The Student Room Group

I need careers advice.

I'm 16 and have just started my A levels. I'm considering a career in medicine, perhaps something to do with the brain. However, I also like the idea of business and economics. My question is, which one pays better? Bluntly.

I'm currently doing maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Would, I have to drop a subject and take economics if I did change my mind and wanted to do business?
Original post by Party-P3opl3-9
I'm 16 and have just started my A levels. I'm considering a career in medicine, perhaps something to do with the brain. However, I also like the idea of business and economics. My question is, which one pays better? Bluntly.

I'm currently doing maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and biology. Would, I have to drop a subject and take economics if I did change my mind and wanted to do business?

You don't need business at a level to study business at a level.

Business depends on what you want to do with the degree - it's so varied. And medicine you need to be committed and it's competitive. It honestly depends on what you want to do.
You usually don't need to have taken economics at A-level to pursue economics/business at degree level, maths however is necessary. Start looking into some universities you would be interested in going to to study economics and see what their entry requirements are.

As for which pays higher, completely depends. There are some low paying jobs in economics and there are some extremely high paying jobs, but it can be difficult to get these jobs. As for medicine, look at the NHS pay scale banding to get an idea of pay. At least with that you have a good idea from the get go what kind of pay you'd be looking at in the future.
(edited 6 years ago)
You don't need economics to study economics at university level.
As for which path to take, picture yourself doing each of those and see which one you prefer.
Both pay very well, but if you are truly interested in economics then maybe you will get a higher job than say medicine.
Don't just choose something based on the earning because
1. its not 100% guaranteed
2. you have to do it for your entire life so pick wisely
Medicine can be very hard work - firstly the degree is longer than most degrees and after you graduate, you will still have to work long hours and sometimes be on call. If you enjoy it and have a passion for helping people, go for it. If you are only in it for the money, you will find it very hard to get through it.

Businesses can make a lot of money, but it depends on the nature of the market and the nature of your business. If you have a good product, work hard and sometimes with a little luck, you can make a lot of profit.

Have you considered anything like accounting or banking?
Original post by cheesecakelove
Medicine can be very hard work - firstly the degree is longer than most degrees and after you graduate, you will still have to work long hours and sometimes be on call. If you enjoy it and have a passion for helping people, go for it. If you are only in it for the money, you will find it very hard to get through it.

Businesses can make a lot of money, but it depends on the nature of the market and the nature of your business. If you have a good product, work hard and sometimes with a little luck, you can make a lot of profit.

Have you considered anything like accounting or banking?

I have not looked too much into accounting or banking. Also, I'm not shy of work. I am very persistent :P
Original post by Party-P3opl3-9
I have not looked too much into accounting or banking. Also, I'm not shy of work. I am very persistent :P

Good to hear! Accounting and banking can lead to good salaries depending on how you progress. Again you need a great deal of interest to stick with it.

Also, have you considered dentistry? My friends who took dentistry considered it to be a better work/life balance than medicine, but I am not sure how true it is.
Original post by cheesecakelove
Good to hear! Accounting and banking can lead to good salaries depending on how you progress. Again you need a great deal of interest to stick with it.

Also, have you considered dentistry? My friends who took dentistry considered it to be a better work/life balance than medicine, but I am not sure how true it is.

I don't think teeth are as interesting as the brain :P

Accounting is mainly maths isn't it? Which is good because I'm taking further maths and physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending