The Student Room Group

Should I drop maths?

I've just done my first month of alevels, taking biology, geography, chemistry and maths. I enjoy all these subjects but maths is getting quite difficult and I'm struggling to cope with the work load. If I drop maths, I'll gain 6 more frees and have more time for my other subjects.
My main concern is that I enjoy maths and I don't want to give it up. Also, my mum has spent £24 on the maths calculator and I'll feel guilty if I'm just going to drop it after a month.
Should I just drop maths now and see if I can sell the calculator on ebay or should I stick with it a bit longer (we have our first proper assessment after half term, should I wait and see how this goes first)?
(edited 6 years ago)
Are you aware of what you want to do in the future e.g. at University?
I would wait until your first proper assessment, because you will be able to gauge how good/ bad you are at it. Revise as you would for the rest of your subjects and see how it goes. If you do decide to drop it, I'm sure someone in the year below would find the calculator useful, as it is practically brand new. Hope this helps, and tell me how you get on
What do you want to do at uni? If you find that you want to study chemistry you'll regret dropping maths.
Original post by AverageStudent47
I've just done my first month of alevels, taking biology, geography, chemistry and maths. I enjoy all these subjects but maths is getting quite difficult and I'm struggling to cope with the work load. If I drop maths, I'll gain 6 more frees and have more time for my other subjects.
My main concern is that I enjoy maths and I don't want to give it up. Also, my mum has spent £24 on the maths calculator and I'll feel guilty if I'm just going to drop it after a month.
Should I just drop maths now and see if I can sell the calculator on ebay or should I stick with it a bit longer (we have our first proper assessment after half term, should I wait and see how this goes first)?

I'm in the exact same situation. I do economics maths and chemistry but I'm going to join and catch up on biology but might drop maths after
Original post by Reece.W.J
I'm in the exact same situation. I do economics maths and chemistry but I'm going to join and catch up on biology but might drop maths after

If you want to study econ at uni, keep maths
I'm hoping to study biology/zoology at uni so it won't matter if I don't do maths as the most I'll need are 2 sciences, which I have
Original post by maariaaaa
I would wait until your first proper assessment, because you will be able to gauge how good/ bad you are at it. Revise as you would for the rest of your subjects and see how it goes. If you do decide to drop it, I'm sure someone in the year below would find the calculator useful, as it is practically brand new. Hope this helps, and tell me how you get on

Thank you :smile: I'll see how I do in the first assessment before I do anything drastic

Quick Reply

Latest