The Student Room Group

Cie A level English literature

Which books are you people studying? I Haven't chosen any yet. Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Khadj78
Which books are you people studying? I Haven't chosen any yet. Any suggestions?

I'm doing The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, Robert Frost Selected Poems, Twelfth Night and I haven't decided on the second play. Is your subject code 9695?
Reply 2
Original post by W_sohail
I'm doing The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, Robert Frost Selected Poems, Twelfth Night and I haven't decided on the second play. Is your subject code 9695?

Yes it is. I've chosen twelfth night and Richard II, stories of ourselves and songs of ourselves
Original post by Khadj78
Yes it is. I've chosen twelfth night and Richard II, stories of ourselves and songs of ourselves

Are you giving all 4 papers in 2018?
Reply 4
Are you giving all 4 papers in 2018?

No just started recently and thought I'd give all in 2019 but do you think it's better to AS level first?
Original post by Khadj78
No just started recently and thought I'd give all in 2019 but do you think it's better to AS level first?

That's what I'm doing. I think it's better to divide the total syllabus into two years. This way, there's a year each for the four texts and less content to remember at A2. If you decide to give them all in 2019, keep in mind that you'll have eight set of texts (including multiple poems) that you'll have to go through all at once. I don't think I'd be able to handle that.
Reply 6
That's what I'm doing. I think it's better to divide the total syllabus into two years. This way, there's a year each for the four texts and less content to remember at A2. If you decide to give them all in 2019, keep in mind that you'll have eight set of texts (including multiple poems) that you'll have to go through all at once. I don't think I'd be able to handle that.

You have a point,I'll think about it now I guess.What other subjects are you doing?
Original post by Khadj78
You have a point,I'll think about it now I guess.What other subjects are you doing?

Maths, Economics & Accounting. Wbu?
Reply 8
Maths, Economics & Accounting. Wbu?

Psychology and sociology
I'm doing Stories of Ourselves (prose) , Songs of Ourselves (poetry) , and Philadelphia, Here I come by Brien Friel + Anowa and The Dilemma of a ghost by Ama Ata Aidoo. (Drama)
I actually have my AS exam on 6 and 8 November.
Reply 10
Original post by aymen2000
I'm doing Stories of Ourselves (prose) , Songs of Ourselves (poetry) , and Philadelphia, Here I come by Brien Friel + Anowa and The Dilemma of a ghost by Ama Ata Aidoo. (Drama)

Ohh good luckkkk!! Du have any tips? I'm doing a levels privately so it would help a lot if you have anything that could help
Original post by Khadj78
Ohh good luckkkk!! Du have any tips? I'm doing a privately so it would help a lot if you have anything that could help

Thank you!! I'm private as well!! And I chose stories of ourselves as they were all short stories and I couldn't really stay focused on a whole novel.
Basically I made notes for each story which consisted of themes, characters, important quotes ( You need to remember the quotes) , settings, tone and conflict.
Then I combined it all together and wrote an essay. I found questions online.

It took alot of research but i found the resources I needed online to help me find the analysis of all the stories and poems so those helped very much.
Btw where r u from?
Reply 12
Thank you!! I'm private as well!! And I chose stories of ourselves as they were all short stories and I couldn't really stay focused on a whole novel.
Basically I made notes for each story which consisted of themes, characters, important quotes ( You need to remember the quotes) , settings, tone and conflict.
Then I combined it all together and wrote an essay. I found questions online.

It took alot of research but i found the resources I needed online to help me find the analysis of all the stories and poems so those helped very much.
Btw where r u from?

Ohh if u don't mind could you mention some websites you used for the resources it would be very helpful. I'm from uk but currently living in Pakistan,how about you?. 😊
Original post by Khadj78
Ohh if u don't mind could you mention some websites you used for the resources it would be very helpful. I'm from uk but currently living in Pakistan,how about you?. 😊

What a coincidence!! i'm also in Pakistan but I was born in the States. I live in Rawalpindi wbu?

I used cieliterature.com for the poetry, it has in depth analysis for all the Songs of Ourselves poems.
The set texts for the exams are on the syllabus so for the short stories I just typed the name of the story with analysis and many websites came up.
Youtube also has some analysis videos if you type the story name in the search bar.

And if you choose Shakespeare for drama then there are alot of websites to help such as Sparknotes (this is the best one out there) or Shmoop.
Also, download the learners guide for 9695 on the CIE website, it helps know how to revise.
Reply 14
What a coincidence!! i'm also in Pakistan but I was born in the States. I live in Rawalpindi wbu?

I used cieliterature.com for the poetry, it has in depth analysis for all the Songs of Ourselves poems.
The set texts for the exams are on the syllabus so for the short stories I just typed the name of the story with analysis and many websites came up.
Youtube also has some analysis videos if you type the story name in the search bar.

And if you choose Shakespeare for drama then there are alot of websites to help such as Sparknotes (this is the best one out there) or Shmoop.
Also, download the learners guide for 9695 on the CIE website, it helps know how to revise.

I live in Lahore....and thank you so much!!!!
Does anyone do English Language A level CIE?

I did Philadelphia, here I come as well. Such a good play but was so annoying to do since there were virtually no online sources on it so had to completely rely on my own and class interpretation.
Original post by nonono12
Does anyone do English Language A level CIE?

here I'm...
I ought to be E.M Forster (Howard's end)
Original post by Khadj78

Hey, can you link any resources for Richard ii?
Reply 19
hi ! im doing
- robert frost (selected poems)
- twelfth night - shakespeare
- henry iv - shakespeare

im also still trying to decide on whether i should do small island - andrea levy or howards end - e.m forster (any advice would be appreciated !)

im writing my as levels this feb and im honestly so nervous, it would be great to talk to someone who's doing any of the same books
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending