The Student Room Group

Law Personal Statement - Bangladesh - Irrelevant?

I visited Bangladesh some time ago and would like to mention it in my Law personal statement. I am just not sure about what to include. I understand that Bangladesh is full of corruption and would like to mention this alongside some other things.

Thank you
Reply 1
One of the primary principles of law is just that-the rule of law-which inherently means, rooting out of corruption, ethics, accountability, checks and balances of power, auditing and oversight of governmental and business entities, etc. So, in that context, if your aim and purpose is to play some role in those efforts, whether through law enforcement as a career in law, or working in some other capacity-tie that in to your personal statement, make it relevant to this day and time, but more importantly-the future and what you hope to make of it-in terms of a difference maker. Nothing speaks volume like practical examples, that the reader of your personal statement can relate to or which necessarily illustrates your passion for the pursuit and study of the law.:smile:

Original post by Dragon5555
I visited Bangladesh some time ago and would like to mention it in my Law personal statement. I am just not sure about what to include. I understand that Bangladesh is full of corruption and would like to mention this alongside some other things.

Thank you
Original post by luq_ali
One of the primary principles of law is just that-the rule of law-which inherently means, rooting out of corruption, ethics, accountability, checks and balances of power, auditing and oversight of governmental and business entities, etc. So, in that context, if your aim and purpose is to play some role in those efforts, whether through law enforcement as a career in law, or working in some other capacity-tie that in to your personal statement, make it relevant to this day and time, but more importantly-the future and what you hope to make of it-in terms of a difference maker. Nothing speaks volume like practical examples, that the reader of your personal statement can relate to or which necessarily illustrates your passion for the pursuit and study of the law.:smile:

Thanks Ali! Ali can you become a lawyer in Bangladesh with a UK Law degree and the training/post graduate degree too? I have mentioned bribes being exchanged for favourable decisions in court, corruption in the police, land registration and anti corruption legislation. How do you think I am doing? Totally off track or alright?

Why is Bangladesh's anti-corruption legislation so poorly enforced? Why are bribes exchanged for favourable decisions in court? How can I approach these questions within my personal statement? Thank you
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
I can't answer your questions about Bangladesh, the practice of law there(in terms of UK credentials being used), I don't know those things. In terms of the getting to specific and into great details in your personal statement(and this is just my opinion) about the specific issues in Bangladesh, I would instead opt for a more general, over-arching approach to anti-corruption worldwide, because as bad as you think it is in Bangladesh, there are places where its equal or worse...corruption is a worldwide problem. So unless you are applying to law school solely focused on just Bangladesh, and applying to a program that will only teach you about problems there, the more general approah, in my view, would be best, while acknowledging that the problems there are but a microcosm, on one level or another of problems all around the world. Best wishes to you for much success in your application.

Original post by Dragon5555
Thanks Ali! Ali can you become a lawyer in Bangladesh with a UK Law degree and the training/post graduate degree too? I have mentioned bribes being exchanged for favourable decisions in court, corruption in the police, land registration and anti corruption legislation. How do you think I am doing? Totally off track or alright?

Why is Bangladesh's anti-corruption legislation so poorly enforced? Why are bribes exchanged for favourable decisions in court? How can I approach these questions within my personal statement? Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending