The Student Room Group

Law degree at a non RG

Just need some advice, I have been offered a place at ljmu to study law with criminal justice this year however after having a good read into it, i don’t think it’s a great idea to study at law at ljmu due to the competition in law and it not being a RG un, i don’t know whether to wait a year and study accountancy I requested to move to that course but it was full. Advice is welcome
Original post by ryanefc98
Just need some advice, I have been offered a place at ljmu to study law with criminal justice this year however after having a good read into it, i don’t think it’s a great idea to study at law at ljmu due to the competition in law and it not being a RG un, i don’t know whether to wait a year and study accountancy I requested to move to that course but it was full. Advice is welcome

Need a bit of context, what are your grades etc
Reply 2
Original post by mjustliving
Need a bit of context, what are your grades etc

Ict A
Maths E
Sociology C
General C
90 credit btec Engineering double distinction

I'm not sure about Law but all I know is that it's very competitive and you def need to go to a good school compared to other degrees.
Ict A
Maths E
Sociology C
General C
90 credit btec Engineering double distinction

What kind of career are you looking to pursue. I'm not too sure about the reputation of LJMU but if you're unsure on the career you want then I would say do law there, rather than waiting a year to do accountancy which has relatively similar job prospects
Reply 5
What kind of career are you looking to pursue. I'm not too sure about the reputation of LJMU but if you're unsure on the career you want then I would say do law there, rather than waiting a year to do accountancy which has relatively similar job prospects

If I was to do law it would to become a solicitor but there still seems to be a sense of elitism when it comes to obtaining training schemes and getting a job also I have seen people say a 1st at a poor uni in law is the equivalent to a 2.2 at a Russel group uni. Credit me if I am wrong about anything I have typed there.
The RG thing is a bit of a misnomer. There are people who have attended LJMU for law and have been extremely successful in graduate life. However, those people are the ones who choose to be at LJMU. They have A*AA but they like a particular professor or their friends are all attending the uni. They're driven people who simply choose to study at LJMU.

You are someone who is studying there because you have no other choice. That is what your downfall will be, not that LJMU is going to be on your degree certificate. It is unlikely that you are going to be able to turn around your entire attitude towards academics and do well on the course, get a high first, when you couldn't even manage to get Cs on some A-Levels. What is likely is you'll scrape a 2:1 from not really engaging with the degree, you will not take up the extracurricular opportunities, you will not have the fortitude to apply to training contract after training contract even though you're getting rejection after rejection.

Accounting might be the way ahead for you. Unless you think you can seriously change how you operate.
If I was to do law it would to become a solicitor but there still seems to be a sense of elitism when it comes to obtaining training schemes and getting a job also I have seen people say a 1st at a poor uni in law is the equivalent to a 2.2 at a Russel group uni. Credit me if I am wrong about anything I have typed there.

You would have to ask someone who's more knowledgeable on the matter than I am but I think that if you can get a 1st, build up a good CV, win lots of competitions, get some good work experience then you have a solid chance at getting a training contract- provided you present yourself well.
Don’t study accounting degree, study a professional accounting qualification.
Reply 9
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
The RG thing is a bit of a misnomer. There are people who have attended LJMU for law and have been extremely successful in graduate life. However, those people are the ones who choose to be at LJMU. They have A*AA but they like a particular professor or their friends are all attending the uni. They're driven people who simply choose to study at LJMU.

You are someone who is studying there because you have no other choice. That is what your downfall will be, not that LJMU is going to be on your degree certificate. It is unlikely that you are going to be able to turn around your entire attitude towards academics and do well on the course, get a high first, when you couldn't even manage to get Cs on some A-Levels. What is likely is you'll scrape a 2:1 from not really engaging with the degree, you will not take up the extracurricular opportunities, you will not have the fortitude to apply to training contract after training contract even though you're getting rejection after rejection.

Accounting might be the way ahead for you. Unless you think you can seriously change how you operate.

I studied the alevels at home the maths went down hill when trying to maintain the course work for the engineering
Reply 10
Original post by Dominoes
Don’t study accounting degree, study a professional accounting qualification.

How come ?
I studied the alevels at home the maths went down hill when trying to maintain the course work for the engineering

You studied two proper academic subjects and you got an E and a C in them. If you're absolutely convinced you can do better and that you're a real go-getter, then do it. However, if you take law and you don't perform better than you did these last two years, the lie will harm you and not me.
a law degree at a non RG uni is still very good a degree is a degree at the end of the day
Reply 13
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You studied two proper academic subjects and you got an E and a C in them. If you're absolutely convinced you can do better and that you're a real go-getter, then do it. However, if you take law and you don't perform better than you did these last two years, the lie will harm you and not me.

Sociology 4 exam grades where BBAE
Last 33 mark essay cost me the grade and tbh Alevel maths trying to learn it out of a textbook isn’t an easy thing i can tell you that
Sociology 4 exam grades where BBAE
Last 33 mark essay cost me the grade and tbh Alevel maths trying to learn it out of a textbook isn’t an easy thing i can tell you that

Best of luck.
Reply 15
You would have to ask someone who's more knowledgeable on the matter than I am but I think that if you can get a 1st, build up a good CV, win lots of competitions, get some good work experience then you have a solid chance at getting a training contract- provided you present yourself well.

Thanks for that
My impression was what notorious said that you dont seem driven or focused on Law. Its a more important issue than RG/ Non RG

Your A levels arent great which is a concern and puts you behind the many lawyers who will have much higher. You should never let t put you off but you need to want it.

A year out would do you food and give you time to focus. Accounts can be great if you have a passion/ aptitude for it. You can also get a job part qualified rather than having to chase around after a TC. Only o to uni when you know you are ready for it. I would also do straight law unless I had a massive interest in criminal justice and wanted my career in that direction. A straight law degree will give you the option of studying a wider range of modules.
How come ?

To become a chartered accountant you need to study professional qualification like ACCA is more respected, recognised worldwide, cheaper, can work on job, might be sponsored etc. If you study ACCA after the degree it seems like the degree was a waste of money and time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending