The Student Room Group

My mum left Islam at 40 years old. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SahDude
a low blow on his behalf true, but, the guy's got a point imo. If someone follows Islam really only cos' their parents just passed it down to them in a bit of a laissez-faire manner they probs will end up shunning it at one point or another. Same with any other religion I assume. Not really necessary though from him, agree with you on that front.

You misunderstand his motivation for doing it. He didn't throw it in to make a valid intellectual point, but because the idea of it made him uncomfortable, and a passive-aggressive comment that's a very thinly-veiled sanctimonious "ha, you weren't strong enough, that's why you're no longer part of this perfect religion". I happen to be Muslim, but this is the kind of baseless superiority complex that makes me question that every day. It's true, of course, that a non-strict adherent is more likely to leave a belief system, but also true that plenty of those that were raised "properly" according to Islamic standards also leave Islam, indicating that the problem isn't always the people - but that's an uncomfortable fact far less likely to be admitted by @mc_miah.
Reply 21
Original post by mc_miah
Well then its clear ain't it. Those who aren't strong in faith in not just religion, but in anything, there faith will slowly get weaker. But anyways, what was the general reaction, say your friends, cousins and all of that jazz?

How did you come to the conclusion that my mum's faith wasn't strong? My mum's faith was very strong. She used to pray and make dua all the time for God to help her despite her bad situation not getting any better. She went through a hell of a lot and still remained faithful for years. She was even more religious than my dad who never made dua or anything like that - just prays as part of his routine. Not only that, but he didn't fast at all. When it was Ramadan and when it was only my parents living together, my mum used to make herself a very simple iftar of boiled potatoes or something and break her fast all by herself.

It was in recent years that she began learning new things about Islam and began changing her views towards it. She began to question things like the many contradictions within the Quran and why the woman had to be under the power of males - with the hijab being part of this. She also began to be aware of some of the horrible violent things written in the Quran and began questioning - is this really something God would say? She then came to the conclusion that the Quran was not the words of God AT ALL and that the Quran is a book written by a bunch of medieval guys as part of their power agenda over the people at the time, which is why you'll notice some weird irrelevant rules written in the Quran that are not at all relevant to today's day and age. Yet, people still choose to live their life by the rules of this book.

To answer your question - friends and people outside our primary family don't know about her views towards Islam. The only info they have is that she doesn't wear the hijab anymore.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by SahDude
a low blow on his behalf true, but, the guy's got a point imo. If someone follows Islam really only cos' their parents just passed it down to them in a bit of a laissez-faire manner they probs will end up shunning it at one point or another. Same with any other religion I assume. Not really necessary though from him, agree with you on that front.

Well that's pretty much the majority of Muslims ?

And even if parents do make the effort to educate their children about Islam, this would usually just be sending them to mosque school from a young age to memorise the Quran but not actually understand what is being memorised at all.
Reply 23
Anymore questions?
Original post by wonderuss
In the UK.
She's married but separated.
4 children.
I take it she converted for her husband when they married then?
Reply 25
Original post by Tootles
I take it she converted for her husband when they married then?

No, she was already Muslim

She then came to the conclusion that the Quran was not the words of God AT ALL and that the Quran is a book written by a bunch of medieval guys as part of their power agenda over the people at the time, which is why you'll notice some weird irrelevant rules written in the Quran that are not at all relevant to today's day and age.

That’s objectively not true though- by all accounts the Quran is considered a book of literature- in fact one which surpassed all others in that time. Arabic is a language known for its poetry and literature, and even those who opposed the religion at the time generally accepted it to be a work of art, and to this day it’s still considered to be one (Quranic Arabic is considered to be much more complex than traditional Arabic, which is complex in itself!). That’s just looking at it from a literature perspective, so it’s a bit naïve to call it a “book written by some medieval guys” regardless of your feelings towards the faith I’d say.
Reply 27
Original post by jam277.75
That’s objectively not true though- by all accounts the Quran is considered a book of literature- in fact one which surpassed all others in that time. Arabic is a language known for its poetry and literature, and even those who opposed the religion at the time generally accepted it to be a work of art, and to this day it’s still considered to be one (Quranic Arabic is considered to be much more complex than traditional Arabic, which is complex in itself!). That’s just looking at it from a literature perspective, so it’s a bit naïve to call it a “book written by some medieval guys” regardless of your feelings towards the faith I’d say.

Okay, then I commend the literature aspect of it. But it would be great if the content was good too.
Reply 28
It happens a lot, so don't worry, it maybe that she has grown tired and just needs a break and will come back to Islam, or that she is searching for something different.

Different religions offer different things to different people. For Islam it can be very hard on women, and maybe she wants something with a bit more freedom.

As for me I've been 3 different religions so far, and I know one OAP who has been just about every religion in the book.

As for the technical side of it, it depends if she was Baptised or the equivalent in the religion. If so then some other religions wont accept her into their midst because of it, but it entirely depends on the religion. The Baptism is the first step then confirmation, I think as long as she hasn't done the later then she is OK. Some religions except all, and don't worry about it at all.

I wouldn't worry and just give her the support she needs, as it will be a very unsettling time for her, as there must have been something to change her mind connected to Islam.
Reply 29
Original post by ClearSky II
Am I late? :redface:

You have officially been invited to QE2's second leaving Islam celebration!
The party will be held in Domino's pizza to commemorate the successful Islam-leaving of yet another Muslim.
See you there at 12PM tomorrow!
Regards, QE2.

lol what is this
Reply 30
Original post by Purdy7
It happens a lot, so don't worry, it maybe that she has grown tired and just needs a break and will come back to Islam, or that she is searching for something different.

Different religions offer different things to different people. For Islam it can be very hard on women, and maybe she wants something with a bit more freedom.

As for me I've been 3 different religions so far, and I know one OAP who has been just about every religion in the book.

As for the technical side of it, it depends if she was Baptised or the equivalent in the religion. If so then some other religions wont accept her into their midst because of it, but it entirely depends on the religion. The Baptism is the first step then confirmation, I think as long as she hasn't done the later then she is OK. Some religions except all, and don't worry about it at all.

I wouldn't worry and just give her the support she needs, as it will be a very unsettling time for her, as there must have been something to change her mind connected to Islam.

We're not worried or anything, thanks. My mum is actually really relieved that she left and feels grateful for what she's learnt.
lol what is this

It's a little joke :mmm:

The party will be held in Domino's pizza to commemorate the successful Islam-leaving of yet another Muslim.
Regards, QE2.

c r i n g e
Original post by orderofthelotus
c r i n g e

He isn't normally so cheerful which is why a lot of people think it's hilarious.
Someone tagged me here to post one :colone:

Regards, QE2.

Make sure it is not a Halal Dominos. That would be way too inappropriate...
^^

what is ama??? Translate pls xxx
Reply 36
Original post by capri101sun
what is ama??? Translate pls xxx

'ask me anything' :smile:
Are you Muslim?
Reply 38
Original post by Kai's Wife
Are you Muslim?

No