The Student Room Group

Do I even need to buy any medical textbooks?

I'm a first year medical student and at the moment we are just covering basic science. Topics like gene transcription, metabolism.

My question is if I even need to buy textbooks considering most information can be found on the internet anyway, however my concern being is if that will go into enough detail? For example, for gene transcription, expression etc I've just used Khan Academy, websites and YouTube videos to make notes from. Is this enough or what would you recommend?

The university has given an electronic version of Gray's Anatomy by the way.
Original post by SGHD26716
I'm a first year medical student and at the moment we are just covering basic science. Topics like gene transcription, metabolism.

My question is if I even need to buy textbooks considering most information can be found on the internet anyway, however my concern being is if that will go into enough detail? For example, for gene transcription, expression etc I've just used Khan Academy, websites and YouTube videos to make notes from. Is this enough or what would you recommend?

There is so much stuff available online there's really no need for texts for this sort of stuff.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
There is so much stuff available online there's really no need for texts for this sort of stuff.

Yeah that's what I thought. Just worried if I'm not missing out on any details.

Thanks for replying
Reply 3
You can always check out the texts in your uni library to see if you think they'd add anything to what you're already doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
You can always check out the texts in your uni library to see if you think they'd add anything to what you're already doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for replying. It's what I did today and I seem to be on the right track.
Yeah that's what I thought. Just worried if I'm not missing out on any details.

Thanks for replying

You're concerned there's isn't enough detail on the internet. Oh wow.

The main limitation with the internet is that it can be hard to identify what is important and what isn't. You will need to use lecture notes and the syllabus to guide you. But otherwise, yes that's pretty much what I did. There is enough detail out there i assure you!
Reply 6
Original post by nexttime
You're concerned there's isn't enough detail on the internet. Oh wow.

The main limitation with the internet is that it can be hard to identify what is important and what isn't. You will need to use lecture notes and the syllabus to guide you. But otherwise, yes that's pretty much what I did. There is enough detail out there i assure you!

Thanks for replying.

I guess what I meant was if websites like Khan academy had enough detail. I am currently using the syllabus, although its vague but I guess that's just university in general
Reply 7
Thanks for replying.

I guess what I meant was if websites like Khan academy had enough detail. I am currently using the syllabus, although its vague but I guess that's just university in general

Speak to students in the years above, and ask them what resources they used. As they've gone through the exams themselves, they'll know what level of detail is required at your medical school and you can tailor your resources accordingly.

I always used online resources when I was revising except for anatomy for which I used Grey's. Buying a textbook is a waste of money (for me, at least) although I guess it depends how you prefer to learn as well.
If you want more detail, read some cell/nature reviews
Reply 9
Original post by Angury
Speak to students in the years above, and ask them what resources they used. As they've gone through the exams themselves, they'll know what level of detail is required at your medical school and you can tailor your resources accordingly.

I always used online resources when I was revising except for anatomy for which I used Grey's. Buying a textbook is a waste of money (for me, at least) although I guess it depends how you prefer to learn as well.

Thanks a lot. It seems most first years last year used only tortora

Just read on any types of platform what medical textbooks are the best. So far, I'm using Becker and Kaplan to help me. For details, I read Harrison's or Kumar & Clark. The rests you can find more if you follow medical students discussion room on the internet, I would say anywhere is good e.g. Reddit. Utorrent also helps me to download stuffs.

I'm not gonna list all the textbooks that you should know. That's for you to find. Goodluck! Just type on Google, "blablabla pdf free download" and click click click. Then you have them.

Just my recommendations, Khan Academy is not that useful. I'd rather you subscribe to Dr Najeeb lectures. Another recommendations:
- Goljan
- Pathoma
- Harsh Mohan

Goodluck buddy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending