The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Aberdeen Applicants + Freshers 2018

There's no thread for Aberdeen applicants just yet, and I'm curious to see who else is applying! (:

Name: Erin
Course: Neuroscience with Psychology
Predicted grades: 8 on the Dutch VWO, which I think is similar to AAB
Also applying for: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee (because no tuition in scotland ay)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hysterria
There's no thread for Aberdeen applicants just yet, and I'm curious to see who else is applying! (:

Name: Erin
Course: Neuroscience with Psychology
Predicted grades: 8 on the Dutch VWO, which I think is similar to AAB
Also applying for: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee (because no tuition in scotland ay)

Thanks for starting the thread :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Name : Zsolti
Course : History
Predicted grades: different than uk
Reply 3
Original post by Zsolti
Name : Zsolti
Course : History
Predicted grades: different than uk

Yay, another EU student! Have you already started your ucas application?
Reply 4
No Im not started yet :frown: But i started writing the personal statement
Reply 5
Name: sal
Course: International relations and legal studies
Grades: Different
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi everyone! Glad to see other EU students Name: Ilaria
Course: Medicine
Grades: different than uk ones
Hiya!
I am the current Welfare Officer at the University of Aberdeen. Feel free to ask me any questions, and if I cannot help you, I may be able to direct you where to go!
x Kendall
Reply 8
Original post by KennyABDN
Hiya!
I am the current Welfare Officer at the University of Aberdeen. Feel free to ask me any questions, and if I cannot help you, I may be able to direct you where to go!
x Kendall

Hi I was just wondering if I applied at the end of October how long would it take to get a offer (or not)? I'm also an international student from the US applying for international relations and legal studies!
Name: Justin
Course: Law
Predicted grades: difficult to tell-think I meet requirements already for unconditional.

Also applying for Dundee, Edinburgh and Strathclyde.
Original post by AsIf...
Hi I was just wondering if I applied at the end of October how long would it take to get a offer (or not)? I'm also an international student from the US applying for international relations and legal studies!

Aberdeen Uni has a reputation of sending offers out earlier than other universities in many cases. Many people who submit their applications around the Oxbridge deadlines receive offers in January. The type of offer and when you receive it will depend a bit on the qualifications you've received so far.

For example:
I'm from the US, applied in October 2012 for 2013. I was due to finish an Associate's degree in June. I received an unconditional offer in January of 2013 for 1st year entry (based off of my high school marks), and a conditional offer for 2nd year entry that relied on my Associate Degree completion.
Reply 11
Name: Nimaj
Course: Law with English Law
Grades: different than UK ones
Hiya!
x Kendall

Hello, I'm currently looking to do the MA in Gaelic Studies and History. I've seen that the entry requirements are BBB but my college qualifications are all over the place, I got 1 A Level - D, 2 AS Levels - E and A, BTEC Certificate - Merit, BTEC 90-Credit - DM, I've added the UCAS points and they add up the same as BBB. I am currently in my 3rd year of another degree which I have decided isn't for me but I think its still best to complete it.
What are my chances of getting in since I don't have BBB but will have another completed BSc?
Original post by ShaunaSw
Hello, I'm currently looking to do the MA in Gaelic Studies and History. I've seen that the entry requirements are BBB but my college qualifications are all over the place, I got 1 A Level - D, 2 AS Levels - E and A, BTEC Certificate - Merit, BTEC 90-Credit - DM, I've added the UCAS points and they add up the same as BBB. I am currently in my 3rd year of another degree which I have decided isn't for me but I think its still best to complete it.
What are my chances of getting in since I don't have BBB but will have another completed BSc?

I cannot advise specifically whether your application will be successful or not, but the Aberdeen Uni admissions staff consider your whole application, especially if you do not have the typical circumstances. Additionally, the admissions team will always emphasise your highest achievements when considering your application. What you could do is email our Education Officer.
Sometimes there are things you can add to your personal statement that will help the admissions team make a positive decision :smile:
I cannot advise specifically whether your application will be successful or not, but the Aberdeen Uni admissions staff consider your whole application, especially if you do not have the typical circumstances. Additionally, the admissions team will always emphasise your highest achievements when considering your application. What you could do is email our Education Officer.
Sometimes there are things you can add to your personal statement that will help the admissions team make a positive decision :smile:

ok thanks :smile:
heyy.

applying for French
Daisy
Predicted grades BBB
from england!!!!
Hi, I'm a first year at Aberdeen Uni. Just gonna give all you EU students a heads up - the weather is crap. I didn't realise just how many foreign students there are at Aberdeen Uni till I came here I feel so sorry for the people who have come from the hot beaches of California etc to this hahaha. However, the uni is a good uni with a nice campus and amazing library. I was born in Aberdeen and have lived here all my life and the city is quite boring but as you'll be coming for the first time I'm sure you won't find it as boring as I do although you will run out of things to do fairly fast. When I applied I sent my application in early December and got my offer in mid/late January. Most universities in Scotland will reply to you within 2 months. Good luck with your applications and feel free to ask me any questions :smile:
What course do you do and what is it like?
Original post by ineedtostudy
What course do you do and what is it like?

I study Mechanical Engineering. To be honest I'm finding it quite boring so far but that may be because one of the core modules is electronics (hate electronics with a passion even at school I hated it). That's just me personally though Aberdeen Uni is world renowned especially for engineering it may just be that engineering isn't for me.

The University itself is really nice though the campus looks a bit like Hogwarts haha and we have one of the best libraries in the world. There's also a sports village on campus where you can play pretty much any sport; Football, tennis, squash, table tennis, basketball, athletics, olympic standard swimming pool, you name it and of course students get discount on mememberships there. And there's Wi-Fi all over campus pretty much anywhere you go.

There's loads of societies and clubs to join too there's even one where every year they build a race car and at the end of the year take it down to Silverstone and race against other universities from all over the world and anyone can join no matter what you study or what year you are in. It's called TAU Racing if you are interested in finding out more but yeah there is literally a society for pretty much anything.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Unknown-99
Hi, I'm a first year at Aberdeen Uni. Just gonna give all you EU students a heads up - the weather is crap. I didn't realise just how many foreign students there are at Aberdeen Uni till I came here I feel so sorry for the people who have come from the hot beaches of California etc to this hahaha. However, the uni is a good uni with a nice campus and amazing library. I was born in Aberdeen and have lived here all my life and the city is quite boring but as you'll be coming for the first time I'm sure you won't find it as boring as I do although you will run out of things to do fairly fast. When I applied I sent my application in early December and got my offer in mid/late January. Most universities in Scotland will reply to you within 2 months. Good luck with your applications and feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

Hi, I'll be visiting Aberdeen soon and was just wondering whether you know what things to do in the city/in the area? Like nice buildings or fun activities? Also a good place to eat?

I'm getting kinda worried about the weather now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending