The Student Room Group

Cheating

My boyfriend of 3 years and 7 months went to a concert and ended up dancing with another girl and making out with her. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have advice
Why did he say he did it?
Reply 2
Because he is extremely honest with me and regretted it right after
Reply 3
He also said he he doesn't have a reason
Break up with him.

He cheated. Cheaters never get a second chance. His loss.

Original post by Ntingle16
My boyfriend of 3 years and 7 months went to a concert and ended up dancing with another girl and making out with her. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have advice
Do what you think is right, the question is can you trust him again?
3 years and 7 months SHEESH
Reply 7
Without a blow-by-blow account of your relationship these past four-odd years, no-one here is sufficiently qualified to judge the best recourse.
Original post by Profesh
Without a blow-by-blow account of your relationship these past four-odd years, no-one here is sufficiently qualified to judge the best recourse.

What is your personal policy on cheating?
Reply 9
Original post by Lepidolite
What is your personal policy on cheating?

I've never been cheated upon—to my knowledge—but from my (mercifully infrequent) experiences as the 'other man', am very much inclined towards the view that a significant proportion of the populace seem entirely too content to vilify those who commit acts of infidelity without making even a cursory attempt to first empathise with their circumstances.

Consequently, while it's fair to say that cheating remains the utmost violation of marital trust in any scenario, I only hope that my judgment would not become so profoundly jaded by such an experience as to preclude compassion and critical self-examination, however irremediable—or ultimately, unforgivable—the original transgression.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
I've never been cheated upon—to my knowledge—but from my (mercifully infrequent) experiences as the 'other man', am very much inclined towards the view that a significant proportion of the populace seem entirely too content to vilify those who commit acts of infidelity without making even a cursory attempt to first empathise with their circumstances.

Consequently, while it's fair to say that cheating remains the utmost violation of marital trust in any scenario, I only hope that my judgment would not become so profoundly jaded by such an experience as to preclude compassion and critical self-examination, whatever the ultimate verdict.

I see. So you would forgive and be fairly chill with it? Would I be correct in assuming you'd be chill with cheating on your partner too?
Original post by Profesh

Consequently, while it's fair to say that cheating remains the utmost violation of marital trust in any scenario, I only hope that my judgment would not become so profoundly jaded by such an experience as to preclude compassion and critical self-examination, however irremediable—or ultimately, unforgivable—the original transgression.

I see you edited your post. Would it change if you weren't married to them and were 'just' in a relationship?
I see. So you would forgive and be fairly chill with it? Would I be correct in assuming you'd be chill with cheating on your partner too?

No: rather, as an emotionally-grounded individual capable of complex moral reasoning and possessing a sophisticated understanding of human behaviour, I should hope that my disposition towards the possibility of forgiveness or, indeed, reconciliation—albeit nonetheless remote—would not be unduly coloured by self-loathing, narcissism, denial or similar such projections of the psyche.
Original post by Profesh
No: rather, as an emotionally-grounded individual capable of complex moral reasoning and possessing a sophisticated understanding of human behaviour, I should hope that my disposition towards the possibility of forgiveness or, indeed, reconciliation—albeit nonetheless remote—would not be unduly coloured by self-loathing, narcissism, denial or similar such projections of the psyche.

It sounds like cheating on you would be very dangerous :laugh:
I see you edited your post. Would it change if you weren't married to them and were 'just' in a relationship?

I used 'marital' colloquially to denote a committed, exclusive romantic partnership; whether that union be formal or informal is immaterial to my stance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending