The Student Room Group

Does maths count as a science at uni?

If a course requires biology and another science a-level at uni. Is maths counted in this or would it have to be physics or chemistry.
Today I learned maths can count as a science subject
(edited 6 years ago)
The best thing to do is contact the admissions tutor for a specific uni. From my own experience, maths tends be counted as a second science.
Original post by Emmiassa
Please tell me you're trolling.

Maths is not a bloody science maths is maths.

I think you’ll find many unis count mathematics as a second science when they request a 2 sciences to be taken to a level (check with the university though because some may not count it.) So get your facts straight before you post 😂
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Please tell me you're trolling.

Maths is not a bloody science maths is maths.
. I’m talking about requirements to enter a course e.g. medicine requires chem and one other science a-level, a certain unis maths is counted at as another science - I wanted to know which ones
Reply 5
Original post by amjam441
The best thing to do is contact the admissions tutor for a specific uni. From my own experience, maths tends be counted as a second science.

Will do, thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by EmilySarah00
I think you’ll find many unis count mathematics as a second science when they request a 2 sciences to be taken to a level (check with the university though because some may not count it.) So get your facts straight before you post 😂

Thank you! I knew I hadn’t dreamt that maths counted as a science lmao 😂
Original post by beekydog
. I’m talking about requirements to enter a course e.g. medicine requires chem and one other science a-level, a certain unis maths is counted at as another science - I wanted to know which ones

My bad I thought you were asking if maths was a 'pure' science.

Today I learned maths can be counted as a science
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
My bad I thought you were asking if maths was a science.

Today I learned maths can be counted as a science when applying to uni

Its fine, I should’ve been more clear 👍🏻
Its fine, I should’ve been more clear <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:27.083333333333336% 2.0833333333333335%;background-size:4900%" data-codepoints="1f44d-1f3fb"></span></span>

Spoiler

I think your best bet would be to email or ring them just in case. I know some universities count geography and psychology as a science but some don't so it depends.

So I'm guessing the same thing would apply for maths.
(edited 6 years ago)
It depends on whether the uni has said "science" or "lab-based science". Best to check with them though.
Reply 11
I think your best bet would be to email or ring them just in case. I know some universities count geography and psychology as a science but some don't so it depends.

Yeah, I think I will do. Thanks, I didn’t even consider psychology or geography:smile:
If a course requires biology and another science a-level at uni. Is maths counted in this or would it have to be physics or chemistry.

They will generally define what they count as a science A-Level but I don't think I've ever seen a case where they haven't accepted Maths as a science.
Plenty of uni courses consider Maths as a "science" subject when applying with A-levels.

If talking more generally, then the "STEM" phrase defines science and maths as separate. Which they are, but i'd say both of them have a pretty close relationship.
Reply 14
Thanks everyone!
i mean to be honest mathematics itself is a science

Quick Reply

Latest