The Student Room Group

I'm so mad at my parents

Scroll to see replies

same
Reply 21
Original post by SophieSmall
You sound like a spoiled brat, you're not entitled to anything from them.

I agree it's silly they aren't letting you get a job though.

No, he doesn't. Behave yourself.

@OP why are your parents giving your cousin £13k?
Original post by Anonymous
When a cousin abroad asks for new things, he gets it the next week. But when I ask for something, it takes me about 3 weeks to finally to get an answer out of my parents mouth, and another 3 weeks to actually get it.

My parents are always so stingy, especially with me. When i ask for something, they always buy me the lowest quality things and if i ask for better things, they wont get it for me.

I had asked them for a new bike 4 months ago because it takes me so long to get to school by walking 30-40 minutes and only yesterday they agreed.

At the start of the year (year 12) I had asked my parents for a new notebook, as the school will not provide it any longer as i'm not in year 11. They bought one for 1 pound and when it ran out last week, they've been blaming me saying i'm wasting paper and haven't bothered to buy me decent books.

I know the usual replies, "they probably find it hard to pay" and etc. BUT How is that when my cousins family asks for 13 thousand pounds, my dad and mum can get a loan to get it to them, but when I ask for a new book, which is about 3 quid, they cant be bothered to ****ing do anything about it?

I get 6 pounds each week, and if i spend it on stationary, my parents complain. I cant work because "it would stop me from focusing in education" and this is stopping me from getting a good uni. Then presumably, when i dont get good work experience (i tried to work at a charity shop, which they didnt let me) and not get into a good uni, i'll be the one to blame.

When i spent my money last time on stationary, they got mad and told me to ask them if i wanted things to do with education. But it takes them about 3 weeks to even consider it. So far since my book ran out (for examplE) i've had to scavenge around for extra paper and ask my friends, which is pretty shameful.

I feel that they are being unjust.

Can't you just steal exercise books from school. They usually have packs lying around, say in an english classroom. Go in, carefully at lunchtime or early in the morning when they are empty and no risk of a teacher coming in, and just take loads.
Reply 23
So i'm spoiled for asking for new books to write in? I've never asked them for a phone in my entire life and only got it because my cousin gifted it to me. I've never asked for money personally. I'm not entitled to get anything from them, true. But at the same time, they aren't allowed to stop me from making money myself.

Of course you are entitled to be supported until you are 18 (at least) and that should definitely include material for education.
Reply 24
Original post by JMtheking
Can't you just steal exercise books from school. They usually have packs lying around, say in an english classroom. Go in, carefully at lunchtime or early in the morning when they are empty and no risk of a teacher coming in, and just take loads.

This is indecent.
Steal money from your parents if you really need to, but don't follow this criminal advice.
I've mentioned it so in the thread, they won't let me get a job. They keep interfering in everything i do. I even wanted to resume year 12 in my old school, but they forced to me to go to a grammar school and now i hate it here. No friends, no one to talk to. But if i mention this, "we are doing this for the best of you".

Ye sure, and when you die, it'll be me suffering.

this is literally me . pm me we can talk about it I'm year 13 tho but omg Ur og post is literally me I wonder why are parents are like this !
Original post by usualsuspects
This is indecent.
Steal money from your parents if you really need to, but don't follow this criminal advice.

lol, stealing money from parents is worse- it will effect them more.
100*cost of books/salary=x%
stealing from government:
100*cost of books/tax (billions)=y%

y<x, y is smaller than x by a magnitude of millions
Reply 27
lol, stealing money from parents is worse- it will effect them more.
100*cost of books/salary=x%
stealing from government:
100*cost of books/tax (billions)=y%

y<x, y is smaller than x by a magnitude of millions

"Stealing" money from his parents is simply taking what he is entitled to from the people who should voluntarily provide for him. Stealing from the state is criminal.
"Stealing" money from his parents is simply taking what he is entitled to from the people who should voluntarily provide for him. Stealing from the state is criminal.

Would you steal from your parents?
Seriously - I could have written this. This is my family to a damn tee!

My mum is stingy with everyone, even herself. and in her scenario its because shes always had to be due to growing up with little money so its not really her fault. my dad however is the worst, its like he doesn't even love his damn children because we're not his number one priority. he doesn't even get us low quality stuff, for a long time he just straight out said no if he thought we didn't need it. like stationary for school - he'd say stuff like 'don't they give out pen/pencils in school? surely you can borrow one from someone' and if by some miracle he actually did buy some pens he'd expect them to last and would throw a fit if he found out that the extremely cheap pens he bought for you were broken/had gone missing!

so with his own wife and kids it was always no, no, no or cheap tat and then when we started making our own money it was 'well why can't you buy it for yourself?' but with my cousins or aunties and uncles - no word of a lie - he literally throws thousands of pounds at them. even when they're not asking, he wants to buy their love/respect/admiration so he'll just randomly ask them 'whats wrong? do you need something? tell me, no matter what it is I'll buy it for you'!!! and if they say no he pushes them into saying yes, always saying 'money is no problem, ask for anything'. and so naturally because his family are equally as stingy and hate buying stuff for themselves they convince their children to go to my dad whenever they need something. so if they ask my dad to buy hair gel he won't just buy them any hair gel, he'll get the high quality stuff. and of course he'll buy them 2-3. we get **** all! they get professional brands!!

and its not just money. there was a time we had a tub of ice cream in our house, we had asked him to buy one and amazing he bought it for us. then my young cousins came over and started playing, they ate dinner at our home and we made the mistake of telling them that we had ice cream for dessert. and like sweets are a rarity in our home so we were really looking forward to having some dessert that day. but my cousins dad suddenly came over and said they had to go home and my cousin kept saying 'we haven't had ice cream yet' so heres me thinking my dad was going to quickly give him a bowl of ice cream but nooooo, he gives him the whole tub to take home with him! seriously me and my brothers were screaming at him, saying why are you giving him the whole thing and he just kept shushing us. MADE. MY. BLOOD. BOIL. I know its just ice cream but it was the ****ing unfairness of it all! thats why his kids hate him, hes never cared much for us so in return his kids don't care a damn about him. honestly he can go to hell.
Reply 30
Would you steal from your parents?

No, because they provide for my basic needs and much much more.

In OP's condition, maybe. But I wouldn't steal from the state.
No, because they provide for my basic needs and much much more.

In OP's condition, maybe. But I wouldn't steal from the state.

Fair enough.

Lets just agree to disagree in this discussion.
Lol, I never got pocket money so £6 is actually pretty good. You can get a notebook/notepad for like a £1 and if they complain, let them complain. They can't be pissed that you spend your pocket money on something to help your education, especially as they seem focused on you having a good education. You can still work if you want to. I worked in college and I will be working throughout my degree; it's possible and people do it all the time.

Just ignore them. Get a cheap notepad and send out some CVs. That's what normal people do; your parents aren't behaving normally.

Also, bikes are super expensive so maybe your parents just don't have much money? My parents don't have much money (which is why I never got pocket money) so I didn't get everything I wanted.

What do you think your cousin does/is like that your parents seem to love so much? There's definitely favouritism there. You should bring it up to them if you can and ask them what they're doing.

When a cousin abroad asks for new things, he gets it the next week. But when I ask for something, it takes me about 3 weeks to finally to get an answer out of my parents mouth, and another 3 weeks to actually get it.

My parents are always so stingy, especially with me. When i ask for something, they always buy me the lowest quality things and if i ask for better things, they wont get it for me.

I had asked them for a new bike 4 months ago because it takes me so long to get to school by walking 30-40 minutes and only yesterday they agreed.

At the start of the year (year 12) I had asked my parents for a new notebook, as the school will not provide it any longer as i'm not in year 11. They bought one for 1 pound and when it ran out last week, they've been blaming me saying i'm wasting paper and haven't bothered to buy me decent books.

I know the usual replies, "they probably find it hard to pay" and etc. BUT How is that when my cousins family asks for 13 thousand pounds, my dad and mum can get a loan to get it to them, but when I ask for a new book, which is about 3 quid, they cant be bothered to ****ing do anything about it?

I get 6 pounds each week, and if i spend it on stationary, my parents complain. I cant work because "it would stop me from focusing in education" and this is stopping me from getting a good uni. Then presumably, when i dont get good work experience (i tried to work at a charity shop, which they didnt let me) and not get into a good uni, i'll be the one to blame.

When i spent my money last time on stationary, they got mad and told me to ask them if i wanted things to do with education. But it takes them about 3 weeks to even consider it. So far since my book ran out (for examplE) i've had to scavenge around for extra paper and ask my friends, which is pretty shameful.

I feel that they are being unjust.
Reply 33

So your own flesh and blood is less important to you than a bunch of bureaucrats who don't even know that you exist?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by hannxm
Lol, I never got pocket money so £6 is actually pretty good. You can get a notebook/notepad for like a £1 and if they complain, let them complain. They can't be pissed that you spend your pocket money on something to help your education, especially as they seem focused on you having a good education. You can still work if you want to. I worked in college and I will be working throughout my degree; it's possible and people do it all the time.

Just ignore them. Get a cheap notepad and send out some CVs. That's what normal people do; your parents aren't behaving normally.

Also, bikes are super expensive so maybe your parents just don't have much money? My parents don't have much money (which is why I never got pocket money) so I didn't get everything I wanted.

What do you think your cousin does/is like that your parents seem to love so much? There's definitely favouritism there. You should bring it up to them if you can and ask them what they're doing.

i literally dont know why my parents love them so much.

Last year for my cricket team thing in school, i had asked my dad for a new bat (mine was getting small) and it tooks him around three weeks to finally get one and he got it as bargain from a local shop.

But heres the real thing that absolutely pissed me off. Before we went to india, a week before, my cousin asked my dad for a new set of bat. The guys 8 years old, and is utterly rude to me and my sister and what does my dad do? He gets him a bat for 60 pound, with wickets and 2 sets of ball.

I totally get annoyed by him and everytime he speaks to his sisters and brothers on the phone, they always ask for money and he just gives it over, but if my mum and me spend a little extra on groceries and snacks, its him biting up and arguing why we "waste" so much money.
Reply 35
Original post by Ray_Shadows
oh ok my bad , aren't grammar school expensive though

what are u on about??
grammar schools are free just like any other schools, the only difference is they have an entrance exam which you have to pass to get a place in the school.
Original post by tdag
what are u on about??
grammar schools are free just like any other schools, the only difference is they have an entrance exam which you have to pass to get a place in the school.

oh ok
OP I can truly understand why your upset. You're definitely not acting entitled. You're just tired of the double standard.
Use that £6 to buy some cheap exercise books and look for a part time job. Not something too time consuming that it'll take time away from studies but just enough to cover your expenses.
Good luck and I hope your situation gets better.
Plus I was wondering. Have you ever directly asked your father about the double standards? If so what did he say?
Original post by hellomellow
OP I can truly understand why your upset. You're definitely not acting entitled. You're just tired of the double standard.
Use that £6 to buy some cheap exercise books and look for a part time job. Not something too time consuming that it'll take time away from studies but just enough to cover your expenses.
Good luck and I hope your situation gets better.
Plus I was wondering. Have you ever directly asked your father about the double standards? If so what did he say?

he's not prepared to listen to any of it. He's one of those people to think that reputation is more important than showing respect. He acts all good outside of my hhouse, but once inside he gives me 0 respect. He used to abuse me a lot, but after i grew taller than him and started to fight back in certain issues he stopped.

My mum on the other hand tends to turn emotional if i bring up stuff that my dad does. Shes goes on about killing herself because she doesn't like to hear my complaints everyday.
Original post by SophieSmall
You sound like a spoiled brat, you're not entitled to anything from them.

I agree it's silly they aren't letting you get a job though.

Incorrect. He is entitled to many things from them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending