The Student Room Group

Forensic science masters degree entry requirements

I am wondering if my desired undergraduate degree course of "Biology and Environmental sciences" could lead me onto to a masters degree in forensic science?? I have checked on the sites of many universities but many say stuff like they will accept an undergrad degree "related to chemistry or biology" or "a science subject" but this seems quite vague. I don't want them to turn to me at the end of a three year degree and say "oh your degree can't get you into this" or "you need a Chemistry a-level..."
Please does anyone have any personal insight of the entry requirements in general???? Will most accept it as long as it is a science subject roughly relating?
Thnx
Original post by fowlere
I am wondering if my desired undergraduate degree course of "Biology and Environmental sciences" could lead me onto to a masters degree in forensic science?? I have checked on the sites of many universities but many say stuff like they will accept an undergrad degree "related to chemistry or biology" or "a science subject" but this seems quite vague. I don't want them to turn to me at the end of a three year degree and say "oh your degree can't get you into this" or "you need a Chemistry a-level..."
Please does anyone have any personal insight of the entry requirements in general???? Will most accept it as long as it is a science subject roughly relating?
Thnx

If you apply elsewhere I would suggest that the most significant factor is your degree classification (a 2:1 is usually sufficient).

I would think it likely that Biology & Env. sciences is a more than suitable science subject to enter a forensic science MSc:yep:

I also think it's great that you're thinking about this so early on.:h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
I would suggest that if you apply to a masters course at the university you study at UG level, they will judge your application based on you, not your qualifications.:yes:

If you apply elsewhere I would suggest that the most significant factor is your degree classification (a 2:1 is usually sufficient).

I would think it likely that Biology & Env. sciences is a more than suitable science subject to enter a forensic science MSc:yep:

I also think it's great that you're thinking about this so early on.:h:

thanks!! :smile: :smile:
Original post by 04MR17

Unfortunately the advice above is not completely correct.

Original post by fowlere
Thnx

Generally it's always a good idea to move unis between undergrad and postgrad especially in the sciences. Even if you do stay at your undergrad institution you will have to meet the entry requirements. They will not take you on because they like you if you don't. Some unis are very specific about what degree you need to have and a biology and environmental science one may not be sufficiently analytical. That's not to say it won't be acceptable at some unis so check.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending