The Student Room Group

Amount of a levels?

In my school we have to do Welsh bacc which is like EPQ in Wales. It doesn't require any time out of lessons and is only 2 hours every week. Because of this should I do 4 AS levels? Currently doing chemistry economics and maths but want to add biology or replace maths with biology
Original post by Reece.W.J
In my school we have to do Welsh bacc which is like EPQ in Wales. It doesn't require any time out of lessons and is only 2 hours every week. Because of this should I do 4 AS levels? Currently doing chemistry economics and maths but want to add biology or replace maths with biology

Why would that make you want to do 4AS? I'm confused:smile:
Original post by Queenie123
Why would that make you want to do 4AS? I'm confused:smile:

Because I want to know if 4 is too much and I'm putting it into context that it's technically 5 but the other is just 2 hours a week. So is 4 manageable or should I swap maths for biology?
Because I want to know if 4 is too much and I'm putting it into context that it's technically 5 but the other is just 2 hours a week. So is 4 manageable or should I swap maths for biology?

Ah ok, I was confused because you said:
Because of this should I do 4 AS levels?

If you do 4 AS, will you continue them onto A2? I'm asking because, due to the new linear A levels, AS qualifications are worth less, so it may be better to just focus on the three subjects you want to do at A2. However, if you think you can handle 4 full A levels, then I think you can do it, and I don't think the extra two hours a week taken up by Welsh Bacc will have an impact.

What are you planning to do at uni?
Original post by Queenie123
If you do 4 AS, will you continue them onto A2? I'm asking because, due to the new linear A levels, AS qualifications are worth less, so it may be better to just focus on the three subjects you want to do at A2. However, if you think you can handle 4 full A levels, then I think you can do it, and I don't think the extra two hours a week taken up by Welsh Bacc will have an impact.

What are you planning to do at uni?

I'm in wales (WJEC) so not currently on linear courses. I will drop one going into year 13 but might drop one sooner (probably maths) not sure what I want to do but have been looking at biochemistry
I'm in wales (WJEC) so not currently on linear courses. I will drop one going into year 13 but might drop one sooner (probably maths) not sure what I want to do but have been looking at biochemistry

Ah ok, well for biochemistry, you don't need economics, so maybe you should just do: maths, biology and chemistry. That would be a strong combination and would also mean that you have more time to focus on just three subjects, resulting in better grades:smile:

Quick Reply