The Student Room Group

How many Driving lessons do I need?

Hi, so basically I have booked 14 hours of driving lessons for £320 this is a lot of money lol but I feel like I need another 10 hours at least to make a total of 24 hours and that will be like £560

So yeah will 24 hours be enough to pass? I did very well on my first lesson moved, changed gears, turned indicators even went on a small roundabout but just like ever instructor he wants me to do like 80 lessons lol

Should I just do 24 hours and take the test? Won’t to pass by Christmas thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolto
Hi, so basically I have booked 14 hours of driving lessons for £320 this is a lot of money lol but I feel like I need another 10 hours at least to make a total of 24 hours and that will be like £560

So yeah will 24 hours be enough to pass? I did very well on my first lesson moved, changed gears, turned indicators even went on a small roundabout but just like ever instructor he wants me to do like 80 lessons lol

Whilst it is possible to pass with 24 hours, I think you should expect something in the region of around 35-40hours as that is the average. It’s difficult to tell how fast of a learner you are because it’s still very early on. So yeah, I would suggest budgeting for around 40hours
Reply 2
Original post by cherryred90s
Whilst it is possible to pass with 24 hours, I think you should expect something in the region of around 35-40hours as that is the average. It’s dofficult to tell how fast of a learner you are because it’s still very early on. So yeah, I would suggest budgeting for around 40hours

That will be round £1050i don’t think I have that much but I’m currently taking 4 hours a week allowing me to learn faster and remember everything, I don’t mind doing an additional 6 hours to make it 30 hours total but can’t promise that either
Original post by wolto
That will be round £1050i don’t think I have that much but I’m currently taking 4 hours a week allowing me to learn faster and remember everything, I don’t mind doing an additional 6 hours to make it 30 hours total but can’t promise that either

People spend an average of around £1500 to pass.
It just depends on how quickly you pick it up. It’s impossible to tell how many lessons you’ll need. Could be 20, could be 50. As you progress, both you and your instructor will have an idea of how many hours you’ll need, but I think it is wise to budget for the average. The last thing you want to do is cancel lessons because you’ve run out of money
Original post by wolto

My instructor said it takes on average 20 hours of lessons. It took me about 24 hours to pass second time. 80 lessons is absurd - just trying to take more of your money.
Reply 6
Original post by cherryred90s
People spend an average of around £1500 to pass.
It just depends on how quickly you pick it up. It’s impossible to tell how many lessons you’ll need. Could be 20, could be 50. As you progress, both you and your instructor will have an idea of how many hours you’ll need, but I think it is wise to budget for the average. The last thing you want to do is cancel lessons because you’ve run out of money

Ohk so spending up to £1100 won’t be bad? I could try but I can’t afford anything above this amount. Would you recommend I attempt the test after 25 hours If I feel ready. I was really confident and did most things by myself coming to the end and with 20 hours left on my profile I could watch YouTube videos and prepare myself?
Reply 7
Original post by DrawTheLine
My instructor said it takes on average 20 hours of lessons. It took me about 24 hours to pass second time. 80 lessons is absurd - just trying to take more of your money.

Yeah that would be perfect for me, I’m doing 4 hours a week making it look like intensive and I can remember everything. Total of 24 hours the cost will be good for me and how quick did you learn if I may ask?
Original post by wolto
Ohk so spending up to £1100 won’t be bad? I could try but I can’t afford anything above this amount. Would you recommend I attempt the test after 25 hours If I feel ready. I was really confident and did most things by myself coming to the end and with 20 hours left on my profile I could watch YouTube videos and prepare myself?

If that’s what you can afford then you’ll just have to work with it.

If you feel ready after 25 hours and your instructor is happy then by all means, book the test. There’s no limit to how many lessons you need to do before you book it. YeahYouTube is very helpful to prepare, it has a lot of useful tips, I used YouTube a lot.
Really depends on the person. Some people learn much quicker than others. I'd say book 20 hours in, then if you need more then book them in as needed. I booked in 35 hours and never ended up needing them all, just ended up using them cause I had time to fill between test dates.
Original post by wolto
Yeah that would be perfect for me, I’m doing 4 hours a week making it look like intensive and I can remember everything. Total of 24 hours the cost will be good for me and how quick did you learn if I may ask?

I started in June 2016 and passed my test in January 2017. I would have passed in December but a certain examiner failed me for something every driver does. Not that I'm bitter at all or anything. I had about an hour a week.
Reply 11
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Really depends on the person. Some people learn much quicker than others. I'd say book 20 hours in, then if you need more then book them in as needed. I booked in 35 hours and never ended up needing them all, just ended up using them cause I had time to fill between test dates.

I hope I pass I have 24 hours budgeted so hopefully it’s enough I bought it in blocks of 10 and 4 hours were discounted
Reply 12
I started in June 2016 and passed my test in January 2017. I would have passed in December but a certain examiner failed me for something every driver does. Not that I'm bitter at all or anything. I had about an hour a week.

How strict are the examiners? Will I pass if I decide to drive in few gears like 1 n 2 and at a good speed to help me concentrate
Original post by wolto
I hope I pass I have 24 hours budgeted so hopefully it’s enough I bought it in blocks of 10 and 4 hours were discounted

Well, hopefully, cause another test costs quite a bit and you'll also have to pay your instructor for his time during your test - so if you do an hour before and then do your test, that's two hours you're hiring your instructor for. So you're looking at £100 on each test day, really.
Original post by wolto
How strict are the examiners? Will I pass if I decide to drive in few gears like 1 n 2 and at a good speed to help me concentrate

If you're poodling along in 2nd gear on a 30mph free-flowing road then you'll get marked down for it. If you keep doing it then you might get failed for repeated faults of the same nature and also might get a serious fault for holding up traffic if there's any behind you. You shouldn't be in 2nd gear if you're going faster than 20mph, and on a 30mph road you'd be expected to be going ideally around 27-28mph.
Reply 15
Well, hopefully, cause another test costs quite a bit and you'll also have to pay your instructor for his time during your test - so if you do an hour before and then do your test, that's two hours you're hiring your instructor for. So you're looking at £100 on each test day, really.

How many days that the test take? I’m pretty sure it’s just a single day right? And yeah I wouldn’t mind paying 2 hours refresh lesson plus a two hour use of his car to take the test
Reply 16
If you're poodling along in 2nd gear on a 30mph free-flowing road then you'll get marked down for it. If you keep doing it then you might get failed for repeated faults of the same nature and also might get a serious fault for holding up traffic if there's any behind you. You shouldn't be in 2nd gear if you're going faster than 20mph, and on a 30mph road you'd be expected to be going ideally around 27-28mph.

Ohk I haven’t learnt that yet but thanks will start learning theee tips when I’m getting close to my test but yeah I will make sure I drive normal, how long does the test take?
Original post by wolto
How many days that the test take? I’m pretty sure it’s just a single day right? And yeah I wouldn’t mind paying 2 hours refresh lesson plus a two hour use of his car to take the test

Yeah, the test is in a single day, but you have to hire your instructor for two hours on test day, typically, cause by standard you'd do a warm-up hour right before the test and then you'd also be paying for your instructor to either wait at the test centre while you use their car, or sit in the back seat on your test, whichever you'd prefer. The test is typically 45 minutes long so you'd just be hiring your instructor for an hour for it.
Original post by wolto

No. If you drive in gear 2 in a 40mph road at 20mph, you'll fail because that's dangerous driving. You can be dangerous when slow.

You'll pass driving at the speed limit in the correct gear. Gear 1 for setting off, 2 for 20mph, 3 for 30mph, 4 for 40mph and 5 for 50mph and above.
Reply 19
No. If you drive in gear 2 in a 40mph road at 20mph, you'll fail because that's dangerous driving. You can be dangerous when slow.

You'll pass driving at the speed limit in the correct gear. Gear 1 for setting off, 2 for 20mph, 3 for 30mph, 4 for 40mph and 5 for 50mph and above.

Nice easy way to remember thanks last time I was on a 20mph road so that’s all I know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending