The Student Room Group

Thinking of dropping out of Computer science in 2nd year.

Pressures from my family to pick a good and respected degree, which led me to make one of the worst decisions I have made in my life. Hated this course a month starting from first year but still went at it with the hope It would change but it hasn't. This is totally my fault for succumbing to pressure and I hate myself for only looking at money.

I'm going to go to those people at uni that discuss alternative options when dropping out but I would to ask any dropouts of what my options are if I were go through with this. I was hoping to do an apprenticeship but I heard it's harder for 20 years old to apply for one(not sure). I definitely may go uni in the future but when I'm wise and know what I want to do.

Also, I would to like to ask how much money I will be owing to the government if I were to drop out now or around Christmas time as I will try to put myself through it.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zamasu
Pressures from my family to pick a good and respected degree, which led me to make one of the worst decisions I have made in my life. Hated this course a month starting from first year but still went at it with the hope It would change but it hasn't. This is totally my fault for succumbing to pressure and I hate myself for only looking at money.

I'm going to go to those people at uni that discuss alternative options when dropping out but I would to ask any dropouts of what my options are if I were go through with this. I was hoping to do an apprenticeship but I heard it's harder for 20 years old to apply for one(not sure). I definitely may go uni in the future but when I'm wise and know what I want to do.

Also, I would to like to ask how much money I will be owing to the government if I were to drop out now or around Christmas time as I will try to put myself through it.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying your course. Sounds like you'd owe a year and 25% of a year (and maintenance?) fees. If after discussing your personal tutor you still decide you want to drop out, it's better to do so sooner than later incase you decide you want to study again and use the funding.
What is it specifically about the course you dislike? Have you considered alternative, perhaps similar, courses?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
Hi, I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying your course. Sounds like you'd owe a year and 25% of a year (and maintenance?) fees. If after discussing your personal tutor you still decide you want to drop out, it's better to do so sooner than later incase you decide you want to study again and use the funding.
What is it specifically about the course you dislike? Have you considered alternative, perhaps similar, courses?

To be honest, it was just the wrong course for me. The programming/coding part of the course is what I always struggled with. I go to all office hours, attend lectures, labs and even had outside meetings with TAs to improve on my programming skill but to no avail. I'm not expecting to know everything about coding for 1 year but I should at least know how to approach a problem logically and know instantly what syntax I should use instead of relying on stack overflow. Comparing myself to other students at the course also further highlights this, I feel like I'm so far behind where everyone knows what to do and it makes me envy those who think like that.

I also don't like the deadlines the uni expects of me, endless 1 week deadlines with problems plus with me solving questions at a slower pace has made me stressed out to the max and has affected my health. I stopped going gym, grey hair growing. I will definitely still code but at my pace where I am able to balance my life stress free.
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
Damn man.. I'm so sorry to hear this. I was planning to study Software Engineering OR Law at Uni, but reading threads like these makes me doubt my choices.

As far as I'm aware, if you have completed Level 3 qualifications, then you can enrol for Advanced Apprenticeships (Which are from Level 4 - 7 if I recall correctly).

All the best to you. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Sorry to hear this.

You could study any degree with the Open University, they allow you to pay monthly payments (which don't start until November) and also you can study on a part time basis then switch to full time if you wanted to.

I also agree with the above, you could go for an advanced apprenticeship.

Good luck
Reply 6
Original post by Zamasu
I should at least know how to approach a problem logically and know instantly what syntax I should use instead of relying on stack overflow.

There's nothing wrong with having StackOverflow or the language docs open whilst working with it - even professionals can get confused with syntax especially when they program in a multitude of languages; each has a subtle (or not so subtle) difference.
Original post by Zamasu

Don't drop out. It's better to do something you hate for money than being unemployed and having no money.

Also, you realise you get paid £3.40 ph as an apprentice right? Will your parents give you money if you don't do something they support and under their roof?

I made the opposite wrong decision to you, I did something I genuinely enjoyed at uni but was basically unemployable.

If you can do it well, do it for the money.

If you're crap then it's another story.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by oldboy2007
Don't drop out. It's better to do something you hate for money than being unemployed and having no money.

Also, you realise you get paid £3.40 ph as an apprentice right? Will your parents give you money if you don't do something they support and under their roof?

I made the opposite wrong decision to you, I did something I genuinely enjoyed at uni but was basically unemployable.

Nobody is crap man. It's just that you don't like the subject or you can't cope with the modules or work related to it. Nobody certainly wants to waste a degree on something they don't like and this is what the OP is doing, he is making a sensible choice acting now rather than regretting years later.
Reply 9
I just dropped out of Durham

https://youtu.be/XZJbdxXUtks

James.
Original post by JSSB
I just dropped out of Durham

https://youtu.be/XZJbdxXUtks

James.

Oh man. Sorry to hear! What course were you studying?
Reply 11
Original post by mrwhitz
Oh man. Sorry to hear! What course were you studying?

Don't be sorry brother. I feel alive.

Maths.
Original post by JSSB
Don't be sorry brother. I feel alive.

Maths.

Ahh.. Maths is a headache. Good luck with what you're doing/what you're going to do. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by mrwhitz
Ahh.. Maths is a headache. Good luck with what you're doing/what you're going to do. :smile:

haha, true say. Cheers man,

what are you up to?
Original post by JSSB
haha, true say. Cheers man,

what are you up to?

Haha, no problem! And what am I up to right now? Hmm... looking at investing in cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin and that) to make some potential income
What have your grades been like?
Reply 16
Original post by mrwhitz
Haha, no problem! And what am I up to right now? Hmm... looking at investing in cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin and that) to make some potential income

Yo! Doesn't that require supercomputers and ****?
Reply 17
Original post by oldboy2007

I'm actually crap at it so thats the problem. Also, I have little motivation to study this course and I know this mentality will affect my grades.
Original post by JSSB
Yo! Doesn't that require supercomputers and ****?

Yeah, yeah, not for INVESTING in it though. That's something separate called MINING. Boy, is that hard and expensive. Investing is buying coins (such as Bitcoin), holding them until the prices start to go up and then sell at a good time = profit. It's a bit like exchange rates if you understand it that way, they go up and down, but in the crypto market, they either go UP UP or DOWN DOWN which means a loss. There's a huge risk involved in this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by YaliaV
What have your grades been like?

GCSE's were okay, didn't fail but not amazing. I did well at A levels by acquiring 3 As and I averaged 80% in the first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending