The Student Room Group

How hard would it be to do a level physics without a level maths?

Hi, so i'd like to be a doctor in the future and i'm planning on doing biology, chemistry and physics at a level but today in my physics lesson, my teacher told us that 90% of the a level physics students also do maths and that those who dont do maths have to attend extra lessons. If this is the case, am i better off doing maths instead of physics? Does anybody do physics and not maths and how difficult are you finding it?? Thank you for any replies

Scroll to see replies

I know a few people that do biology, chemistry and physics that are doing fine without maths. However, from experience, taking maths definitely helps- but only for working with radians and the mechanics sections.

As long as you put the extra work in to make sure you can do all of the calculations and understand the maths behind physics, you should be fine without a maths a-level.
From what i remember in A level physics all the maths you need include rearranging equations, some trigonometry/pythagorus and using equations. That is from AQA physics first year of A levels. The maths is sometimes complicated, but not in knowledge of maths but application. In my school majority of physics students took further maths and I took regular maths. It definitely helps. I'd say just follow what you want to do, the extra classes are likely to be enough to help you. Physics is also very difficult, and not needed for medicine so its up to you.
Original post by Ellasimpson_
Hi, so i'd like to be a doctor in the future and i'm planning on doing biology, chemistry and physics at a level but today in my physics lesson, my teacher told us that 90% of the a level physics students also do maths and that those who dont do maths have to attend extra lessons. If this is the case, am i better off doing maths instead of physics? Does anybody do physics and not maths and how difficult are you finding it?? Thank you for any replies

So far in my class, some people who are also doing Maths struggled with Physics in the first few weeks and already dropped it, whereas there is also some in my class (including me) who have found it fine so far. I think the course has now been designed to assume that you haven’t taken A-Level Maths. Those who do Maths will have the advantage of practice so just make sure to practice in your spare time
The course does not assume that you have studied A-level Maths.
Original post by callanokanex
I know a few people that do biology, chemistry and physics that are doing fine without maths. However, from experience, taking maths definitely helps- but only for working with radians and the mechanics sections.

As long as you put the extra work in to make sure you can do all of the calculations and understand the maths behind physics, you should be fine without a maths a-level.

Okay thank you!! So is there only a few topics with particularly difficult maths?
Original post by Hussain A
From what i remember in A level physics all the maths you need include rearranging equations, some trigonometry/pythagorus and using equations. That is from AQA physics first year of A levels. The maths is sometimes complicated, but not in knowledge of maths but application. In my school majority of physics students took further maths and I took regular maths. It definitely helps. I'd say just follow what you want to do, the extra classes are likely to be enough to help you. Physics is also very difficult, and not needed for medicine so its up to you.

I enjoy physics and would rather take it than maths i just was unsure if it would be too much extra work without maths. Thank you for your help!
Original post by Fonzworth
So far in my class, some people who are also doing Maths struggled with Physics in the first few weeks and already dropped it, whereas there is also some in my class (including me) who have found it fine so far. I think the course has now been designed to assume that you haven’t taken A-Level Maths. Those who do Maths will have the advantage of practice so just make sure to practice in your spare time

So maths is just an advantage and not a necessity? Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by _gcx
The course does not assume that you have studied A-level Maths.

That's a good point actually! They are separate subjects i guess.. thank you!
Reply 9
Correlation does not imply causation. Just because people who do A Level maths tend to do better in A Level physics, it's not necessarily because they do A Level maths.
I got into medicine I did it at AS and then dropped it at A2 (without maths). Got a B. If I could go back I would do psychology or something easier lol, i didn't enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alow
Correlation does not imply causation. Just because people who do A Level maths tend to do better in A Level physics, it's not necessarily because they do A Level maths.

Okay, so you think i could still do well without a level maths if i worked hard
I think it is quite possible to get through the first year without A level maths, but in the second year (especially if you want a decent grade, which you definitely will for what you want to do) then you probably will struggle without maths for the second year; calculus helps you understand some of the concepts in physics and understanding differentiation and integration can really help you understand physics work. And of course mechanics in A Level maths will pretty much go hand in hand with the mechanics in A Level physics, I recommend you do maths

Isn’t maths a requirement for medicine?
Additionally to my post above you will have to work with logarithms and exponentials in electric fields and radioactivity, so without doing maths you will being having to do a fair bit of extra maths work to catch up if you choose not to do maths
Original post by 12ksmith
Isn’t maths a requirement for medicine?

No, only chemistry is a set requirement and another science but most applicants do chem, bio and maths or physics :smile:
No, only chemistry is a set requirement and another science but most applicants do chem, bio and maths or physics :smile:

Oh, the unis that I have looked at also wanted maths. I’m currently doing all of the above at AS. I think physics is doable without maths but it’s gonna be hard.

I know you want to do medicine, but say you change your mind. You won’t be able to a physics degree as you don’t have maths.

Anyway, I hope it all works out for you :smile:
Okay thank you!! So is there only a few topics with particularly difficult maths?

I think for the mechanics section can be quite tricky however, you will be taught the methods in physics and as long as you know how to apply them, you will be fine!

The mechanics that I got taught in maths was pretty identical to the way it got taught in physics so not having maths won’t disadvantage you! It may just mean when you do some of the mechanics section, those that take maths may already know how to do the question!
Original post by callanokanex
I think for the mechanics section can be quite tricky however, you will be taught the methods in physics and as long as you know how to apply them, you will be fine!

The mechanics that I got taught in maths was pretty identical to the way it got taught in physics so not having maths won’t disadvantage you! It may just mean when you do some of the mechanics section, those that take maths may already know how to do the question!

Okay great if physics get taught it anyway! i guess its just extra practice for the people who do maths then!
Okay great if physics get taught it anyway! i guess its just extra practice for the people who do maths then!

Pretty much! I wouldn’t worry too much!

Just ask if you need any help with the maths based physics!

Quick Reply

Latest