The Student Room Group

Study abroad travel grant flights

Hi there,

I am studying abroad in Australia and I booked a return journey here to arrive back to the UK in mid-December. I applied for the travel grant and had the cost of this return journey reimbursed (minus £303).

However, due to personal issues, I need to return to the UK earlier than expected and I am looking to change my flight to end of November/early December. As I did not purchase flexi flights, the cost to change my return journey to the UK is around £450.

My question to you is if I change my flight and pay this, can I apply for the travel grant to reimburse this cost and have it taken as one of my flights?

I am happy to forfeit one of my flights in order to do this (I believe I am allowed to apply for up to 6 single flights, or 3 return journeys). However, I do not wish to change my flight if SFE will not be happy to reimburse me for this.

Thank you!
Original post by summertor
Hi there,

I am studying abroad in Australia and I booked a return journey here to arrive back to the UK in mid-December. I applied for the travel grant and had the cost of this return journey reimbursed (minus £303).

However, due to personal issues, I need to return to the UK earlier than expected and I am looking to change my flight to end of November/early December. As I did not purchase flexi flights, the cost to change my return journey to the UK is around £450.

My question to you is if I change my flight and pay this, can I apply for the travel grant to reimburse this cost and have it taken as one of my flights?

I am happy to forfeit one of my flights in order to do this (I believe I am allowed to apply for up to 6 single flights, or 3 return journeys). However, I do not wish to change my flight if SFE will not be happy to reimburse me for this.

Thank you!

Hi summertor

I have contacted our Travel Grant Team to check this for you and will reply to you once they respond.

Thanks Rona
Reply 2
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi summertor

I have contacted our Travel Grant Team to check this for you and will reply to you once they respond.

Thanks Rona

- Great. Thanks, Rona!
- Great. Thanks, Rona!

Hi summertor

I have had a response from the travel grant team, their
advice would be to claim the cost, but provide a letter from the host university to confirm that the journey/change of flight date was unavoidable due to personal issues.

Send with your claim form and covering letter and customer reference number.

Thanks Rona
Reply 4
Do you mean that I should speak to health services and get a letter from them?I'm unsure how long this would take and the flights are getting filled up soon. Could I not just have the change of flight cost taken as one of my 6 single journeys?
Do you mean that I should speak to health services and get a letter from them?I'm unsure how long this would take and the flights are getting filled up soon. Could I not just have the change of flight cost taken as one of my 6 single journeys?

Hi summertor,

I sent your enquiry to the travel grant team, they have advised they would need this evidence.

Thanks Rona
Hi! I am doing a year abroad in Australia next year and was wondering if you managed to get transfer flights refunded through the travel grant since the flight is so long from the UK? If so were you ever able to stay in another country for a few nights in between travelling home and still get the flights refunded through the grant? Thanks
Original post by emily_kemp
Hi! I am doing a year abroad in Australia next year and was wondering if you managed to get transfer flights refunded through the travel grant since the flight is so long from the UK? If so were you ever able to stay in another country for a few nights in between travelling home and still get the flights refunded through the grant? Thanks

Hi Emily, our guidance states:

Acceptable claims may include the following:

To be eligible to claim 3 return journeys or equivalent (for example, 6 single journeys). The student will need to be in attendance at their overseas institution for at least 50% of 3 out of the 4 academic quarters (terms). If they don't meet this requirement they won't be eligible to be reimbursed for 3 return journeys.

The class and method of travel should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard economy is expected, if no hold luggage is included in the flight price we will cover the cost of 1 hold bag (general guide is up to 23KG). However if enhanced economy class flights have been purchased e.g. Economy Flex or Economy Flex Plus, we would require evidence to show that this was the only or least expensive option available at the time of booking as these fares offer additional benefits. If a student advises that they wish to purchase an Economy Flex fare (not Plus) due to not knowing their return dates they should advise this at the time of claiming for consideration

Any necessary daily travel costs while abroad for the for the purposes of attending the institution

Travel costs for the dependent children of a single student, where the students has to take children abroad with them

Childcare abroad: Will only be paid if the childcare provider is approved by the Ministry of Defence’s accreditation scheme

Travel costs associated with clinical training, where student is required to attend a hospital or other premises outside of their institution in the United Kingdom

Mileage claims

The cost of medical insurance purchased for the purpose of studying abroad (we would pay for full medical or health insurance provided by the host University as this can be a condition of acceptance for the student to attend). Please note students studying in a country with which the UK has reciprocal public health arrangements (usually within EU/EEA) can also claim for medical insurance for the purpose of studying abroad.

40% of the cost of travel insurance premium, this must include medical coverage (we would pay this as the cost of medical cover), however we would not pay this in addition to mandatory medical insurance provided by the overseas University

The cost of visas and medical tests where these are a mandatory condition of entry to the host country - this includes COVID 19 PCR tests required to enter host country and on return to UK. The cost of mandatory hotel quarantine cannot be claimed.

The cost of any vaccinations required

Anything claimed which is not on this list will be reviewed on a case be case basis by the assessor.

Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending