The Student Room Group

Do I need to buy a TV licence?

I'm at uni and I would like to watch live tv and BBC iPlayer. I know this requires a licence but I saw the following on the TV licensing website:
"A halls communal licence won’t cover your room. But you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:
Your out-of-term address (parents’ address) is covered by a TV Licence
AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries
AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains."

Now, my parents have a TV licence so do I need to buy one separately if I watch BBC programmes on my laptop without it plugged into the mains (i.e. the battery is charged up)? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tuffyandtab
I'm at uni and I would like to watch live tv and BBC iPlayer. I know this requires a licence but I saw the following on the TV licensing website:
"A halls communal licence won’t cover your room. But you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:
AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries

Now, my parents have a TV licence so do I need to buy one separately if I watch BBC programmes on my laptop without it plugged into the mains (i.e. the battery is charged up)? Thanks

I'd suggest reading this.
As long as you fulfil the conditions (parents have licence, internal batteries, no aerial) then no you don't. And there's no requirement to tell TV Licensing anything either.

No.

Original post by MrDoggyPants
I'd suggest reading this.

Given that the OP quoted that site, you might have realised they had already read it.
The rules have changed slightly.
The start of the academic year will bring many changes for students, including, for the first time, the need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand on iPlayer. A change in the law means as of 1 September 2016, a licence will be needed to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer.
In reality not much is likely to happen
Enforcement agents may visit your room but remember that you do not have to open the door and definitely do not let them in.
You will probably get letters galore so make sure you know you’re right, inform tv licensing you do t need one and stick to your guns.
If you move into a shared house next year then you’ll probably have to get one and split the cost
Original post by Good bloke
Given that the OP quoted that site, you might have realised they had already read it.

Fair do's.
Reply 6
If you don't need one don't contact them, it just means they will harass you more.
Just as there's no requirement to tell anyone that you don't need a fishing licence, a driving licence or a windfarm licence, there's no requirement to tell anyone you don't need a tv licence.

If you do decide to make contact with TV Licencing (which in reality is Capita plc, a private company) then you'll end up on their database and get follow-up letters to deal with. Why deal with them when you don't have to?
They will probably not be able to track you. I worked in student accommodation for a while and the accommodation team just binned TV licence letters. I wouldn't worry about it. If by some miracle they manage to track you, then just claim ignorance.

As long as you use battery power then it's fine - that's what I did when I lived in student halls. If/when you move into a house in your second year or beyond it's worth checking if a TV licence is included in the rent or getting one and sharing the cost as you'll have a TV then, but for this year just use your device's battery.
Reply 10
Original post by Sammylou40
The rules have changed slightly.
The start of the academic year will bring many changes for students, including, for the first time, the need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand on iPlayer. A change in the law means as of 1 September 2016, a licence will be needed to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer.
In reality not much is likely to happen
Enforcement agents may visit your room but remember that you do not have to open the door and definitely do not let them in.
You will probably get letters galore so make sure you know you’re right, inform tv licensing you do t need one and stick to your guns.
If you move into a shared house next year then you’ll probably have to get one and split the cost

Yes, but the OP is using a device powered by its internal batteries, so is covered by their parents TV licence...
Original post by IWMTom
Yes, but the OP is using a device powered by its internal batteries, so is covered by their parents TV licence...

The law changed on 1 September 2016. You must be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use. Don’t forget, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service

Licensing service.
The law changed on 1 September 2016.

But only to the extent of requiring a licence for iPlayer. The provisions for battery-powered devices are still the same, and the OP's parents' licence is sufficient.
Reply 13
The law changed on 1 September 2016. You must be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use. Don’t forget, you still need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service

Licensing service.

@Good bloke has replied for me on this one - you're very much mistaken, Sammy Lou.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
As long as you use battery power then it's fine - that's what I did when I lived in student halls. If/when you move into a house in your second year or beyond it's worth checking if a TV licence is included in the rent or getting one and sharing the cost as you'll have a TV then, but for this year just use your device's battery.

Original post by IWMTom

How would Capita even know if the laptop was plugged into the mains? Presumably when you plug something in the grid doesn't get notified of what device it is? Unless they physically come into your room and see it plugged in I don't see how they would know, especially when you wouldn't be connected to an aerial.
Reply 15
Original post by Glassapple
How would Capita even know if the laptop was plugged into the mains? Presumably when you plug something in the grid doesn't get notified of what device it is? Unless they physically come into your room and see it plugged in I don't see how they would know, especially when you wouldn't be connected to an aerial.

They don't, haha. Not without looking, anyway. Just ignore them when they try contacting :smile:
Original post by Glassapple

You answered your own question - they would see it plugged in. How do they see it plugged in? You let them in to your premises. Do you have to let them in? No. Can they gain access? Yes, but only if they have a warrant? Will they have one on a first visit? No, of course not. Should you resist any attempt to gain unwarranted entry? Yes, of course, even if you are using it within the law.
It doesn’t matter to me. They are direct quotes from the website
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence?&WT.mc_id=rdir_tvlcouk-lawchange
A license is required to watch any bbc content however and whenever you watch. It’s not a mistake
Original post by IWMTom
@Good bloke has replied for me on this one - you're very much mistaken, Sammy Lou.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
But only to the extent of requiring a licence for iPlayer. The provisions for battery-powered devices are still the same, and the OP's parents' licence is sufficient.

IT does say specifically in the post for iPlayer
Reply 19

Yes, and if you looked a little more carefully, you'd see this: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1

A halls communal licence won’t cover your room. But you may be covered by your parents’ licence. If you think you are, please check that all of the following are true before telling us you don’t need one:

AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending