and Javascript. You can program simple games and stuff on there which is pretty cool :smile:
lmao yeah thats true :lol:
Original post by Kevin Hodge
I’m currently doing Computing at uni :h:

What year of uni are you in? and how are you finding it so far? :smile:
What year of uni are you in? and how are you finding it so far? :smile:

I’m in my first year. It’s not too bad atm. Most of it is just building on what you learnt in A-levels. There is a high workload though and the deadlines are coming thick and fast. The first few weeks have flown past.
I’m in my first year. It’s not too bad atm. Most of it is just building on what you learnt in A-levels. There is a high workload though and the deadlines are coming thick and fast. The first few weeks have flown past.

Cool!! Thats good! The dreaded deadlines lol
What uni do you go to?
Cool!! Thats good! The dreaded deadlines lol
What uni do you go to?

They’re very strict too.
Bournemouth :smile:
They’re very strict too.
Bournemouth :smile:

Aww no :sad:
Cool!!
Year group/ Level of Study:
Year 12 (first year of A-levels)
Exam board if you know it:
OCR
What interests you about computing?
I just really enjoy it.
Any topics you particularly hate?
Some sections of theory.
What programming languages do you use?
I have used HTML/CSS, but, for my A-level, I am using Python.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yepp :biggrin: Its literally the only course/subject that interests me tbh
Coool!!!!! My dad is a software engineer too!!
Ohh ok never heard of that lol. Nice!! Netbeans is quite nice i agree, i used it last year for HTML and Javascript. You can program simple games and stuff on there which is pretty cool :smile:
lmao yeah thats true :lol:

That's really cool, any particular unis you're considering?
Lool we're so similar!
I'd never heard of it either until we started using it :lol: I don't think it's very popular (because it's pretty bad tbh). I haven't moved off console applications on java yet so I don't really know the full functionality of anything... We're mostly making calculators and things like that so far so relatively simple but good for developing skills in a new language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending