The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at Cambridge with these predicted grades?

I'm applying for chemical engineering at Cambridge where the entry requirements are A*A*A. I achieved AA in the AS maths and further maths exams but my teachers are refusing to predict me any A*s but I may possibly get 1, I am predicted As in my others with another possible A*. With a exceptional personal statement how good of a chance do I have of getting an interview, please be brutally honest.
Yeah you got NO CHANCE AT ALL
Why do you people make these threads?
Is it to brag?
Reply 2
Original post by saggy titties
Yeah you got NO CHANCE AT ALL
Why do you people make these threads?
Is it to brag?

No, I'm just scared, Cambridge is obviously of the highest standard and the entry requirements are A*A*A and worst case scenario I would get AAAA predicted and I don't know how that would compete against other applicants, like how much does that lessen the chance I get an interview that my predicted grades don't meet the entry requirements, that just scares me, I want to think I have a decent chance but this just makes me unsure.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Samii123
No, I'm just scared, Cambridge is obviously of the highest standard and the entry requirements are A*A*A and worst case scenario I would get AAAA predicted and I don't know how that would compete against other applicants, like how much does that lesson the chance I get an interview that my predicted grades don't meet the entry requirements, that just scares me, I want to think I have a decent chance but this just makes me unsure.

Either way, I would apply anyway because you might as well, but have back up choices because even with the right predicted grades you might not get a place.
They can probably tell from your AS ums whether you’re on track for a*a*a even if your teachers don’t predict you a* so if your ums is good why not go for it

Maybe get your referee to explain that the maths dept don’t predict a* grades owtte
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm applying for chemical engineering at Cambridge where the entry requirements are A*A*A. I achieved AA in the AS maths and further maths exams but my teachers are refusing to predict me any A*s but I may possibly get 1, I am predicted As in my others with another possible A*. With a exceptional personal statement how good of a chance do I have of getting an interview, please be brutally honest.

What was your UMS in your AS subjects?
Reply 6
Original post by Plagioclase
What was your UMS in your AS subjects?

C1- 90 C2- 90 FP1 -85 S1-88 M1-100 D1-78 (idk what happened in that one)

Also, you don't HAVE to put the individual ums for each module do you, or do Cambridge specifically request this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Bump
Reply 8
Naturally you have a chance, the question really should be as to whether or not it is a good one...
Reply 9
Original post by Napp
Naturally you have a chance, the question really should be as to whether or not it is a good one...

Well do you think I have a good chance or not
C1- 90 C2- 90 FP1 -85 S1-88 M1-100 D1-78 (idk what happened in that one)

Also, you don't HAVE to put the individual ums for each module do you, or do Cambridge specifically request this.

Cambridge specifically request it as part of the SAQ.

With an 89 average I don't think an A rather than an A* prediction is that unfair. If you really want to apply to Cambridge then apply. Its very competitive and you are not predicted to meet their standard offer, so you need to be realistic about your chances, but the only way to 100% not get in is not to apply.

If, when results day comes, you do better than your predictions you can always take a year out and reapply.
Reply 11
Original post by Indigo&Violet
Cambridge specifically request it as part of the SAQ.

With an 89 average I don't think an A rather than an A* prediction is that unfair. If you really want to apply to Cambridge then apply. Its very competitive and you are not predicted to meet their standard offer, so you need to be realistic about your chances, but the only way to 100% not get in is not to apply.

If, when results day comes, you do better than your predictions you can always take a year out and reapply.

I don't really want to take a year out of education just to reapply but how much of a chance do I really have of getting a conditional do you think?
Reply 12
I don't really want to take a year out of education just to reapply but how much of a chance do I really have of getting a conditional do you think?

Your chances are probably below average if your predictions don't meet the requirements. However there's no harm in applying* and perhaps a very good performance in the ENGAA will help strengthen your application.

*It's just one choice of your 5. If you don't apply you definitely won't get an offer...

Also you don't have to apply to all 5 by 15th October. You could just apply to Cambridge and then add the others later. Keeping one choice back until after you receive your Cambridge decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending