The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Tips on Personal Statement

BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing

So, I've been given less than 3 weeks to write my personal statement (I know), and with no help at all... I don't know if I'm going in the right direction?! I feel like it's not... academic enough. Is it wrong to give examples to support my points? Or do I have to stick to the basic, "I want to do this because..." ,"I'm suitable because..."
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ri.tatexo
So, I've been given less than 3 weeks to write my personal statement (I know), and with no help at all... I don't know if I'm going in the right direction?! I feel like it's not... academic enough.

This is quite a general question you're asking but I'd always point people towards this great video which helped me a lot.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
This is quite a general question you're asking but I'd always point people towards this great video which helped me a lot.

I'm only 11 minutes into the video and I've almost completely rewritten the first half! Thank you so much!
I'm only 11 minutes into the video and I've almost completely rewritten the first half! Thank you so much!

Glad it helped :smile:
BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing

So, I've been given less than 3 weeks to write my personal statement (I know), and with no help at all... I don't know if I'm going in the right direction?! I feel like it's not... academic enough. Is it wrong to give examples to support my points? Or do I have to stick to the basic, "I want to do this because..." ,"I'm suitable because..."

Just checking, where are you applying? You've posted this in the Open University forum, but one doesn't apply to the OU (you just register), and they don't ask for or expect a personal statement.
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
Just checking, where are you applying? You've posted this in the Open University forum, but one doesn't apply to the OU (you just register), and they don't ask for or expect a personal statement.

I'm "applying" to the OU, I was given an application guidance booklet and I have to write a personal statement, a short essay/discussion task, too.
I'm "applying" to the OU, I was given an application guidance booklet and I have to write a personal statement, a short essay/discussion task, too.

Really? That's odd, perhaps it's a specific to Nursing because I didn't need to 'apply' and I don't know any other OU student who did. I guess you learn something new everyday. In that case, I would also point you in the direction of the Nursing PS guide (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Nursing_and_Allied_Health_Personal_Statement_Guidance) and the PS library where you can read old statements to get an idea of how to structure them / what to say: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16009-nursing-personal-statements

Quick Reply

Latest