The Student Room Group

Grades for medicine

I'm confused as to whether to work towards applying to medicine because i'm unsure if my grades are good enough. i'm in first year of AS and i'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Core Maths/Mathematical Studies (which isn't a full A level) alongside the EPQ.
In GCSE's I achieved 2A*'s 7A's and 2B's.
If my UKCAT and AS grades are good then should i consider applying even though most people applying for medicine are doing A level maths and have 5A*+ ????
Also if you're considering applying leave your grades below & which med schools you're applying to &i any questions you have that i might be able to help with.
Thanks for reading.
xxx <3
Reply 1
Original post by fii_xox
I'm confused as to whether to work towards applying to medicine because i'm unsure if my grades are good enough. i'm in first year of AS and i'm doing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Core Maths/Mathematical Studies (which isn't a full A level) alongside the EPQ.
In GCSE's I achieved 2A*'s 7A's and 2B's.
If my UKCAT and AS grades are good then should i consider applying even though most people applying for medicine are doing A level maths and have 5A*+ ????
Also if you're considering applying leave your grades below & which med schools you're applying to &i any questions you have that i might be able to help with.
Thanks for reading.
xxx <3

If you know you want to study medicine then go for it! This whole 10 A* at GCSE is a myth and don't let people put you off. My GCSE grades were very similar to yourself and I was constantly told that I had no chance of getting into medicine. The key to getting into medicine is applying towards your strengths. Obviously, you're at the early stages and you don't have UKCAT/A levels under your belt yet. Just ensure you get predicted AAA or higher for A-level depending on where you would like to apply.

Good luck!
Original post by 06shawm
If you know you want to study medicine then go for it! This whole 10 A* at GCSE is a myth and don't let people put you off. My GCSE grades were very similar to yourself and I was constantly told that I had no chance of getting into medicine. The key to getting into medicine is applying towards your strengths. Obviously, you're at the early stages and you don't have UKCAT/A levels under your belt yet. Just ensure you get predicted AAA or higher for A-level depending on where you would like to apply.

Good luck!

What university do you go to?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous1502
What university do you go to?

Final year at Manchester
Original post by 06shawm
Final year at Manchester

what grades did you get at gcse and a level?
Original post by fii_xox
what grades did you get at gcse and a level?

Plenty of profiles here
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511

Quick Reply

Latest