The Student Room Group

Uni choices for Law?

Hi everyone!

Just looking for some advice as to whether my ucas choices are okay and not too ambitious/risky? Predicted grades are AAB (in Chemistry, Maths and History) and I'm predicted an A in a Law-related EPQ. I achieved 2A*s, 6As and 4Bs at GCSE and will have ABRSM Grade 8 in Clarinet and Music Theory (obviously not relevant to law but a friend has been told that unis like to see other high level qualifications?!).

Exeter (AAA-AAB)
Birmingham (AAA or AAB + A)
Leicester (AAB)
Royal Holloway (AAB or ABB + A)
Surrey (ABB)

Anyone have any suggestions for alternate unis if I've aimed too high? Many thanks!

Edited after offers to say that I applied to these unis and got all 5 offers. AAB from Leicester and Exeter, AAA (or AAB + EPQ A if firmed) from Birmingham, ABB + EPQ A (or unconditional if firmed) from RHUL and ABB from Surrey. Hope this is helpful!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi Bubs051213,

You haven't aimed too high at all - it's always recommended that you have a university a little above your predicted grades (Exeter/Birmingham, potentially) and a little below (Royal Holloway/Surrey). A-Levels can sometimes be a bit of a surprise in terms of what you come out with - many do better or worse than the predicted grades, so this is very sensible.

If you still feel uneasy, it might be worth having a BBB university to be on the safe side - Buckingham Uni, for example, asks for BBB.

If you want some more information about Choosing Between Law Universities & Law Degrees, we've written an article all about it!

Hope this helps!

The Lawyer Portal
Original post by The Lawyer Portal
Hi Bubs051213,

You haven't aimed too high at all - it's always recommended that you have a university a little above your predicted grades (Exeter/Birmingham, potentially) and a little below (Royal Holloway/Surrey). A-Levels can sometimes be a bit of a surprise in terms of what you come out with - many do better or worse than the predicted grades, so this is very sensible.

If you still feel uneasy, it might be worth having a BBB university to be on the safe side - Buckingham Uni, for example, asks for BBB.

If you want some more information about Choosing Between Law Universities & Law Degrees, we've written an article all about it!

Hope this helps!

The Lawyer Portal

Where is Royal Holloway ranked because I am struggling to find it and do you think it'd be sensible to apply for all these universities except Birmingham if you are predicted ABB?
Original post by dannydevil117
Where is Royal Holloway ranked because I am struggling to find it and do you think it'd be sensible to apply for all these universities except Birmingham if you are predicted ABB?

RHUL is a relatively new course. As such, it does not provide data to be ranked.

With ABB you'll likely still get offers. It is about whether you stand a chance of meeting those offers.
Reply 4
Original post by The Lawyer Portal
Hi Bubs051213,

Hope this helps!

The Lawyer Portal

Many thanks for your help, you've really put my mind at ease!
Original post by dannydevil117

If you're predicted ABB, chances are that you're going to meet ABB and should therefore apply to these universities. It's just also important to apply to universities above and below your predicted grades as a decent back-up in case you do better or worse than expected. That would be the sensible thing to do :smile:

The Lawyer Portal
Original post by Bubs051213
Many thanks for your help, you've really put my mind at ease!

You're very welcome! Let me know if you have any further questions and please do visit our website for more great advice!

The Lawyer Portal
Hi everyone!

Just looking for some advice as to whether my ucas choices are okay and not too ambitious/risky? Predicted grades are AAB (in Chemistry, Maths and History) and I'm predicted an A in a Law-related EPQ. I achieved 2A*s, 6As and 4Bs at GCSE and will have ABRSM Grade 8 in Clarinet and Music Theory (obviously not relevant to law but a friend has been told that unis like to see other high level qualifications?!).

Exeter (AAA-AAB)
Birmingham (AAA or AAB + A)
Leicester (AAB)
Royal Holloway (AAB or ABB + A)
Surrey (ABB)

Anyone have any suggestions for alternate unis if I've aimed too high? Many thanks!

Birmingham are very likely to accept you if you end up getting ABB. they may even accept you with BBB / ABC (i knew people on the course with ABB and less). that said they may still make you an 'offer' of AAA or AAB, even though they know they'll accept less.

exeter as far as I know are more strict than birmingham.
Reply 8
Original post by woodchuck
Birmingham are very likely to accept you if you end up getting ABB. they may even accept you with BBB / ABC (i knew people on the course with ABB and less). that said they may still make you an 'offer' of AAA or AAB, even though they know they'll accept less.

Thank you very much, that's really reassuring! I'm desperately hoping for an Exeter offer (as I adored everything about the university) but I'd be almost as happy to go to Birmingham so it's really useful to know that they're a bit more lenient. Many thanks!
Thank you very much, that's really reassuring! I'm desperately hoping for an Exeter offer (as I adored everything about the university) but I'd be almost as happy to go to Birmingham so it's really useful to know that they're a bit more lenient. Many thanks!

no problem - i applied with AAB (already achieved) to exeter and got rejected.

piece of advice - i'd apply to 5 high quality universities as you are likely to get at least 2 offers with AAB. the likes of leicester and surrey are very likely to be in clearing anyway. it just means you risk not getting the accommodation of your choice if you end up in clearing.

i suppose part of this depends on which subjects you are doing at A Level - if you are doing maths or sciences there is always a small chance you have a 'mare on one exam that drags you down - less so with history / english etc. good luck :smile:

Exeter gives out offers like candy, something like 90% of applicants receive an offer. But as the other poster noted, they have such numbers of viable candidates, they are unwilling to move on their entry requirements. Most people at Exeter have AAA+ grades.
no problem - i applied with AAB (already achieved) to exeter and got rejected.

piece of advice - i'd apply to 5 high quality universities as you are likely to get at least 2 offers with AAB. the likes of leicester and surrey are very likely to be in clearing anyway. it just means you risk not getting the accommodation of your choice if you end up in clearing.

i suppose part of this depends on which subjects you are doing at A Level - if you are doing maths or sciences there is always a small chance you have a 'mare on one exam that drags you down - less so with history / english etc. good luck :smile:

I was considering making another AAA application but my college won't let me. My tutor point blank refused to sign off my UCAS application with 3 high choices so unfortunately I can't!
Original post by JohnGreek
Your teacher is an idiot. Make sure you tell her that on your graduation day. She shouldn't be vetoing decisions made by people more informed than her.

Exeter won't take you with AAB, but the others will.

Her argument is that she's done this more times then I have which, after all, is a fair point. Just highly irritating. Do you honestly think I have any hope of an offer of AAA from Exeter?
Original post by JohnGreek
You won't, not least because they try to maintain a level of respectability with their grades. I've always found Exeter to be on that particularly slim margin between "we were good once and have lots of posh white kids who meet Citylaw minimum grade requirements", and the "we can't afford to be that selective these days so we'll take you with AAB". I suspect that, bar them cocking up their admissions (and giving out more places than they need), they'll be keeping their offeree grades at or above AAA.

Doesn't hurt to apply though! You'll be sitting the LNAT anyway, and the P.S. will be identical to that needed for the other four unis.

Um I'm not sitting the LNAT as they don't require it? But yes, I loved it so much that'll I'll take the risk and there's a small possibility I'll qualify for contextual offers.

Do you have any idea on other Universities which would accept AAB which are highly ranked for example Sheffield say AAA but ABB students have been accepted before

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending