The Student Room Group

can i study chemical engineering without Maths and is their an alternative way?

So basically i always wanted to study chemical engineering but start of sixth form i decided that i wanted to study neurosciene but then i came to chemical engineering im in my finale year and its really bugging me i regret the fact that i did not take maths, the a levels im studying is CHEMISTRY, BIOLOGY and PSYCHOLOGY is there any way of me studying without maths.
Original post by Fa123123
So basically i always wanted to study chemical engineering but start of sixth form i decided that i wanted to study neurosciene but then i came to chemical engineering im in my finale year and its really bugging me i regret the fact that i did not take maths, the a levels im studying is CHEMISTRY, BIOLOGY and PSYCHOLOGY is there any way of me studying without maths.

Maths to A-level or equivalent is fundamental to studying engineering. Is it possible for you to take up the subject? A foundation year is another option.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Maths to A-level or equivalent is fundamental to studying engineering. Is it possible for you to take up the subject? A foundation year is another option.

Can you recommend me any universites that do foundation year? really wanted to go imperial but they do not do it.
Reply 3
Notts uni does a foundation course where you can go onto study chemical engineering after completing it
Can you recommend me any universites that do foundation year? really wanted to go imperial but they do not do it.

I don't know much about foundation years I am afraid.
Reply 5
Not without A-level maths no. There is a reason they expect you to have it, you would really struggle without (take it from a chemical engineering student). On the plus side several unis offer foundation years for those who want to study chem eng and don't have maths (manchester, nottingham, Birmingham, Aston etc). It's only an extra year and usually flies by.
Reply 6

Go through the list of universities that offer chemical engineering and then search their websites for foundation years (they're usually integrated into the degree). Apply where you think you would be best suited and have met their entry requirements.

Imperial won't let you do any engineering without maths whatsoever. full stop.

as mentioned previously, go on UCAS and search for foundation courses.
Reply 8
Hello, I am taking the exact same subjects and I am wondering what degree to pursue. What did you eventually do?

I’m in the exact same position, what did you do eventually at university. Did u foundation or did u do another course
Reply 10
Hi I do the same subjects as you did you get into the course you wanted (chemical engineering) I am in year 13 and I don’t think medicine is the uni course I want to do ?Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest